Honest feedback

PTM.24

Hey fellas,

I am looking for advice on my current situation.  I have recently been selected to fly heavies at my home station guard unit (historically a highly competitive unit to get into) however, I am still pursuing the fighter route.  I am going to preface my questions by stating that I have been upfront with my leadership and the UPT board with my aspirations.  They have been nothing but supportive and understanding.

So, fighter guys.  Do you think it is wise to use my current position as leverage toward reaching a single seat?  Is there some appeal to knowing a candidate has been selected by another unit?  Overall what are your thoughts on my situation?  Lastly, I currently work in Operations as an enlisted flyer.  Does that carry any weight?

I have my FC1 selected but not yet completed and I am first in line for TFOT FY19 dates.  I intend to continue applying for fighters until the option has exhausted itself.  My scores are good but have one glaring low score... P96 N87 AA23 V38 Q16

Thanks in advance for the advice and feedback,

T

I don't imagine any unit would care if you were selected by another unit. I could almost see that attempting to use it as leverage will be seen as a negative, as it seems kind of manipulative.  I was recently picked up for unsponsored but I can tell you the average scores for the board I was on was P91 N72 AA60 V63 Q55. From what I have heard from asking around other units the whole person concept is what they initially go off of and if they have two people they really like then it goes down to the scores. You didnt post your GPA or PCSM or Flying hours so I am not sure I can form an accurate opinion on your scores other than good job on the Pilot portion of the AFOQT.  Id personally like to say congratulations on receiving heavies, I was a previous 1A251 and being apart of a crew was what made the job fun and exciting. I can understand wanting to try for fighters as its probably your only opportunity to do it now, but I dont think viewing your heavy unit as leverage does well for the whole person concept.  I could almost see it as a negative if you mentioned it because just getting a position in a unit is something people are currently fighting to receive. Kind of like dating a girl and telling her if a hotter girl accepts you then you're going to bounce. 

Anyways good luck applying but if it doesn't happen I am sure you are going to love heavies! Imagine all the bathroom breaks in flight and food you can cook in the ovens. 

GPA 3.26

PCSM 74 (21 flight hours)

Maybe leverage isn't the correct term to use.  Thanks, I am excited to have the opportunity.

4 minutes ago, HDESP said:

I don't imagine any unit would care if you were selected by another unit. I could almost see that attempting to use it as leverage will be seen as a negative, as it seems kind of manipulative.  I was recently picked up for unsponsored but I can tell you the average scores for the board I was on was P91 N72 AA60 V63 Q55. From what I have heard from asking around other units the whole person concept is what they initially go off of and if they have two people they really like then it goes down to the scores. You didnt post your GPA or PCSM or Flying hours so I am not sure I can form an accurate opinion on your scores other than good job on the Pilot portion of the AFOQT.  Id personally like to say congratulations on receiving heavies, I was a previous 1A251 and being apart of a crew was what made the job fun and exciting. I can understand wanting to try for fighters as its probably your only opportunity to do it now, but I dont think viewing your heavy unit as leverage does well for the whole person concept.  I could almost see it as a negative if you mentioned it because just getting a position in a unit is something people are currently fighting to receive. Kind of like dating a girl and telling her if a hotter girl accepts you then you're going to bounce. 

Anyways good luck applying but if it doesn't happen I am sure you are going to love heavies! Imagine all the bathroom breaks in flight and food you can cook in the ovens. 

26 minutes ago, PTM.24 said:

GPA 3.26

PCSM 74 (21 flight hours)

Maybe leverage isn't the correct term to use.  Thanks, I am excited to have the opportunity.

Averages were

PCSM 83

GPA 3.22

Flying hours 86

But those averages were for Last reserve board and I do not believe they play a huge role in selection for anything really. Id also like to re-iterate I am in a similar position as you and I am in no way qualified to answer these questions, just my opinion from what I have been told when I asked similar questions. Just be the best person you can be and take the time to visit the Units you want to join. If they like you, your scores will matter much less. I know its not the answer either of us want because it would be great to have a specific threshold to meet and then they hire you off the bat, but because the way Reserve and Guard hire for their unit its really up to each unit individually to decide who they want as long as that person meets the minimum scores required.  Maybe someone more qualified will answer, either way good luck! 

If you want a fighter slot, go rush fighter units and try to sell yourself accordingly. Exhaust all your options in the time you have. If you don't get good feedback or get hired between now and TFOT dates, either try to delay TFOT or take the bird in the hand and go with heavies. Flying heavies is better than not flying. If it comes up in conversation while rushing, sure, tell them you got hired by your unit, but your real desire is to fly fighters, you have told your leadership that, and that's why you are out rushing. That wouldn't be the first thing out of my mouth though. I'm quite sure if you told them you are enlisted in such and such unit, the follow-on question will be "did you apply for a UPT slot in that unit?" By getting hired there, it shows that 1) they are willing to send you to UPT after knowing you and 2) you still want fighters, even though your home unit doesn't have them. Could help. But if you immediately throw that out there, could come across as a douche.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FlyArmy said:

If you want a fighter slot, go rush fighter units and try to sell yourself accordingly. Exhaust all your options in the time you have. If you don't get good feedback or get hired between now and TFOT dates, either try to delay TFOT or take the bird in the hand and go with heavies. Flying heavies is better than not flying. If it comes up in conversation while rushing, sure, tell them you got hired by your unit, but your real desire is to fly fighters, you have told your leadership that, and that's why you are out rushing. That wouldn't be the first thing out of my mouth though. I'm quite sure if you told them you are enlisted in such and such unit, the follow-on question will be "did you apply for a UPT slot in that unit?" By getting hired there, it shows that 1) they are willing to send you to UPT after knowing you and 2) you still want fighters, even though your home unit doesn't have them. Could help. But if you immediately throw that out there, could come across as a douche.

Thanks for the advice.  Yea, I don't want to come off as a douche by appearing unappreciative for the opportunity that I have been given thus far.   

(remember, you asked for honest feedback...)

You wouldn't be competitive for getting an interview here with those scores; other than pilot/nav they are all very low for fighters.  Rushing is your best bet if you want to press it (unless you can re-test?)  Having a slot or being an enlisted flier wouldn't have bearing (at least not positive bearing) on whether we gave you an interview. 

My advice is to take the heavy slot you have and enjoy your career!

• Upvote 1

Hey,

Thanks for the feedback, I know in this business not all advice/feedback is positive in nature.  I am looking forward to what the future has in store no matter what happens.  I appreciate your thoughts!

-T  

• 3 weeks later...

Straight up your scores don't look good enough for fighter units. The lowest I've heard for scores are like 60, PCSM seems really low too. I agree with the sentiment you should be content with the bird in your hand, 2 in the bush looks risky. 

3 hours ago, Petty Pilot 69 said:

Straight up your scores don't look good enough for fighter units. The lowest I've heard for scores are like 60, PCSM seems really low too. I agree with the sentiment you should be content with the bird in your hand, 2 in the bush looks risky. 

Thanks for your input. Very valuable.

• Upvote 1