Hired by a Guard Unit after Unsponsored Reserve slot?

I’m currently enlisted in the ANG. I Have all my tests done, bachelors degree, ready to apply to guard units.  I’m currently in contact with a reserve recruiter for an unsponsored board.  My question is, can I get hired unsponsored, and in the time frame of waiting to go to OTS, interview and get hired by a Gaurd Unit and take the Gaurd route instead?  My basis for this is I’m 26 years old and I want to get the ball rolling on getting into UPT.  I really want fighters and plan on sending my package to both Wisconsin and Minnesota or whatever unit has a hiring board in the next few months. Should I wait to go unsponsored until I hear back from these units or other Gaurd units, or just go ahead and get unsponsored and still interview at Gaurd units?  

Thanks

At 26 you still have alot of time left to find a fighter unit. Once you start UPT on the reserve dime, it will be practically impossible to switch to guard. Leave the unsponsored route as a backup...just my 2 cents.

7 hours ago, va121mir said:

At 26 you still have alot of time left to find a fighter unit. Once you start UPT on the reserve dime, it will be practically impossible to switch to guard. Leave the unsponsored route as a backup...just my 2 cents.

Appreciate the response. It sucks because in reality I don’t have a lot of time.  I’m 26, but some of these units that post their boards require being hired before the age of 27. Currently one of the tanker units has this requirement. I think I’ll wait it out in the next 6 months and apply only to Gaurd units. 

@dt92 Typically the age limit is 28 or 28.5 for guard units. I have never seen it at 27. Plus, some units, even fighter units, are willing to do age waivers. Since you are in the guard already, it should be pretty easy for you to get a FC1 knocked out at wright pat. Having a cleared FC1 will def help your chances. If you have already taken the AFOQT and TBAS and your scores are ok then apply with what you have now and plan on retaking it. Also, get as much flight time as you can.

Additionally, I know some dudes that got picked up at fighter units past 30. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

The default route for an unsponsored AFRC dude is T-1's.  After you get selected, you start shelling out emails to all units, and you'll find out quickly that there are maybe half a dozen reserve fighter units that can even sponsor you.  It's an uphill battle from the start, and the odds are against you.  If you're up for the fight, it's not impossible to get yourself a fighter sponsorship.  My route was insanely complicated, but I did recently go through this exact situation, and happened to come out on top.

You can go through the entire Unsponsored process up to being gained by the 340th and still have apps out to ANG fighter units.  If that is what you want to fly, pursue all options simultaneously.  Water flows where it can.  Your AFRC recruiter will want you to only pursue AFRC units because he's putting all the work into pushing your package forward, but you can and should branch out as much as possible.    

• 7 months later...
On 7/26/2018 at 1:21 AM, Brudog13 said:

The default route for an unsponsored AFRC dude is T-1's.  After you get selected, you start shelling out emails to all units, and you'll find out quickly that there are maybe half a dozen reserve fighter units that can even sponsor you.  It's an uphill battle from the start, and the odds are against you.  If you're up for the fight, it's not impossible to get yourself a fighter sponsorship.  My route was insanely complicated, but I did recIently go through this exact situation, and happened to come out on top.

You can go through the entire Unsponsored process up to being gained by the 340th and still have apps out to ANG fighter units.  If that is what you want to fly, pursue all options simultaneously.  Water flows where it can.  Your AFRC recruiter will want you to only pursue AFRC units because he's putting all the work into pushing your package forward, but you can and should branch out as much as possible.    

I was told that if you received a pilot slot (specifically unsponsored, like my case) from AFRES and didn't use it, you'd be "disqualified per regulations" from receiving another pilot slot. For me, I'm an AFROTC junior & AFRES unsponsored select and would like to apply for one or two local guard units...

I’d ask for a source on that. If you SIE from UPT, that’s one thing, but I’m skeptical you giving up an unsponsored RES slot to pick up an ANG slot prior to starting UPT would be an issue. You could probably even do that while in UPT (though I’m sure it’d be harder/more paperwork required).

On 3/7/2019 at 5:52 PM, NodakMaryland said:

I was told that if you received a pilot slot (specifically unsponsored, like my case) from AFRES and didn't use it, you'd be "disqualified per regulations" from receiving another pilot slot. For me, I'm an AFROTC junior & AFRES unsponsored select and would like to apply for one or two local guard units...

NodakMaryland,   Being a Guard guy and currently on a ROTC tour, your main issue with getting a pilot slot with a Guard unit will be that you haven't completed your degree yet.  Most units I know want the degree in hand plus a bunch of civilian flying hours and a PPL (especially if you aren't already an enlisted dude in that wing).  Now, if a unit is desperate enough, maybe they'd take a look at you.  If you are in Maryland, I seriously doubt the Maryland ANG A-10 or C-130 units or any of the Andrews AFB units would be that desperate.  If I were you, I'd keep the AFRES slot in hand, finish ROTC, finish UPT, find a AFRES unit, attempt to transfer to the ANG later.  I just learned that there are only 2 ROTC cadets nationwide in this FY who will commission and go straight into the Guard (point being: it is a hard route to take). 

Edited by VigilanteNav

Appreciate the response. It sucks because in reality I don’t have a lot of time.  I’m 26, but some of these units that post their boards require being hired before the age of 27. Currently one of the tanker units has this requirement. I think I’ll wait it out in the next 6 months and apply only to Gaurd units. 

Having just gone through the application process, I can say that I’ve never seen “before 27” at any of the fighter units I saw. They were all before 28 and a couple that were said 28.5.

I’m 27 and just got hired, so don’t give up on fighters if that’s your dream.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app