What's your favorite mission?

I know some of this information is scattered around on different threads, but I was hoping to make a more comprehensive and easier to access list. If there is already a post that accomplishes this, I apologize in advance for not finding it.

What is the most rewarding or fun type of mission that you fly? I know this is likely limited by air frame, but as a wannabe pilot I'd like to know more about what cool mission are out there. Whether it's close air support, aeromedical evac, or left turns for 12 hours over the sandbox I'd love to know more! If you could give an explanation with your response that would be great too. Thank you for any input!

Teaching T-38 students tactical formation even though I’m not an 11F. 

It is either that or airborne quarterbacking closehold missions in places that Americans don’t belong at. 

Edited by Standby
  • Haha 5

Teaching T-38 students tactical formation even though I’m not an 11F. 
It is either that or airborne quarterbacking closehold missions in places that Americans don’t belong at. 

Using heading bugs and counting right?
  • Haha 1

I enjoy flying as little as possible, to give myself “white space”. White space, as I have learned from management, means time not uselessly flying, but sitting in my office doing fun things. Fun things like help a copilot come up with 60-90 bullets for an awards package that I found out about yesterday and is due by COB today.  I find that using a thesaurus and using little tricks to massage more fluff into bullets in order to use all the space on every line in a desperate attempt to appease my vanity while being dishonest about the actual work we do is thrilling.  

Its the worst when flying gets in the way of my real job.  Since flying doesn’t help me get strats, I like to avoid it to the max extent possible.   I strive to plan parties, volunteer for dick-watch, support mission support troops by doing their jobs, and volunteer to help others learn to stop their inner rapist.  If I do these things well, I can go home after a long days’ work, and masturbate to my OPR strats in good conscience, like a good AF officer.  

Edited by flyusaf83
  • Like 8
  • Haha 4
  • Upvote 1

Totally thought this thread was going to get flamed down with “Use The Search Function”

Now it’s turning out to be shitting on Hacker lol. He had a great point. Currently in the U-28 community people can’t do VFR patterns unless they have the missed approach fix / runway in the GPS with a GD bearing pointer.

To the original poster: I have been both a B-1 pilot and U-28 driver. By far the most rewarding aspect of my job has been being in places I never thought I’d be in and giving great support to guys on the ground.

In both communities I never thought I’d be stuck at the Deid flying an 18 hour mission after the entire F15 fleet got grounded and I never thought I’d be in blah blah blah because I’m in AFSOC and it is classified.

BL: You will learn to love whatever you do and have great memories with the people you have done it with. Everyone’s mission is the best because you identify with it and the people you support.

• Like 1

I call bull shit. Show me the reg. Sounds like pure technique assclownery. 

It’s not regulatory. Folks got so used to shooting AMP-3/4 approaches with that method they started to do it while conducting VFR patterns.

Now folks are dependent on it.

1 hour ago, Skitzo said:

It’s not regulatory. Folks got so used to shooting AMP-3/4 approaches with that method they started to do it while conducting VFR patterns.

Now folks are dependent on it.

Gotcha missed the tone of your post. Figured it out eventually lol. 

Find the fun wherever you end up.

In the C-17, flying (literally) around the world over the course of about 2 weeks as a brand new aircraft commander. Flying a 400k lb jet low level at 300 knots at 300' in formation to an airdrop. Airdropping supplies to FOBs in Afghanistan. 37-ship formation across a DZ during an exercise.

Teaching a LT how to fly the T-6 and sending them out on their first T-6 solo. Taking a T-6 solo and raging in the MOA against your buddy, or just cloud surfing. Watching your students pin on their pilot wings. Seeing how many aileron rolls you can do in a row.

As crappy as the AF can be at times, there have been moments that I treasure, knowing that I've gotten to do things that many people only dream of getting to do.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I loved going to the tanker. The gunpig was on the forward edge of its energy curve and the tanker wanted to fall out of the sky, all at low altitude and at night. 

Some guys in the community love to shoot. I think the greatest part of the mission was seeing dudes go home and watching the exfil with no friendlier maimed/injures/killed. Added perk if you got to meet them later on and they had a “thanks for saving my ass” story. 

Edited by war007afa

Urgent medevac.  Nothing clarifies your purpose like saving a life.  It can leave you wholly spent because giving anything less than perfection is not an option, but is worth it.

...formation combat airdrop and down range dirt LZs are a close second.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

What you like the most will change based on your experience, how many times you’ve done it etc.

A few hours ago I was doing a 500kt low level through the mountains for 30 min followed by 30 min 2v1 DACT.

When I was young I would’ve given my left ball for that flight. Today I wanted to land, debrief early and go pick up my kids from school.

After ~3,500 hours and 16.9 years, what things I look forward to flying have completely changed.

I’d have traded today’s flight for an out and back to get a good meal.

Overall, I’d say providing support to a TIC in the Koranghal from an alert launch was the coolest rush ever. Nothing has compared to that or come close. Killing bad guys is as cool as it sounds.

My *overall favorite “rewarding job” 3 years was as a T-38 UPT IP.

Right now, it’s all about lifestyle so where my family lives and work/home balance is key.

Lastly, I have friends who got their #1 fighter out of UPT and were miserable. I also have friends who dreamt of being fighter pilots and got a heavy who are loving life.

Have a good attitude, realize no airframe / mission is perfect and don’t be a blue kool aid drinking d-bag...it’ll work out for you.

Now I’m gonna go flog myself for liking my AETC tour.

• Like 6
  • Upvote 3

6 hours ago, di1630 said:

Now I’m gonna go flog myself for liking my AETC tour.

No need, I’m in the same boat. Gray jets were fun for the reasons you stated, but I have gotten far more satisfaction out of being a T-6 driver in UPT and now in PIT.  I loved helping young guys the basic skill set they will use for the rest of their careers and seeing the light bulb turn on. PIT is less fulfilling that way, but the flying and squadron is great.   Family life is great.  SA is a good city.

I feel way more like a real pilot in AETC than I ever did in ACC. I know that’s sad.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, FourFans130 said:

Urgent medevac.  Nothing clarifies your purpose like saving a life.  It can leave you wholly spent because giving anything less than perfection is not an option, but is worth it.

...formation combat airdrop and down range dirt LZs are a close second.

Few things validated our purpose in H-3's back in '06 (IMHO), more than being launched for a live AE ALPHA Alert - extremely rare.  One hour from the call to wheels up headed to OAXX x 2 to hopefully make a difference.

Was an incredible symphony of coordination and precision, all with the Top 3 there at the plane, watching our every move.

Agree with the last two as well!

• Like 2