Space Force

bennynova

WO billets come from officer numbers.

When the E-8 and E-9 ranks were created, the AF killed the WO billets to accommodate.

43 minutes ago, ThreeHoler said:

No shit. But WOs count against officer billets regardless of what the AF did after getting rid of WOs.

And this is what every discussion started by enlisted guys about how making them WOs would solve all problems is missing. 

4 hours ago, SurelySerious said:

And this is what every discussion started by enlisted guys about how making them WOs would solve all problems is missing. 

Plus...civilians are "cheaper" in the long run.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/11/2018 at 12:08 PM, SurelySerious said:

IMHO I will give a enlisted POV. Lets say you have a 15 year TIS MSgt who is the go to guy for whatever Sq he is in, for the sake of argument a Aircraft MX Sq since that is my background. He is great at making sure today's schedule has jets to full fill the contracted request from Ops. Deploys more than his fair share and works the crummy shift . His troops are trained and ready. 

Now this same NCO gets called into the E-9's office to discuss his future, gets berated for not taking part in the Top 4 activities, not being at the last 4 years Xmas parties (deployed), no bake sales, and only going to PME graduations if he has a troop graduating. No Senior Rater endorsement for you. You leave the office thinking that guy is a douche bag and why the hell would I ever want to be a Chief. Then your thinking its going to be a long 5 years . 

Now the USAF has this option of the WO program, its a no brainer.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
18 minutes ago, HU&W said:

So, it’s official. It’s in the NDAA. And there’s a website. https://www.spaceforce.mil

Looks like everyone that was in AFSPC is now in the USSF.  They’re still Airmen in the Air Force, but will transition in the next 18 months  

That website feels like, “oh, crap...this is happening? Uhhh, copy-paste...copy-paste. Generic line about being under the secaf sts. Do we have a logo?”

7 hours ago, HU&W said:

Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, Marines, and _________?

This, along with uniforms and the logo, are the main things being talked about outside the USSF launch team, actually. (Not even joking. If you can’t do something impactful, better do something visible...).

So far the lead contenders are “Vangaurds”, and “Sentinels”. Sounds a bit space-adventurey/2001-ish if you ask me. 

Im surprised they aren’t considering other options... 

Chuck

1 hour ago, Chuck17 said:

This, along with uniforms and the logo, are the main things being talked about outside the USSF launch team, actually. (Not even joking. If you can’t do something impactful, better do something visible...).

So far the lead contenders are “Vangaurds”, and “Sentinels”. Sounds a bit space-adventurey/2001-ish if you ask me. 

Im surprised they aren’t considering other options... 

Chuck

As much as it seems it shouldn’t, these things matter.  Look at the stumbles in the AF over the last 30 years in logo/motto/slogan/creed/uniforms as we’ve tried to balance modernization with heritage and culture (all while fighting for relevance).  They need to get this right, so heritage and culture can grow from the start.