UPT Changes

Can't speak for the other bases, but Columbus just announced that classes will be split in half and will now start every 2 weeks as opposed to every 3 weeks. Also, instead of having the class remain together throughout training, the class will be split up into groups of about 2 and put into flights. The intent is to allow fast/slow swimmers to have someone on their skill level if needed (formation checks were used as an example), instead of making fast swimmers wait or washing out those that are behind.

The tenets are the same: Control what you can control, work your ass off, and find time for fun/family.

• Like 1

More specifically, you now do about 20 sims during academics, then go to the flightline. We've been told that Phase II is now scheduled for about three months. You actually track prior to finishing T-6s, with split tracks within T-6s from then on.

• 2 months later...

I'm currently an OTS Cadet with orders to Columbus AFB this coming September. I'm a non-prior so I doing my due diligence to prepare for in-processing in the next couple weeks. I was wondering how the in-processing went? Is there any need for deviation from the welcome packet? I was also wondering how the housing situation is currently for single UOQ? I've heard back in forth that its full. Should I go straight to housing to request off-base or follow the welcome packet and go to the UOQ. What are some casual positions that have been great to work in?

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/14/2018 at 2:40 PM, puddle247 said:

I'm currently an OTS Cadet with orders to Columbus AFB this coming September. I'm a non-prior so I doing my due diligence to prepare for in-processing in the next couple weeks. I was wondering how the in-processing went? Is there any need for deviation from the welcome packet? I was also wondering how the housing situation is currently for single UOQ? I've heard back in forth that its full. Should I go straight to housing to request off-base or follow the welcome packet and go to the UOQ. What are some casual positions that have been great to work in?

I’m currently at Columbus on the new syllabus and was an OTS grad. You’ll report and should definitely make UOQs your first stop once you stop by the transition office to get your checklist. Two of dorm buildings are under renovation, so rooms are a bit of a premium at the moment. It’s first come, first serve, and the sooner you can get your name on the list, the better. It only took me five days from inprocessing to getting a room, though.

On 8/25/2018 at 6:48 PM, cagg011 said:

I’m currently at Columbus on the new syllabus and was an OTS grad. You’ll report and should definitely make UOQs your first stop once you stop by the transition office to get your checklist. Two of dorm buildings are under renovation, so rooms are a bit of a premium at the moment. It’s first come, first serve, and the sooner you can get your name on the list, the better. It only took me five days from inprocessing to getting a room, though.

Thanks for the heads up. Since there are dorms under renovations, are they giving BAH to some right away or is there a waitlist? I heard that sometimes some have been able to find a roommate and live in the on-base housing and receive $400 left over BAH? do you know if thats still a possibility? I would like to be close to flight rooms but I know thats not always feasible with how many pilots are training these days.

Are you on casual status in a completely different role than pilot at the moment?

10 hours ago, puddle247 said:

Thanks for the heads up. Since there are dorms under renovations, are they giving BAH to some right away or is there a waitlist? I heard that sometimes some have been able to find a roommate and live in the on-base housing and receive $400 left over BAH? do you know if thats still a possibility? I would like to be close to flight rooms but I know thats not always feasible with how many pilots are training these days.

Are you on casual status in a completely different role than pilot at the moment?

I’m Guard, so I reported in 10 days out from my class start date. The guys in my class that moved off had been on casual status for several months and were subsequently asked if they wanted to do so. You could probably ask and see if you could move off, but the convenience of being on base wasn’t worth pocketing $300-400 a month to me. Your call at the end of the day.