The Air Force Would Appreciate Some Help Finding a Box of Grenades That Fell Off a Truck

Who would give the AF grenades to begin with..WTF? Brilliant idea when most people from what I recall misplaced their weapons a lot in Iraq and Afghanistan. We had personnel receiving paperwork for it. So who do you think will get fired for #lostgrenades?

https://gizmodo.com/the-air-force-would-appreciate-some-help-finding-a-box-1826056964

Edited by HarleyQuinn

They're MK19 rounds used for missile field security. They're not allowed to load them so they sit in an ammo can. The cops there have had M-249s fall off of helicopters only to be brought to one of the MAFs by concerned citizens.

• Upvote 1

Seems like the USAF and US Army may have a little friendly competition developing. Minot is definitely on a roll, at least this round they didn't misplace 6 AGM-129 cruise missiles loaded with W80-1 Nuke Warheads for 36 hours.  Here's some info from todays news;

- Team USAF (represented by Minot AFB); Air Force Base Searches for Missing Machine Gun After Losing Grenades;

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2018/05/18/air-force-base-searches-missing-machine-gun-after-losing-grenades.html

- Team US Army (represent by Fort Bliss); Military Helicopter Drops Ammo over School, Busts Hole in Roof;

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2018/05/18/military-helicopter-drops-ammo-over-school-busts-hole-roof.html

The apple (or in this case the grenades and ammo) never falls too far from the tree now does it?

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

I predicted someone would be fired. We need a way to place bets on this site.

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2018/05/23/air-force-commander-fired-after-grenades-machine-gun-go-missing.html

It’s not much of a bet when the odds are nearly guaranteed. 

21 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

I predicted someone would be fired. We need a way to place bets on this site.

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2018/05/23/air-force-commander-fired-after-grenades-machine-gun-go-missing.html

I’m really sick of the AF publicly shaming its people like this. Why the F would I stay in and jump through the wickets needed, at the expense of my family, only to have the AF drag my name though the mud if some A1C under my command effs something up?

No thanks.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, flyusaf83 said:

I’m really sick of the AF publicly shaming its people like this. Why the F would I stay in and jump through the wickets needed, at the expense of my family, only to have the AF drag my name though the mud if some A1C under my command effs something up?

No thanks.

Pretty sure the AF didn't write the article. The AF made a standard announcement regarding the firing of "Col Beers." There is also something called a Freedom of Information Act request even if the AF didn't make an official announcement. The public can request to know anything they want because checks and balances are inherent to our democracy.  As a tax payer, I would want to know if you are firing incompetent officers who may send my children into harms way.

The Marines do the exact same thing as the AF: https://www.military.com/daily-news/2018/05/24/corps-fires-co-senior-enlisted-leader-light-armored-battalion.html

Are you currently tracking on who is our SECDEF? Mad Dog doesn't care if you prefer to wear tampons or maxi pads. Announcing the firings of officers is called accountability, something a lot of leadership now lacks. The AF will post your firing on Twitter too. 

Edited by HarleyQuinn

Pretty sure the AF didn't write the article

The AF released a press release, giving his name and picture to the press.  Your point is invalid.  The AF made no attempt to respect his privacy, they did the exact opposite.

There is also something called a Freedom of Information Act request even if the AF didn't make an official announcement.

So let someone submit a FOIA request. Don’t rush to the press in an attempt to save face for the AF.  “See? We did something. We fired this guy. Focus on him.”  Protect your people, not your image.

As a tax payer, I would want to know if you are firing incompetent officers who may send my children into harms way.

Valid, but do you need their name and picture?  Why not just fire the guy, and say a commander was fired (if anyone asks)?

Here’s the thing. The AF, in the minds of most of its pilots, lacks trust.  It’s about that word leadership likes to use when crushing morale - optics.  This is another case of bad optics.  I don’t trust the AF to respect me and my privacy if one of my airmen (or me) screws up.  

Maybe this guy deserved to be fired. More than likely, he’s a scapegoat for an embarrassing story.  I believe that because I have seen gutless moves by AF leadership time and time again.  Throwing people under the bus to protect the institution, or higher leadership.

Regardless, there’s no reason for the public shaming.  

The Marines do the exact same thing as the AF:

Do you need any more proof that you’re wrong?

Edited by flyusaf83

12 minutes ago, flyusaf83 said:

Maybe this guy deserved to be fired.

More than likely, he’s a scapegoat for an embarrassing story.

I believe that because I have seen gutless moves by AF leadership time and time again.  Throwing people under the bus to protect the institution, or higher leadership.

Yes, he did.  

Probably, but that is the price one pays for accepting command.  If he, and you using your argument, are willing to take the kudos when things go right, largely because of your subordinates, then the reverse should be true as well.  You are responsible for the actions, particularly the duty-related ones, for those under your command.  Why did people under his supervision lose a box of grenades and why is a weapon missing?  In North Dakota?   Especially the gun.  Those are accounted for so many times it's not even funny.  Yet this one wasn't discovered until another goof caused an inventory.

If his people didn't either respect, best case, or fear, worst case, him and do the things they are supposed to do, then that is on him.  He did not lead/train his subordinates who, in turn, let this happen.

Gutless AF leadership?  Yep.  Wheels are round as well.

Throwing people under the bus?  Said bus uses those round wheels.

Nope.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, flyusaf83 said:

The AF released a press release, giving his name and picture to the press.  Your point is invalid.  The AF made no attempt to respect his privacy, they did the exact opposite.

So let someone submit a FOIA request. Don’t rush to the press in an attempt to save face for the AF.  “See? We did something. We fired this guy. Focus on him.”  Protect your people, not your image.

Valid, but do you need their name and picture?  Why not just fire the guy, and say a commander was fired (if anyone asks)?

Here’s the thing. The AF, in the minds of most of its pilots, lacks trust.  It’s about that word leadership likes to use when crushing morale - optics.  This is another case of bad optics.  I don’t trust the AF to respect me and my privacy if one of my airmen (or me) screws up.  

Maybe this guy deserved to be fired. More than likely, he’s a scapegoat for an embarrassing story.  I believe that because I have seen gutless moves by AF leadership time and time again.  Throwing people under the bus to protect the institution, or higher leadership.

Regardless, there’s no reason for the public shaming.  

You must be a millennial period. Col Beers privacy wasn't violated in any way. Please show us where the Privacy Act applies in any way, shape, or form.  After you take the oath and drive through the gate of an installation, you are owned by Uncle Sam. This isn't liberal Silicon Valley where your feelings matter. We must violate the rights of everyone who receives a court martial too because that information is readily available as well.

Probably, but that is the price one pays for accepting command.

The comment above is spot on. Maybe this is the reason why more people are walking away. I've seen IG investigations closed out but another unsubstantiated complaint us yet again filed against a unit. Putting a CC through pure hell when everyone knows the complaints are BS. Who wants those types of problems? 

Edited by HarleyQuinn