Leaving Family Behind for UPT?

WannaBePilot

Question

Considering applying to my home guard unit to which I feel like I have a high likelihood or being hired based off previous conversations provided I don’t totally tube the AFOQT & TBAS. 

I’ll require an age waiver as I’ll be turning 33 in the fall when the board will most likely happen. I’ve been holding off my PPL as my Wife a I have been discussing this. She is an RN and loves the floor she works on which took her many years to get hired on to so she isn’t real keen on the idea of quitting. She can go to an ultra part time status and travel to see me while in training every couple months. The tough part is we have a 3.5 year old son and leaving that dude behind would be tough, but I realize this sacrifice would eventually have a big payoff to our family. 

Anyone else on here have a similar situation or know a bro who left the family behind? I’d be curious to hear how they worked this situation. 

Thanks

1 answer to this question

On 5/16/2018 at 11:29 PM, WannaBePilot said:

Considering applying to my home guard unit to which I feel like I have a high likelihood or being hired based off previous conversations provided I don’t totally tube the AFOQT & TBAS. 

I’ll require an age waiver as I’ll be turning 33 in the fall when the board will most likely happen. I’ve been holding off my PPL as my Wife a I have been discussing this. She is an RN and loves the floor she works on which took her many years to get hired on to so she isn’t real keen on the idea of quitting. She can go to an ultra part time status and travel to see me while in training every couple months. The tough part is we have a 3.5 year old son and leaving that dude behind would be tough, but I realize this sacrifice would eventually have a big payoff to our family. 

Anyone else on here have a similar situation or know a bro who left the family behind? I’d be curious to hear how they worked this situation. 

Thanks

Planning on doing the same thing. 4 kids. 2 little ones, one in HS soon. Gonna suck. At least I’m not getting shot at and am not on the other side of the world while at upt? Beats some of my deployments in that regard. At least there is FaceTime. I am giving up significant pay and QOL at my airline job to go back in the military, so it’s not a sacrifice for my family...I’d feel better about it if it was, but I’m just selfishly taking a pay cut and time away from my family to go fly a viper and serve again. I guess it’s kind of an insurance plan if the airlines go south and eventually I will live in base for both jobs. For me, it’s a temporary (albeit long) situation that’s going to suck for my family. But at least on the backside sts I’ll be home more than I am now, which is what I tell my family and myself.