ACTIVE DUTY AF/ ROTC/ GUARD QUESTIONS

Hello, so first and foremost I apologize if this post is in the wrong thread. I’ve been looking around and haven’t found anything to specifically answer my questions. I’ve been browsing the Air Force subreddit, posted a lot on there in regards on advice and guidance in general. A pilot (civilian who’s trying to join the ang) told me about this website so I thought I’d give it a shot.

Alright so some background info, as the title suggests I’m currently active duty. 20 years old, based in macdill with the stratotanker. Maintainer, I joined with zero college, almost done with my cdcs so I can start working on my associates. This is where it starts to get a little hairy for me. I’ve spoken with a captain about two or three scholarships the Air Force offers for Rotc. 

My hopes are to get accepted into these programs and further my education full time and get my ppl to increase my pcsm. Also to have a high gpa and commanders ranking obviously.  Now where things get confusing to me is I keep hearing to go ang or reserve. And I was hoping to get some more advice on that, not only that but advice on what choices to make now and what steps to take.

I read that macdill also has a guard unit, I went to a briefing on palace chase and palace front which is essentially a program to join guard either 2 years before your contract is up or when your re-enlistment date comes around. So if for some reason I don’t get accepted into these scholarships does that seem like a feasible option? If so do I join with my associates and go to college full time (Rotc) and also be in the guard? Is that something you’re able to do? Financially is this do able? I’m married FYI.

Well I can go on and on about this, I have a lot of anxiety when it comes to figuring all of this out, it’s something I love doing. Flying is something I enjoy and am hoping to make the most out of my career. It just seems like something that’s out of my reach, which is strange because of all the routes I see. In a sense the more research I do the more unsure I am about WHAT to do. 

So thanks for reading this short essay on how confused I am, I’m hoping I can get some clarity from people who either A. Have done it or B. Know how it’s done. Again thanks for taking the time to read.

Not sure what others experiences have been, but I think all the ROTC cadets end up active duty and don't have the option of the Guard/Reserve route.  Can any previous ROTC guys confirm or deny this?

There are a ton of benefits to being Guard or Reserve.  You will just have to dig through these forums and read all about them and make the decision of whether that is the best decision for your family.  There's too much info for one post so enjoy reading.

It's good that you are asking questions and taking charge of your career.  Good luck with your journey man. 

Edited by JustHangingOut

active duty seems like the best option right now for me, I could see guard/ reserve working out if I get out after four years and do college full time and then apply for guard units. With a ppl in hand and everything, however what are the chances of that working out? Like I said I’m pretty young still so I can really go either way. I just don’t want to miss out on the Rotc opportunity only to get out and try to get slot through reserve and not be able to. 

3 hours ago, Lyonconner said:

Hello, so first and foremost I apologize if this post is in the wrong thread. I’ve been looking around and haven’t found anything to specifically answer my questions. I’ve been browsing the Air Force subreddit, posted a lot on there in regards on advice and guidance in general. A pilot (civilian who’s trying to join the ang) told me about this website so I thought I’d give it a shot.

Alright so some background info, as the title suggests I’m currently active duty. 20 years old, based in macdill with the stratotanker. Maintainer, I joined with zero college, almost done with my cdcs so I can start working on my associates. This is where it starts to get a little hairy for me. I’ve spoken with a captain about two or three scholarships the Air Force offers for Rotc.

My hopes are to get accepted into these programs and further my education full time and get my ppl to increase my pcsm. Also to have a high gpa and commanders ranking obviously.  Now where things get confusing to me is I keep hearing to go ang or reserve. And I was hoping to get some more advice on that, not only that but advice on what choices to make now and what steps to take.

I read that macdill also has a guard unit, I went to a briefing on palace chase and palace front which is essentially a program to join guard either 2 years before your contract is up or when your re-enlistment date comes around. So if for some reason I don’t get accepted into these scholarships does that seem like a feasible option? If so do I join with my associates and go to college full time (Rotc) and also be in the guard? Is that something you’re able to do? Financially is this do able? I’m married FYI.  

Well I can go on and on about this, I have a lot of anxiety when it comes to figuring all of this out, it’s something I love doing. Flying is something I enjoy and am hoping to make the most out of my career. It just seems like something that’s out of my reach, which is strange because of all the routes I see. In a sense the more research I do the more unsure I am about WHAT to do.

So thanks for reading this short essay on how confused I am, I’m hoping I can get some clarity from people who either A. Have done it or B. Know how it’s done. Again thanks for taking the time to read.

I have a thread or 2 on the same topic here but let me share what i know so far.

If you get a scholarship with ROTC, you are contracted therefore you have to get out of the guard. (My situation) You can end up commissioning into a guard or reserve unit from ROTC only if you get 'hired' by a unit and get sponsored to go through UPT.  You have some time to figure things out. ROTC might not have a 2 year program for you, it's usually a full 3 or 4 but you can contact them at your local college to find out. They should give you plenty of information

A memo was just released to enable one and two year programs again at certain schools. Three year would be easy at almost every university. You can go rated reserves out of ROTC, not sure about ANG. Scholarships are mostly for STEM majors.

Prior E dudes usually do better than most others in the program and a pilot slot is pretty easy to obtain. Contact schools you’re interested in/would move to and ask the Detachment.

If you are worried about a full time job, I know plenty of ANG units where Lts back from UPT are full time ARTs making just as much as I am. The old part time Guardsman is a thing of the past...

12 hours ago, JustHangingOut said:

Not sure what others experiences have been, but I think all the ROTC cadets end up active duty and don't have the option of the Guard/Reserve route.  Can any previous ROTC guys confirm or deny this?

There are a ton of benefits to being Guard or Reserve.  You will just have to dig through these forums and read all about them and make the decision of whether that is the best decision for your family.  There's too much info for one post so enjoy reading.

It's good that you are asking questions and taking charge of your career.  Good luck with your journey man. 

I ran into three people who are in ROTC saying there is a program or option that isnt talked about much for people to go from ROTC to Reserve/ANG. I am not sure on how it works but the vibe I got is that they essentially get hired before they graduate. 

• 1 year later...

I am a cadet trying to get hired by a Guard Unit or go to ENJJPT. Took the AFOQT for the first time and did alright on the pilot and nav (94 and 77). I am very unhappy with the rest of my scores, which are in the 40's and below. I am told not to retake the test because my scores are fine for AD purposes. Also the factor does loom over that I fail and can not go to field training this year. I almost have my PPL and I am planning on having 100+ flight hours. I am yet to take the TBAS, and have a 3.9 CGPA currently (I am hoping to realistically keep a 3.7 through senior year).

After finding out AFROTC cadets can go into the Guard last year it has been my dream, however I know my AFOQT scores are quite low. I am advised by leadership just to focus on having a 90+ PCSM. For ENJJPT I was told that my nav is a bit low, but they really only care about your PCSM, GPA and pilot score. For Guard, after reading through this forum it seems for fighters your going to need 90+ in all category's to be competitive. I have been lurking here constantly for a few years now, and I decided now would be a good time to reach out for some advice from those who have made it. Do I stand no chance of getting hired by a fighter unit with such low AFOQT Academic Aptitude, Verbal and Quantitative scores? Would some units be willing to look away from some bad scores if I already have an AD pilot slot through AFROTC? Thank you all in advance

I am a cadet trying to get hired by a Guard Unit or go to ENJJPT. Took the AFOQT for the first time and did alright on the pilot and nav (94 and 77). I am very unhappy with the rest of my scores, which are in the 40's and below. I am told not to retake the test because my scores are fine for AD purposes. Also the factor does loom over that I fail and can not go to field training this year. I almost have my PPL and I am planning on having 100+ flight hours. I am yet to take the TBAS, and have a 3.9 CGPA currently (I am hoping to realistically keep a 3.7 through senior year).
After finding out AFROTC cadets can go into the Guard last year it has been my dream, however I know my AFOQT scores are quite low. I am advised by leadership just to focus on having a 90+ PCSM. For ENJJPT I was told that my nav is a bit low, but they really only care about your PCSM, GPA and pilot score. For Guard, after reading through this forum it seems for fighters your going to need 90+ in all category's to be competitive. I have been lurking here constantly for a few years now, and I decided now would be a good time to reach out for some advice from those who have made it. Do I stand no chance of getting hired by a fighter unit with such low AFOQT Academic Aptitude, Verbal and Quantitative scores? Would some units be willing to look away from some bad scores if I already have an AD pilot slot through AFROTC? Thank you all in advance
It all depends on the unit. I know some units are concerned with all your scores, others are not. All my scores were in the 90s, but I've been told by multiple fighter units, including the one I was hired by, that that is not the norm.

I know that NOLA is an example of a unit that really cares about all of your scores though.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Baseops Network mobile app

• 9 months later...

Does anyone know the specific form to be released from an AD AFROTC Contract to join the ANG once sponsored? Cadre are not aware of any specific form. Only ones I could find is for those who want to go Unsponsored Reserves. I was told by Guard Units that it is a Letter of Intent that is sent to your Detachment and AFROTC HQ? Thanks. 

• 2 months later...
On 9/21/2019 at 4:41 PM, H_G said:

After finding out AFROTC cadets can go into the Guard last year it has been my dream,

H_G Do you have any information on getting into the Guard/Reserves during ROTC? I just started the Aviation Technology program at my school and I've been searching for info on how to do it. 

On 9/25/2020 at 11:41 PM, Dadams09 said:

H_G Do you have any information on getting into the Guard/Reserves during ROTC? I just started the Aviation Technology program at my school and I've been searching for info on how to do it. 

Yes I do. For the Reserves there is a Unsponsored Reserve Board held in the fall of AS300 Year. Generally about 15 Cadets apply/get in. 

The averages for that board as of last year are a 61 PCSM and a 3.4 GPA. Perhaps a little bit more competitive than the AD AFROTC Board but it certainly is not impossible to get into. If you are accepted it will be up to you to be hired by a Reserve Squadron. It is also important to note that if you accept this offer to go into the Reserves Unsponsored you can not be put up for the Active Duty Boards or try to compete for ENJJPT. 

For the Guard it is a little different in that there is no dedicated program to join the Guard from AFROTC. It is up 100% up to you to go and get hired by a Squadron just like any one else applying from off the street. AFROTC HQ as of now lets Cadets leave their AD commitment and join the ANG with little problems. 

On 9/25/2020 at 10:41 PM, Dadams09 said:

I recently commissioned out of AFROTC into the Reserve and am in the process of transitioning to the Guard. Feel free to reach out if you have any questions!

On 9/29/2020 at 5:05 PM, WeekendPilot said:

I recently commissioned out of AFROTC into the Reserve and am in the process of transitioning to the Guard. Feel free to reach out if you have any questions!

Thats quite the route to end up in the Guard haha. 

I’m new to the forums and I apologize in advance if I’m posting this on the wrong thread.

Question:  If you participated in and completed a U.S. Air Force Reserve Officer Program were you considered a temporary enlisted member (E-1 if no prior service) of the U.S. Air Force Reserves for the duration of the program?  If so how would I go about obtaining official verification?  

Situation:  Years ago I was a member of the Civil Air Patrol/USAF Auxiliary.  After several years as a CAP Officer I made application to enroll in the U.S. Air Force Reserve Officer Preparatory Program through Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala.   This was at the time a current and valid program that was carried out at the unit level with instruction and oversite through AFR personal.  My anticipation was that it could be a way to progress to the AFR.  It was during the mid-1990’s and there was a lot of down-sizing in the military at that time so an AFR commission was not available upon completion.  I do however have all of my records and documentation to include application to enroll, approval, program enrollment, program testing scores, diploma and transcript.

I tried contacting Air University but all I received was transcript information.  I have been told that Officer Candidates or Officer Trainees are considered enlisted personal during their training and I would like to know if that is true.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/6/2020 at 1:00 PM, AFAuxiliarist said:

I’m new to the forums and I apologize in advance if I’m posting this on the wrong thread.

On 10/6/2020 at 1:00 PM, AFAuxiliarist said:

Question:  If you participated in and completed a U.S. Air Force Reserve Officer Program were you considered a temporary enlisted member (E-1 if no prior service) of the U.S. Air Force Reserves for the duration of the program?  If so how would I go about obtaining official verification?  

I just completed an AFROTC Tour as a Det CC.  Yes, AFROTC cadets who contract (either go on scholarship as freshman or sophs or complete field training and continue into the POC as juniors) are enlisted as E-1s (with some CAP or JROTC experience they start as E-2 or 3) in the Reserves but it is the inactive Reserves (so they are not paid as an active reservists -- they do get scholarship money if on scholarship and monthly stipends once on contract and they can get paid during summer training events/field training/etc).  So, if what you are looking for is a document that show that you were an actively serving military member, I don't believe any document of your time in that program will count.  But, if you are just trying to find any other documents of your time in the program, I'd try the ARPC (Air Reserve Personnel Center) helpline.  800-525-0102.  They might be able to advise you as to where any records are archived. 

Situation:  Years ago I was a member of the Civil Air Patrol/USAF Auxiliary.  After several years as a CAP Officer I made application to enroll in the U.S. Air Force Reserve Officer Preparatory Program through Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala.   This was at the time a current and valid program that was carried out at the unit level with instruction and oversite through AFR personal.  My anticipation was that it could be a way to progress to the AFR.  It was during the mid-1990’s and there was a lot of down-sizing in the military at that time so an AFR commission was not available upon completion.  I do however have all of my records and documentation to include application to enroll, approval, program enrollment, program testing scores, diploma and transcript.

I tried contacting Air University but all I received was transcript information.  I have been told that Officer Candidates or Officer Trainees are considered enlisted personal during their training and I would like to know if that is true.

• 2 weeks later...