Gouge Request: How to log tax free months from last year

Guest LumberjackAxe

Guest LumberjackAxe

I was deployed to a location last year that wasn't considered tax free, nor were the missions. However, now the missions are considered to be tax free, retroactively including 2017.

What paperwork do I need for finance to pay me my taxes back? TDY orders, flight authorizations, 781, a written statement?

Also, one of my buddies took the rotator out to Dhafra. He crossed into CentCom on the 31st, but landed on the 1st of the next month. How can you tell finance that you actually shouldn't pay taxes for that previous month?

There’s a form to fill out, 1881 I think.  You just need to cite the applicable regulation and paragraph designating that area as CZTE, and then explain in plain English what you did.  Retroactive should be ok... it usually took my finance several months to process, but they were used to processing the 1881s.  We usually attached something as proof, like CED orders, flight orders, 781s, DTS voucher, etc.  Not sure how it works going back years though.  YMMV.  

A DTS voucher covering the location and dates should suffice.  If you got the tax free a non-traditional way (like overflight of that one area near Kosovo that is still somehow tax free) you need to explain it with an 1881.

Anything 2017 finance can't pay out directly.  I think the best they can do is give you a corrected W-2 and then you will need to file an amendment with the IRS for the 2017 tax year.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, the g-man said:

Anything 2017 finance can't pay out directly.  I think the best they can do is give you a corrected W-2 and then you will need to file an amendment with the IRS for the 2017 tax year.

This exact thing. They will give you a corrected W2 and you’d have to refile.