Looking for good NVG/night flying flashlight

Any recommendations?  Ideally looking for something that is dual output, white/bright for walk arounds but also can use in the cockpit to augment / backup those little NVG fingerlights.  Preferably green and fairly dim etc...

I was looking at the new surefire aviator, but I had the old one and it was way too bright to use in the cockpit.  Anyone using something they like?

On ‎5‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 2:02 PM, Breckey said:

I got issued the Phantom at my first unit. It’s not the prettiest looking or slimming but it works great. It has a dimmable white, NVG green, and IR light. 

https://phantomlights.com/phantom-warrior-tls-most-popular-aviation-version/

I'll second this.

I have been issued this light and it works well...even after your crew chief leans out the window and drops it on the pavement from a 150 ft hover...

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Bump - if anyone else is looking for a good night flashlight.  Just used a Surefire Kroma Milspec for the past few months and it is expensive but awesome.  Red / Green / Blue / IR / White and good levels for NVG cockpit usage.  Highly recommend.  Super tough and lightweight as well.  Tried to get the Phantom (above) but ran into issues being overseas.

• 1 month later...

Millite NVG

FL-5 NVIS

I was issued the FL-5 (no longer works) and I bought the Millite.  Both work great for cockpit use; I prefer the Millite over the FL-5.  

I carry a whitelight Surefire in my pocket for pre/post flight stuff.  To add to it all, I sometimes wear a headlamp around my neck to have an easy access red or white light when walking to an aircraft with no power on it yet. 

Not sure if this meets the intent; the headlamp is powerful enough to accomplish pre/post flight stuff so one could easily ditch the flashlight in the pocket. 

Edited by FlapJack

8 hours ago, FlapJack said:

Not sure if this meets the intent; the headlamp is powerful enough to accomplish pre/post flight stuff so one could easily ditch the flashlight in the pocket. 

LED headlamp around the neck was SOP for that 1am #2 in the Bagram portapotty.  Worked great.  Turn it off and you could almost imagine you're in a county fair portapotty instead of a third world shithole.  

Edited by nunya
speling is herd

I bought a surefire helmet led from the BX and had the base sewing/embroidery shop sew up a square Velcro mount for the chest rank tab on the 2 piece flight suit. Life support had the green filter plastic that I taped over the white led. Ended up working really well. 

https://www.amazon.com/Princeton-Tec-Remix-Headlamp-Lumens/dp/B00UAACCE2/ref=asc_df_B07BQNGBC5/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312162172209&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=13485014215762734333&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9033901&hvtargid=aud-801381245258%3Apla-568779641162&th=1

cheapo headlamp, cycles through 2 green intensities and you have to hold the button down to go to white so it's hard to so inadvertently in the cockpit. i preflight in white and pull it down to my neck when i put my helmet on. 

*** in case the link dies: Princeton Tec Remix LED Headlamp w/ Green LEDs ***

Edited by kona4breakfast