TSgt John Chapman MoH saga

Danger41

Not sure if you all saw that Senior Chief Petty Officer Britt Slabinski was awarded the Medal of Honor for his actions at Roberts Ridge back in 2002. The interesting part is that TSgt John Chapman is also being awarded the MoH for the same battle. The controversy is that some think Slabinski left Chapman behind and the NSW community tried to block Chapman’s MoH to protect the reputation of the SEAL community. Thoughts?

http://www.newsweek.com/2018/05/18/navy-seals-seal-team-6-left-behind-die-operation-anaconda-slabinski-chapman-912343.html?amp=1

I don't fault him for leaving Chapman behind. In that kind of chaotic situation, having already taken multiple casualties, and trying to evacuate whoever was left, I can definitely see how easy a mistake that would be to make.

I am upset with the SEAL community's inability to look at the video and admit the mistake, and to double-down by arguing Chapman doesn't deserve the MoH.

A large number of the SEALs I've met, worked with, and had working for me were raging pricks.  Looking at the video and having close ties to that mission, it is very clear we left Chapman alive on the battlefield.  The audacity of these asshats to deny the plain as day evidence then denigrate a brave fucking hero who never quit and gave his last full measure...well...FUCK THEM. 

• Like 5
  • Upvote 8

Excellent article by Naylor, thanks for posting.

From senior levels to line operators, SEALs have behaved in a disgraceful manner regarding this incident.  Truly shameful.  No one would question their honor for making a tough call under fire and later finding out they’d been wrong.  Shit happens, we get it.

But they have blocked recognition for Chapman, and even gone back and changed their stories to shit on the guy because they couldn’t face facts: they left our man behind.  Those few who have seen the AF product will tell you evidence for the USAF version is overwhelmingly convincing.  

Edited to add: for those unfamiliar with the author, he has written extensively on Anaconda and is respected by SOF leadership.  Bottom line, credible dude, not a hack, worth reading the long article.

Edited by tac airlifter
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, tac airlifter said:

Edited to add: for those unfamiliar with the author, he has written extensively on Anaconda and is respected by SOF leadership.  Bottom line, credible dude, not a hack, worth reading the long article.

Strong 2+.

Fair warning, you will get extremely pissed off if you have any sense of honor.

• 1 month later...

Good to hear.  

I had a chance to meet the wife of the author of the Newsweek article posted above.  I had already read the article when we spoke, but to hear just how bad the red tape truly was is amazing.  The complete ineptitude of the system that would allow this to take so long is beyond belief.  It's a solid piece of writing and, as mentioned above, a must read. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

At Hurlburt today, AFSOC had the celebration of MSgt Chapman with an airshow and several other events. It was pretty awesome to see all the people out there celebrating a great American. Kudos to the performers and to all the bros that came out for it (special shout to the Strike Eagle with MSgt John Chapman on the nose, nice touch). 

Edited by Danger41
  • Like 6

• 8 months later...

Until Tech. Sgt. John Chapman's heroics on Afghanistan’s Takur Ghar mountaintop in March 2002, this was the only known photo of a Medal of Honor action taken while it was under way. Joe Jackson (center, top) had just put his C-123 down to pick up the combat control team airmen. The runway is littered with aircraft wreckage from a CH-47, Cessna O-2, C-130 and UH-1.(DoD)

image.png.d31a684ea789c0195240ce167351207b.png

https://www.airforcetimes.com/news/your-air-force/2019/01/14/air-force-legend-medal-of-honor-recipient-joe-jackson-dies-at-95/

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1