Travis psychiatrist charged with sexual assault, rape

pawnman

Air Force Times story

A clinical psychologist who treated military veterans with post-traumatic stress has been charged with raping female service members who were in therapy as victims of sex assaults, officials said Tuesday....

Prosecutors allege the 41-year-old psychologist used a technique called exposure therapy and would ask the women to have sex with him, leaving them “even more traumatized.”

One of the women, an officer in therapy after being raped in 2002 while deployed to Afghanistan, told the investigator that Sommer moved the sessions to his home.

He told her he wanted to treat her by having her re-experience every facet of her sexual assault and then asked her to have sex with him so she could have a “positive and loving” experience, according to the prosecution.

Another woman told the investigator that as part of Sommer’s “exposure therapy” in 2015, he exposed himself and had her give him oral sex in his office. In another session, he groped her, according to testimony at the hearing reported by the newspaper.

1 hour ago, BashiChuni said:

ok not to sound insensitive, but if you're a woman and you're in this dudes office...how on earth does he convince you to blow him?!

you'd think the first time he asks or offers that the woman would get up and leave. what am i missing?

I think you're missing the part where these women were already in treatment for things like rape and sexual assault.  I wouldn't call their judgement regarding the person who was supposed to make them whole again "impartial".

It's the same reason Larry Nassar was able to get away with it for so long.  People invest a certain level of confidence in their doctors to know what they are doing and to have the patient's best interests at heart.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 5/17/2018 at 10:04 AM, BashiChuni said:

I guess so. Just seems so common sense to not let someone convince you to blow them. 

You'd think, but Pawnman has had MANY dudes convince him, so....

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1