Space Force

bennynova

Memes. Not that anybody gives a shit about my opinion, but I think a space force is appropriate. The future will be interesting, better to get our force structured now than to be reactive after the fact. 

2F6B6EDF-7886-4428-92D7-C6621BACD90E.jpeg

2nd claim...from a classic...and 5% because it's not sleep-'apnis' and it might be 'Space-Burn-pit' related which has unknown side effects and needs further review and a registry...

20180622_100236.jpg

Congressmen Mike Rogers said that he expects Space Force language to be in the 2020 NDAA. So this may actually become a possibility sooner than most people think. Especially now that the Air Force cant publicly go against what President Trump has said. If it does materialize, do you think that they would just pull people from the space AFSC's, or do you think that they would ultimately pull in folks from other AFSC's (like security forces, logistics, intel, etc.) in order to man this new force? I'm wondering because non space related AFSC's currently fall under Air Force Space Command.

• 1 month later...

The United States set a goal on Thursday of creating a new, sixth branch of the U.S. military by 2020 known as the “Space Force” and said it was working to build necessary support in Congress for President Donald Trump’s plan.

“Ultimately, Congress must act to establish this new department, which will organize, train and equip the United States Space Force,” Vice President Mike Pence told an audience at the Pentagon, saying the “Space Force” was an idea “whose time has come.”

We can't even get a uniform right in 4 years, how are we going to figure out a new branch of service?

7 hours ago, matmacwc said:

I think VP Pence is announcing the new space force right now

Here's a chance to vote on the new Space Force Logo; Personally, I wish they would use the old USSPACECOM Patch. The original USSPACECOM, which was a Combatant Command back in the day, had a lifespan of 17 years (1985 - 2002). If our leadership is really serious - then maybe this new version of a Space Force/Space Command will last longer then 17 years this round. 

Image result for space force logo

http://time.com/5363058/donald-trump-campaign-space-force-logo/

Edited by waveshaper

2 hours ago, waveshaper said:

Here's a chance to vote on the new Space Force Logo; Personally, I wish they would use the old USSPACECOM Patch. The original USSPACECOM, which was a Combatant Command back in the day, had a lifespan of 17 years (1985 - 2002). If our leadership is really serious - then maybe this new version of a Space Force/Space Command will last longer then 17 years this round. 

Image result for space force logo

http://time.com/5363058/donald-trump-campaign-space-force-logo/

No way these will work, not a green man or flying saucer to be found. Unacceptable.

Space Force by 2020 😂😂

Based on the given timeline for the light attack aircraft (proposal out Dec 2018, bid awarded Q4 FY19) + dispute delays, we’ll apparently have Space Force before we can manage to buy a single god damned AT-6, and we needed a fleet of them about 15 years ago. 

GL to the poor bastards at the pentagon who have to work this! Maybe they can commiserate with the guys planning the $12m parade in DC 🙄

• Like 2

Space Force by 2020
Based on the given timeline for the light attack aircraft (proposal out Dec 2018, bid awarded Q4 FY19) + dispute delays, we’ll apparently have Space Force before we can manage to buy a single god damned AT-6, and we needed a fleet of them about 15 years ago. 
GL to the poor bastards at the pentagon who have to work this! Maybe they can commiserate with the guys planning the $12m parade in DC

We don’t need LA, we need Space Force and we needed it yesterday.

21 hours ago, Champ Kind said:

Am I the only one that thinks we need (and could have more immediate impact with) a cyber force more at this point?

Granted I'm institutionalized at this point, but I'm still not convinced a separate service is the right move for our domain at this point.  There needs to be a lot of figuring out of authorities and everyone's hands in the pie for IT vs. Cyber Ops/Def.

Space has a longer history, and once had their own command.  I can't believe I'm writing this, but 468 days until I retire...so my give a cyber-shit is low.

Plus I've had to argue with SSgt's/Lt's about why there's not going to be Cyber-WO's anytime soon, and they're convinced Enlisted Jesus is going to make it happen like OCPs.

22 hours ago, Champ Kind said:

Am I the only one that thinks we need (and could have more immediate impact with) a cyber force more at this point?

I'm hoping that 'space' includes cyberspace.  It's a better fit than what we have now.

Granted I'm institutionalized at this point, but I'm still not convinced a separate service is the right move for our domain at this point.  There needs to be a lot of figuring out of authorities and everyone's hands in the pie for IT vs. Cyber Ops/Def.
Space has a longer history, and once had their own command.  I can't believe I'm writing this, but 468 days until I retire...so my give a cyber-shit is low.
Plus I've had to argue with SSgt's/Lt's about why there's not going to be Cyber-WO's anytime soon, and they're convinced Enlisted Jesus is going to make it happen like OCPs.

Concur with your points about authorities and figuring out how to do it. My concern about separating space goes to your second point about WOs. We have a difficult enough time integrating blue capes across domains. How does separating space enable us to integrate more effectively?

I’m confused about your cyber WO comment. There already are Cyber WOs. http:// https://www.nellis.af.mil/News/Article/1377840/328th-wps-cyber-course-revs-up-weapons-officer-development/

1 hour ago, Warrior said:

Concur with your points about authorities and figuring out how to do it. My concern about separating space goes to your second point about WOs. We have a difficult enough time integrating blue capes across domains. How does separating space enable us to integrate more effectively?

I’m confused about your cyber WO comment. There already are Cyber WOs. http:// https://www.nellis.af.mil/News/Article/1377840/328th-wps-cyber-course-revs-up-weapons-officer-development/

Probably Cyber Warrant Officers. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Warrior said:

Sorry, lack of clarity on my part, Surely got it right - I meant Cyber Warrant Officers.  We haven't actually referred to our Patches as WO's strangely.  Usually it's "Patch" or Weapons Officer...huh, just realized that.

I don't think popping off space is going to make us integrate any more, or less effectively for cyber.  I imagine there's going to be some of my ilk that cross over, and the Army and Marines will lose their chunk of personnel as well.

From my perch, cyber integrates "Ok" now, and everyone wants it.  So we have more conversations now than I've seen before.  Some good (Oh, you can do X to their capes?) and some bad (What do you mean you can't hack the missile in flight?) .  I'm not talking about NIPR, which is getting better as leadership has actually figured out you've got to pay for the systems to actually get jets off the ground.