Space Force

bennynova

The house has already approved up to a Space Corp in last year's NDAA. I distinctly remember it because it made the news as this awesome thing people thought was cool. When POTUS announced it, it was ridiculed with some of the best starship troopers memes to date. 

By the wording Corp I think they are envisioning a model similar to the Marines. Separate service but falls neatly under Deparent of the AF. 

More bureaucracy in short.   As of right now I envision a separate branch that does not add any capabilites that we do not already possess.  While I get the AF separating from the Army didn't change much we at least were big enough to warrant the split.  As far as space, what would be the benefit?  One unified command?  Isn't that why we have Space Comm or whatever it's called that is full of joint billets?  All I really see is an expansion of red tape and more pointless upper management. 

Now if someone actually unified some other agencies underneath it (NRO and such) then it would make more sense.  But instead what will happen is this thing will stand up, we'll keep Space Comm, and then other DoD areas will maintain their own space assets.  What was truly accomplished?

Side note, what would a deployment for them look like? Go to California and kick it with Elon?

I see the benefits as follows:

1. Space will be priority for the SF, rather than a side job of the other services.  

2. We will finally be more military-ish than another branch, and can make fun of them for being pussies, and still make fun of the other services for being gay retards.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Well to my understanding, congress was pushing the Space Corps back in the day, and now they have the oval office talking it up, so it looks like it just might happen now.

As long as it doesn't dip into the budget of our operations, it might help give our upper leadership a bit more focus on combat operations. I also agree that it would help the average Airman's image as more of a warrior than a shoe clerk. Real logistical and bureaucratic clusterfuck though. Basic training, officer training, PME, uniforms, etc etc etc. It probably won't pan out to have been worth it for about another 69 years.

32 minutes ago, xcraftllc said:

Well to my understanding, congress was pushing the Space Corps back in the day, and now they have the oval office talking it up, so it looks like it just might happen now.

Yes, it passed in the house in 2017 but died in the Senate due to AF opposition at the time.  https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-bill/2810/text/eh#toc-HD6CAA416CAF74D1B9DE4FC89CF24A69F

Text below of what passed.  Based on today's announcement of it being organized similarly to the Marines relationship with Navy, I'd expect it to be similar to what passed previously

-----------------------------------

Establishment.—Not later than January 1, 2019, the Secretary of Defense shall establish in the executive part of the Department of the Air Force a Space Corps. The function of the Space Corps shall be to assist the Secretary of the Air Force in carrying out the duties described in subsection

Composition.—The Space Corps shall be composed of the following:

The Chief of Staff of the Space Corps.

Such other offices and officials as may be established by law or as the Secretary of the Air Force, in consultation with the Chief of Staff of the Space Corps, may establish or designate.

Duties.—Except as otherwise specifically prescribed by law, the Space Corps shall be organized in such manner, and the members of the Space Corps shall perform, such duties and have such titles, as the Secretary may prescribe. Such duties shall include—

(1) protecting the interests of the United States in space;

(2) deterring aggression in, from, and through space;

(3) providing combat-ready space forces that enable the commanders of the combatant commands to fight and win wars;

(4) organizing, training, and equipping space forces; and

(5) conducting space operations of the Space Corps under the command of the Commander of the United States Space Command.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

Does a Space Force mean we get more satellites? If so, does that mean the military budget will increase by that much? Is there a reason the USAF is unable to use that same money to gain whatever capability the Space Force would bring?

Seems like a USSF would just bring the same capes to the table (still can’t count on GPS!) while building a huge personnel bureaucracy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Majestik Møøse said:

Ah, no, the coverage is fine. I was referring to the relative ease of denying the signal with a jammer over a large area. 

Oooooooo ok gottcha. Wel yeah that checks super easy. I thought you were talking about something else.