ENJJPT or UPT for AFSOC?

5 hours ago, Standby said:

Regarding ENJJPT vs SUPT for AFSOC follow- on: I wouldn’t focus on that aspect exclusively at this point because either one can take you to that promise land. 

And each program will end up with roughly the same proportion of AFSOC/MAF/CAF assignments on drop night, and that won’t change by the time you (the OP) go through pilot training. 

Disagree with the posts about trying to get into the T-38 regardless. If you still want MCs and you go to UPT going to the -38 side will be more of a gamble. AFSOC stuff routinely drops to T-1s. When it drops to T-38s it's usually because there aren't enough fighters for all the -38 grads (afpc at its finest). Also, keep in mind fighter dudes aren't getting sent back to UPT anytime soon due to the shortage, so if you do get AFSOC out of -38s there's a greater possibility of coming back fairly soon as an IP. 

Everyone’s entitled to their opinion. When fewer fighters drop on the -38 side (like it is now), we tend to get more AFSOC planes than usual in drops. Who knows what it will look like by the time this kid goes through.

Timing and luck...words to live by. 

1 hour ago, Boomer6 said:

Disagree with the posts about trying to get into the T-38 regardless. If you still want MCs and you go to UPT going to the -38 side will be more of a gamble. AFSOC stuff routinely drops to T-1s. When it drops to T-38s it's usually because there aren't enough fighters for all the -38 grads (afpc at its finest). Also, keep in mind fighter dudes aren't getting sent back to UPT anytime soon due to the shortage, so if you do get AFSOC out of -38s there's a greater possibility of coming back fairly soon as an IP. 

...but who in their right mind would throw away the opportunity to fly the T-38 when the drop pool increases? I am not the type of dude to bag on the T-1, but I’m SURE it’s not nearly as fun or rewarding to fly. Don’t listen to people who tell you to track T-1 regardless of intent...you will most likely regret it in the future and spend every waking moment telling your friends/family how you could have gone T-38 if you wanted but chose not to even though you are a young Bob Hoover. 

Edited by Standby
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Standby said:

...but who in their right mind would throw away the opportunity to fly the T-38 when the drop pool increases? I am not the type of dude to bag on the T-1, but I’m SURE it’s not nearly as fun or rewarding to fly. Don’t listen to people who tell you to track T-1 regardless of intent...you will most likely regret it in the future and spend every waking moment telling your friends/family how you could have gone T-38 if you wanted but chose not to even though you are a young Bob Hoover. 

Totally agree. I wouldn't trade flying the -38 for anything, but if the kid doesn't want fighters he's gambling with getting an E-3 if he goes -38s at UPT. 

32 minutes ago, Boomer6 said:

Totally agree. I wouldn't trade flying the -38 for anything, but if the kid doesn't want fighters he's gambling with getting an E-3 if he goes -38s at UPT. 

Can’t disagree with you there either, cheers. 

I am/was at the AC-130 schoolhouse at Cannon.  The proportion of T-38/T-1 folks we get is about equal.

QED: doesn't matter.  My advice would be to go ENJJPT; more options if you change your mind.

As for AFSOC vs others: we're awesome, but there are a lot of other awesome opportunities.  I will not discourage you from MC-130s.  They do a ton of great stuff, and I LOVE low-level.

We don't do that.  We do kill things.  All the things.  I've said it before: size of community + taskings = we kill more than anyone else.  But that's not everything to everyone.  Evaluate your priorities, but in the meantime put in for ENJJPT.  Nothing to lose from my perspective if you don't suck.  (anyone saying blah blah RPA: fuck off, you get my point)

Fighters are awesome.  We don't get to go inverted single seat and rage.  If it's the raw pilotage you crave, ACC is the way to go.

• Like 1

Fly your hardest.  Trim until your thumb has a hole in the glove. Be a good dude.  Study your ass off. Follow this recipe and you’ll have your choice as to what you’ll get to fly, regardless of which method of UPT or ENJJPT you go through. 

The good news for you is that EVERY damn community out there is hurting for pilots, so if you do these things, you’ll be able to take all of the considerations from other threads into account when you make your choice.

Edited by war007afa
Damn it, Siri! Quit fucking censoring me!
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Boomer6 said:

He could also get an E3 out of T-1s. And he doesn't know what he doesn't know, his mind could change significantly once actually flying in the military. 38s keeps all doors open, T-1s closes doors. It's a no brainer to do enjppt if possible and figure your wishes out there. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Currently in the MC-130J pipeline and I would say there are more 38 guys than T-1 guys. It seems to be that way in the near future too. I would recommend ENJJPT too. Ultimately, It comes down to you. You are in control of your destiny. You seem like you have a good head on your shoulders. I'm personally loving the community so far. 

3 hours ago, Natehanibal said:

Ultimately, It comes down to you. You are in control of your destiny. 

Let’s not get carried away now. The AF controls your destiny, you only think you do. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

On 5/31/2018 at 12:40 PM, RE2012USAF said:

First of all, I graduate from USAFA in 2019 to establish some context that I will be putting in AFSC preferences in August and not long after that competing for ENJJPT.

For the last two years I have been playing mental ping pong trying to figure out whether or not I want to apply for ENJJPT or just elect to go to UPT. I have narrowed down the aircraft that I want to fly in my head eliminating fighters (I think). I have a strong desire to fly in AFSOC, specifically the MC-130 but if not, I would take any platform to be part of that community. If I didn't fall into AFSOC I think I would then place the A-10 as a second choice and then slick C-130's.

What I am wondering is what is my best bet? Will having a T-38 background in ENJJPT make me more competitive for an AFSOC platform or will I merely be competing against better pilots which will hinder my chances of dropping something in AFSOC? 

I am curious to hear thoughts across the board as to why one may be better than the other. I would also like to know what I can do in order to increase my chances of getting a foot in the door in the AFSOC community aside from getting lucky with timing and drops in a few years.

Thanks guys! 

I've been in AFSOC and the MC-130 community for my entire career; AFSOC is only place in the AF I want to be; all the aircraft AFSOC owns have some awesome capabilities/mission sets and as with any community each has some drawbacks.  MC-130s have an awesome mission and a great community; as the MC-130J starts to get spiral mod updates to bring it to/exceed the MC-130H standard things will only get better; caveat, as with anything AFSOC, you're going to be very busy.  If AFSOC/MC-130s are what you're interested in keep pushing for them, but since you're young don't close your eyes to other communities/opportunities as you go through training.  PM me if you have any detailed questions.  

• Upvote 1

We have dudes who have found the AFSOC/MC-130 from every vector possible.  I don't think it matters where you go and could care less how someone got here... and if this goal sticks don't worry about how you get the chance (whether direct ascension or AMC crossflow etc) just be vocal about your interest and accept information on the other options in the AF.

With that being said, you may change your mind once you spend time in UPT.  For instance airsickness is a serious issue with a lot of our recent ascensions.  Flying low and bouncing around seems really sweet until you're puking your guts out all 6.0... so pay attention to warning signs like that during training.

Also open to PMs.