Baseops Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Engineer2Pilot

ANG Non-Airline Jobs?

This question is for the non-airline dudes. So this is kind of a shot in the dark and really putting the cart before the horse, but here it goes. Say you get picked up by a fighter unit in a location where there aren't many ideal jobs (South Dakota, Oklahoma, etc). I know that there is the rule of living close to base, but what if you can't find suitable full-time employment anywhere near the unit? I'm saying all of this with employers such as Lockheed, Northrop etc on my mind.

I just commute... I work as an engineer in the private sector and typically work four days a week and fly one day for the Guard.  Its a balance that your employer/commander must accept for it to work.  Living close to the base is not required if you're in the ANG. 

14 minutes ago, motox3005 said:

Living close to the base is not required if you're in the ANG. 

Maybe, maybe not.  Plenty of units wouldn't agree with that statement.  OP, you'll have to talk to the units and find one that's ok with your idea of commuting.  I think you'll find units with the fewest currency requirements will be most open to commuters.  Units with lots of requirements know that you can't min-run and keep up, especially for your first several years.

Our previous OG looked into the legality of requiring guys to live within a certain radius and found no legal way he could force it.  In fact, he seemed to have concluded that you're opening the wing up to a legal action by even having such a requirement.  I don't know to what extent of law he was basing those conclusions on, but I do know he was extremely by the book (even if it wasn't in his favor) and he stopped pursuing such a policy.  

That said, I know at least one of the two fighter squadrons mentioned has a 50 mile commute policy, which they seem to take very seriously.  My squadron couldn't care less where you live, as long as you hold up your end of the bargain.  Life is much more difficult for the guys who live 2+ hours away, but they seem to make it work.   

Agreed with the above comment. If it's a short enough drive/trip and you could easily see yourself making the trip a few times a month (worst case), then go for it. If it's a decent length of travel but you think you can make it work, you might be able to, but you probably wont be happy doing it. In a Fighter Squadron at least.

Edited by Kenny Powers

To add to my previous post, be sure to find out  what kind of time requirement the squadron demands.  I have heard of other fighter squadrons requiring 6-7 days/month, which is beyond ridiculous.  IMHO, anything more than 5 days/month is excessive and not a sustainable model.  So be sure figure out what each squadron requires of their part-timers because this could have a huge impact on where you decide to plant roots.

As a guard guy who commutes to fly fighters, I can tell you that closer would be nicer.  I drive as I'm about the distance that driving is pretty similar to flying.  If you're not an airline guy, you should plan on living within around 4 hrs max.  Six is do-able, but realize the ACC/CC sent out a memo a while back saying that any commute greater than 2 hrs is part of your duty day, which means you technically (although I'm sure it gets ignored often) need to arrive at your hotel for guard flying to start crew rest, which often adds another afternoon/night gone from home if you're flying first go.  Most units pay for the hotel for commuters, but you may end up at not an awesome hotel during busy weekends.  Five days is possible, but on the low end for staying CMR in fighters, I'd plan on six as your average and 7 or 8 if you're prepping for a real deployment.  Especially when you toss in a couple no fly days during drill, weather cancels and things like that and I think an average of six is pretty normal.

On 5/24/2018 at 7:58 AM, Engineer2Pilot said:

This question is for the non-airline dudes. So this is kind of a shot in the dark and really putting the cart before the horse, but here it goes. Say you get picked up by a fighter unit in a location where there aren't many ideal jobs (South Dakota, Oklahoma, etc). I know that there is the rule of living close to base, but what if you can't find suitable full-time employment anywhere near the unit? I'm saying all of this with employers such as Lockheed, Northrop etc on my mind.

So back to the original question.  I've been looking into Booze-Hamilton, I've heard people can work at home and travel to clients for a few days then return home to write reports.  You can probably do this anywhere.  Once you get some experience, the government contract industry has plenty of traveling jobs much like I stated above.  There is always bouncing at the local "Establishment" that has several brass support poles scattered about its interior, staffed by local college girls, could make for some interesting work.

I'm saying this as a cart WAAAAYYYY before the horse, as I am just beginning my long shot attempt at interviews and at getting picked up by a squadron for a UPT slot, and my input may not pertain to you if you're looking for engineering work/for a contractor. Nor am I sure if you're looking for short/mid-term employment, or for the long haul. So, this might be pointless to you, but may help someone else that stumbles upon this thread looking for non-airline employment options that work with military service.

From a purely non-airline employer in addition to Guard/Reserve duty standpoint, I can certainly recommend municipal civil service if you think you're going to be putting roots down wherever you're assigned and plan on staying for the long haul. Fire and police departments are very similar to military life, they have decent benefits and many still have pensions, they give preference points to military members in hiring and promotion, and they're usually very pro military service while you're employed above and beyond what they have to by law. I'd imagine most bases are close enough to large enough towns with good paid departments that you'd have a solid civil service retirement, too. 

Again, not sure if you're looking for temporary employment options or something more long-term, but figured I'd mention it as an option.

• Like 1

Do most fighter guys who aren't airline guys live close to the squadron? I definitely want to be realistic and I'm thinking driving anything more than 2 hours 1 way would be a 1 way ticket to a quick burn out. 

On 5/27/2018 at 2:39 PM, matmacwc said:

So back to the original question.  I've been looking into Booze-Hamilton, I've heard people can work at home and travel to clients for a few days then return home to write reports.  You can probably do this anywhere.  Once you get some experience, the government contract industry has plenty of traveling jobs much like I stated above.  There is always bouncing at the local "Establishment" that has several brass support poles scattered about its interior, staffed by local college girls, could make for some interesting work.

I've thought about that too, like at Northrop, Lockheed, Raytheon, etc they have field engineers who visit suppliers and such and don't need to be in a particular location. Just wondering how feasible that is because I still definitely would like to work on my military career and civilian career in parallel. Have your cake and eat it...