317 AW (Dyess) commander removed over ‘toxic environment’

spaceman

1 hour ago, cragspider said:

It’s about time AMC realize that they should stop putting non Herk guys in charge info Herk units. 

The Herk community is not devoid of toxicity.  

33 minutes ago, juacey said:

Good news is that the 317 never needed a wing commander in the first place. 

Truth.  But hey, AMC got, what, three more O-6 billets out of it?

56 minutes ago, Champ Kind said:

The Herk community is not devoid of toxicity.  

Truth.  But hey, AMC got, what, three more O-6 billets out of it?

I won’t argue with that. I’ve has some really good commanders and some really shitty ones. Sadly the good ones are few and far between some days. We shall see how it turns out with the 04-06 yg soon. 

I’d also agree that the 317th should have never been made a wing. 

And now the vice wing commander is in charge of the J model Airlift Wing...he’s a nav. 

I like Rooster, he’s an old school dude who doesn’t put up with shit. But this is the 2nd time big blue has put a nav in command of a J model “Airlift Wing”. The other being the schoolhouse, which is why I use the term “Airlift Wing” loosely. 

I don’t understand putting a guy in command who can’t fly the only MWS assigned to him. (Yes there are ways he can fly on a J, but that’s not the intent.)

A WSO in charge of the Bomber Wing or a Fighter Wing with Strike Eagles, sure. I get that. But this is just silly, especially to have done it multiple times now. 

I assume I’m missing something. 

11 minutes ago, Herkasaurus said:

And now the vice wing commander is in charge of the J model Airlift Wing...he’s a nav. 

I like Rooster, he’s an old school dude who doesn’t put up with shit. But this is the 2nd time big blue has put a nav in command of a J model “Airlift Wing”. The other being the schoolhouse, which is why I use the term “Airlift Wing” loosely. 

I don’t understand putting a guy in command who can’t fly the only MWS assigned to him. (Yes there are ways he can fly on a J, but that’s not the intent.)

A WSO in charge of the Bomber Wing or a Fighter Wing with Strike Eagles, sure. I get that. But this is just silly, especially to have done it multiple times now. 

Nav's have been part of the C-130 community longer than the C-130J has been around.  I'm sure he'll "figure it out" how to run a Wing that has an aircraft that got rid of his crew position, which really doesn't have anything to do with running a Wing since he's there for complete leadership.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Azimuth said:

Nav's have been part of the C-130 community longer than the C-130J has been around.  I'm sure he'll "figure it out" how to run a Wing that has an aircraft that got rid of his crew position, which really doesn't have anything to do with running a Wing since he's there for complete leadership.

It’s also just temporary.

May be overthinking it, but this guy’s shinanigans has been made pretty public on these forums.  He has pretty much gone against every initiative from higher HQ to at least try to turn the ship around.  It’s also no secret that 3 stars and above frequent this board.  Coincidence?

10 hours ago, Herkasaurus said:

How can a CSO fly as aircrew on a C-130J that isn’t an HC-130J or an MC-130J?

11 hours ago, Herkasaurus said:

The Airlift Group (AG) commander (before the 317th was a wing) during the C-130 H-to-J transition was a Herk nav.  

52 minutes ago, Homestar said:

What does "toxic work" environment even mean?  He yelled at people?  

No, he was a prick who threatens his Squadron Commanders and DOs, threatened to cancel flying lines if people didn’t show up to his gay morale parade, probably sets a record for kicking back OPRs and award packages, cares more about looking green on mobility slides than actual mission effectiveness.  He absolutely created a toxic environment at Dyess that anyone here can vouche for.  He completely deserves to be fired and I for one am happy and hopeful that senior leadership is watching and trying to make positive change.  Maybe other commanders will now be put on notice and realize that if they don’t effectively lead and foster morale they’ll be canned as well. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

It’s about time AMC realize that they should stop putting non Herk guys in charge info Herk units. 

Or non tanker dudes in charge or tanker guys, or non 17 dudes in charge of 17 guys. There’s a debate on the MAF Assignments and Vectoring FB Page right now over this. Personally I think getting to switch airframes is cool and all but should not be a delineator for command. Why does someone need experience on “the other side” to make them a better CC?
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, baileynme said:

Or non tanker dudes in charge or tanker guys, or non 17 dudes in charge of 17 guys. There’s a debate on the MAF Assignments and Vectoring FB Page right now over this. Personally I think getting to switch airframes is cool and all but should not be a delineator for command. Why does someone need experience on “the other side” to make them a better CC?

For that breadth of experience they want. But yes changing airframes is cool but you need to go back to where you started so you can command there. So far in my time I’ve had 2 CC’s who where Phoenix guys, one was a herk guy first and he was a good commander from my point of view who loved the mission and knew what it was about. While the other was a tanker guy who came in and learned it midway through and wasn’t bad. But now he is back in the tanker world. I’ve had others who came into it from a white jet first and did fine in the mission but they left things to be desired on the command side. But does all the experience make them better who knows. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dream big said:

No, he was a prick who threatens his Squadron Commanders and DOs, threatened to cancel flying lines if people didn’t show up to his gay morale parade, probably sets a record for kicking back OPRs and award packages, cares more about looking green on mobility slides than actual mission effectiveness.  He absolutely created a toxic environment at Dyess that anyone here can vouche for.  He completely deserves to be fired and I for one am happy and hopeful that senior leadership is watching and trying to make positive change.  Maybe other commanders will now be put on notice and realize that if they don’t effectively lead and foster morale they’ll be canned as well. 

So who’s blacklisting him at the majors, since he’ll be applying in less than three years?

Edited by Azimuth
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, dream big said:Haha! Any one of the 10 or so dudes from Dyess who bailed/retired to the airlines this past year.

I know there are plenty of boys and girls from his two tours at CHS who are ready to do the same.

5 hours ago, baileynme said:

Welcome to AFGSC, where not a single WG/CC is in charge of a base that houses the MDS they grew up in.  Both B-52 WG/CCs are B-1 guys by trade, both B-1 WG/CCs are B-52 guys.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, dream big said:

I just don’t understand.... How could this possibly happen?

His Bio clearly states that he attended SOS in residence, ACSC by correspondence and has a Masters from the coveted “TUI University”.

Mind boggling.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, pawnman said:

Welcome to AFGSC, where not a single WG/CC is in charge of a base that houses the MDS they grew up in.  Both B-52 WG/CCs are B-1 guys by trade, both B-1 WG/CCs are B-52 guys.

The Vista (crossflow) and Pathfinder (ID MAJCOM shiny pennies to send to staff as midlevel O-3) programs seem to be borrowed from AMC as well and will certainly be a roaring success.

I like to hope, in the last 6 to 9 months, the CSAF or SecAF have personally called every single general officer and said something like this...

”Look Billy, our pilots are leaving in droves. The US civil aviation world is on a decade long monumental pilot hiring binge. The US civil aviation sector has never, ever had so many thousands of mandatory retirements. China, India, most of the world and Timbuktu are hiring an unprecedented number of pilots. You, me, and our fairy godmother will not change this. What we can do Billy is stop the stupid. We can stop the damn assinine additional duties. We can stop the mandatory fun. We can leave our pilots alone and let them enjoy time with their families. We can stop the numerous PowerPoint ranger pilot deployments. We can focus solely on the mission, just the mission. So, Billy, if you know of any DO, SQ/CC, OG or WG/CC messing with my pilots, fire them. If I find out you are making my pilots miserable, Billy, you are fired. Stop the stupid Billy, stop the stupid. That is all.” Click.

All he really needs to say is look at Col Palenske at the 1 SOW and march with him.
  • Like 2