Army Officer to USAF Pilot

I'm currently a 2LT on Active Duty in the Army (non-aviation). Although, I'm excited to serve the next three years of my contract, I'm interested in becoming a pilot in the USAF, either on Active Duty or in the Reserves . I'm currently deployed and have had a great experience interacting with the crew of a C5 on the way into theater and my long term goal is to learn how to fly fixed wing.  I've also heard there's been a pilot shortage for quite some time.

Is it possible to pivot my career into the Air Force and become a pilot? If so, what does that process look like?

First off, the USAF NEVER has a problem in recruiting pilots. The problem is in retaining the ones they have, in the mist of airline hiring booms through the years. Your best chance of obtaining a SUPT slot would be going AFRes or AF ANG. That way, you can select your aircraft and location. Active duty would not be impossible but extremely difficult if doable as a previous non AF Commissioned Officer.

Edited by alwyn2d

You can transfer to the AD AF if the “green to blue” program is still a thing. If that works, you can then apply for the AD UPT board. Or, serve your three years in the Army and go for an ANG UPT hiring board slot. The latter is the best option in my opinion - you’ll have about 4 years before you’re too old (assuming your ~22-23 right now). But, the downside is you need to have a plan for what you’ll do for work post-Army, prior to ANG employment. The easiest plan may be to transfer directly into an ANG unit that flies what you want to fly. Go initially into whatever career field is available/most similar to your MOS, then try to get a UPT slot through them on their next board. 

Edited by brabus