Cancer Research for Flight Crews

Cap-10

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello,

First, Thank you for your service to our country. I am a former Navy Plane Captain. "Brown Shirt", worked flight deck in the 90's Persian Gulf stuff. Recently diagnosed and treated for Thyroid. Worked EA6B electronic counter measure squadron and can remember more than one occasion my skin crawling from being painted with Radar aboard and during ground facility work. I love when the issue is not the injury but fighting the inertia of scientific understanding with an arbitrary designation of "ionizing/non-ionizing" as it pertains to tissue effects.

I have only started to try to pull together a research list. But did find this right off the bat.
http://exp-oncology.com.ua/article/1845/long-term-exposure-to-microwave-radiation-provokes-cancer-growth-evidences-from-radars-and-mobile-communication-systems

If anyone else has links to other, even peripheral research, put up some links. I have made an injury claim for my issue and am gathering the needed research to prove a case.

Martin

• 4 months later...

This is interesting to me, a friend of mine in med school and I (an engineering student) saw this research and may look into making some gear to mitigate these risks. I don't want to post all the details on the internet, but this is something that probably will be addressed in the near future.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The F-111 had five radars.  It is not impossible that a crew might not have put them to stand by until after the crew chief parked their jet.

• 1 month later...

I was in the air force from 1980-1984 in sept 1982 while working the mid-shift, I was delivering a part to the fb-111a and walked in front of the open nose cone while tech's were testing the tfr and ars system while hooked up to the apu....i noticed the tfr were sweeping and the ars was doing the same. I was waved off to get out of the way...they(tech) shut down the aircraft and stopped transmitting. They contacted the flightline Sgt and I was taken to the ER at 0053. When I went in the LTC told me that it wouldn't show till the long term....and now its showing. Lost all my Teeth, nodules in chest, pain in shoulders, and others.

Any help in this matter would be great....i do still have the er paperwork that it did happen VA needs more proof.

Thanks.

john 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
On 8/15/2019 at 12:43 PM, matmacwc said:

So this directly effects me and some of my friends. I was diagnosed 4 years ago thus my unplanned retirement. I hope this really isnt a "thing" but the trend is alarming.

https://www.sacbee.com/news/nation-world/national/article234008952.html

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Rest in peace, brother.  Nickel on the grass.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Buddy Spike said:

Pyro headed west yesterday morning after a long battle with cancer.  

Very sorry to hear this. My condolences to all who knew him. I only knew him here, but he contributed a lot over the years.

Rest in Peace, Pyro.

🍺

• 1 month later...

Thank you. This was supposed to be simple, but ended up being slightly more complicated. 2 surgeries and (so far) one round of Radioactive Iodine. Find out next week if I am finally done and can work on getting my medical back. Will post that process later, when it is complete, to help others.

Several people, both AF and Army I was in Afghanistan with have been diagnosed with the same "interesting" (Doctor's words not mine) Thyroid cancer.

What do you think the VA said?

Not service connected.

Will also post the results of that battle when it concludes.... in 20 years.

Go to the doctor every year. If you don't like to do that at least have blood work done. My cancer was found by accident, never would have been found at all until it was to late if my Family Doctor hadn't noticed something in my blood work that just didn't look right to him. 

Edited by Butters
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• 2 months later...
  • M2 changed the title to Cancer Research for Flight Crews
  • M2 featured and pinned this topic
  • 1 year later...

Afrl led study, shows increased rates for fighter aviators..  more to come

https://www.defenseone.com/threats/2021/10/cancers-strike-us-fighter-pilots-crews-higher-rates-air-force-finds/186324/

Compared to their non-fighter peers, the study found, fighter pilots and their crew were 29 percent more likely to be diagnosed with testicular cancer; 24 percent more likely to be diagnosed with melanoma; and 23 percent more likely to be diagnosed with prostate cancer. 

When compared to the general U.S. population, fighter aviators were 13 percent more likely to be diagnosed with non-Hodgkin lymphoma, 25 percent more likely to be diagnosed with melanoma, and 19 percent more likely to be diagnosed with prostate cancer. The study also found that the fighter aviators had similar rates of other types of cancer, such as brain cancer, compared to non-flying Air Force officers. And compared to the general U.S. population, they had lower rates in several categories, including renal, thyroid, and urinary cancer.  

• 1 year later...

The mechanism by which non-ionizing radiation is leading to these cancers continues to be challenged by the status quo establishment. In fairness, this presentation didn't really provide an insight into how said mechanism (alpha-ERD) promotes the cell decay we know as cancer. I think he makes a very compelling argument for how the magnetic field induced by high power RF bleed into the cockpit, messes with your short-term functioning, but that's not what this is about in the end. All we have is correlation (our anecdotal observations as mil pilots, ergo members of a high-incidence demographic).

I went down the rabbit hole of cosmic radiation wrt airline pilots, and skin cancers. Those have a lot easier mechanisms to understand and causally point to. The circadian rhythm disruption is another one that the status quo likes to downplay, but even that one is easy to understand in the literature available. The cell-restoring processes associated with sleep on a predictable schedule are straight up robbed of that opportunity on a chronic basis by those who choose to work in shift occupations of the WOCL kind. Add on top of that a propensity for cell mis-repair associated with advanced age independent of exposure (aka airlining/shift-working in your 60s) and this is where the cargo/redeye folks suffer the most, much as they like to downplay circadian swaps (relative to their diurnal loved ones at home, which force the swap effectively) as not statistically significant to their peer group cancer incidence. After all, few people would want to publicly admit their pursuit of [proverbial] 400K/yr might be knowingly killing you early. 

It is certainly a fascinating topic to continue research on, especially as those with vested interests who absolutely do not want to ever concede there could be a chronic mechanism where non-ionizing radiation sources could be pinpointed as carcinogenic, least of which the VA. The fight continues.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

fwiw...

Certain health practices will never see the light of day in terms of well funded trials...sorta like cancer itself, too much money to be had in the treatment to bother looking TOO hard for a cure.

That said, my personal quiver includes both daily intermittent, and long term fasting.  Lots of content out there for your consumption from the likes of Attia, Huberman, Patrick, etc.  My regimen is 24h per week, 1 x 72h per month, 1x 120h per quarter.  I'd explain the benefits but I've got a pilot's level grasp of communication, so I point you to the above Doctors. The goodness is brought to you by the vocabulary words cellular autophagy, mitophogy, stem cel production, gluconeogenesis, among others.

Enjoy