Realistically...

My AFOQT scores are as follows:

84 Pilot, 85 Nav, 67 Acad Apt, 62 Verbal, 67 Quant

I don't have a PCSM score yet, but I also have no flight hours. I will be taking the TBAS beginning of June, and I hear without flight hours, the best you can do on a PCSM score is 70. So other things being constant, and considering my pilot score, if I ace the TBAS, the best I could feasibly do is about a 64 PCSM, give or take. 

GPA: Currently 3.38, but I'm projecting close to a 3.5 by graduation in end of August, with a B.A.A.S. in Technical Management

I am 34 years old, I'm also an enlisted E-5, have close to 6 years active, and another 5 reserve/guard, been an F-16 AD crew chief and guard technician for most of my career. I am currently working for a contractor on a military base in a state other than where my unit is (I am currently in the Texas Air National Guard). I plan on submitting a package at a guard tanker unit on this base. I have bought a house here and have been working to transfer to the guard unit here but I won't be transferred by the time I do submit the package. I am also planning on submitting a package as an RPA pilot in the Texas ANG, but at a different unit than where I currently belong. Obviously, I wouldn't transfer if I was accepted to the TXANG program.

What kind of a chance do I stand at either location? I do know it's a long shot, but how far?

Also I’ll mention have LORs from my flight chief, my O-5 commander, A Current O-4 in the army, and one from the Office of the US Senate. 

Edited by Adamw412

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I did, and I was not selected in Alaska. Age was the biggest factor, and my PCSM score was next. It was a 46 without flight hours. I can do something about the PCSM, but "I ain't getting any younger". I am still submitting for a RPA slot in Texas through the TXANG. I'm getting my package together now.

You should storm through your PPL as fast as humanly possible. If this is something you seriously want to do, spend the $10,000 or so it would take to go to a dedicated pilot mill that can get you done in two weeks. As you said, time is not on your side. There's a 35 year old in my UPT class so not out of the question, but every day you delay puts you further towards the point of no return.

I’m going to try the RPA route in the Texas Guard before I try anything else. The next board is in October, so even if I wait that long to push for a ppl it won’t set me back but a couple more months, less if I get a rejection letter before the boards.