OTS/ OCS chances and questions

Good evening everyone,
I am trying to get either OTS slot in USAF or OCS in navy. I want to be a pilot and since getting a slot is extremely competitive, I am trying my luck for both branches
Stats
- 23 years old, 5'9 height
- Bachelors in Health Sciences with two minors ( Math, Arabic)
- Top of my class summa cumme laude (3.92 overall GPA, 3.75 science)
- bilingual in Arabic
- 3 years of aviation experience ( Ramp agent, airline dispatcher) no flying I know!!!
- although I don't have a technical degree, I have a lot of science classes under my belt ( calc1,calc 2, calc 3, phy 1, phy 2, gen chem 1, gen chem 2, ochem 1, ochem 2, bio.............)

Pros 
I can't think of any beside my GPA and language skills.

Cons
- Less available slots due to many being reserved for academy (both AF and Navy). In addition, many being taken by ROTC's and I have to compete for whatever is left ( OTS or OCS.)
- Although I have taken a lot of science classes, my degree is still not technical.
- No private license or flight hours.

I have taken AFOQT (P 96/N 94/AA 82/V 70/Q 92 ) and currently studying for the ASTB. I know my disadvantages but I want to know my chances of getting a pilot slot in either branch. I spoke to both recruiters (Navy, AF) an no one is giving me a clear answer or indication about my chances.

One more question, I applied for Air force OTS and currently in the process of applying for Navy OCS. my navy recruiter told me it's not a problem while my air force recruiter told me I can only apply for one service at a time. I researched online and through many forums without finding anything. So what is the truth can I apply for both programs at the same time or I would be flagged for doing that?
Thanks everyone!!!!

• Like 1

Good evening everyone,
I am trying to get either OTS slot in USAF or OCS in navy. I want to be a pilot and since getting a slot is extremely competitive, I am trying my luck for both branches
Stats
- 23 years old, 5'9 height
- Bachelors in Health Sciences with two minors ( Math, Arabic)
- Top of my class summa cumme laude (3.92 overall GPA, 3.75 science)
- bilingual in Arabic
- 3 years of aviation experience ( Ramp agent, airline dispatcher) no flying I know!!!
- although I don't have a technical degree, I have a lot of science classes under my belt ( calc1,calc 2, calc 3, phy 1, phy 2, gen chem 1, gen chem 2, ochem 1, ochem 2, bio.............)

Pros 
I can't think of any beside my GPA and language skills.

Cons
- Less available slots due to many being reserved for academy (both AF and Navy). In addition, many being taken by ROTC's and I have to compete for whatever is left ( OTS or OCS.)
- Although I have taken a lot of science classes, my degree is still not technical.
- No private license or flight hours.

I have taken AFOQT (P 96/N 94/AA 82/V 70/Q 92 ) and currently studying for the ASTB. I know my disadvantages but I want to know my chances of getting a pilot slot in either branch. I spoke to both recruiters (Navy, AF) an no one is giving me a clear answer or indication about my chances.
One more question, I applied for Air force OTS and currently in the process of applying for Navy OCS. my navy recruiter told me it's not a problem while my air force recruiter told me I can only apply for one service at a time. I researched online and through many forums without finding anything. So what is the truth can I apply for both programs at the same time or I would be flagged for doing that?
Thanks everyone!!!!

You can apply for both at the same time.

You’ll for sure get a Navy slot. You’ll probably get an AF active duty slot.

This is coming from someone who got a Navy OCS pilot slot in college and left it for an ANG UPT slot.

My advice? Apply to the ANG/Reserves. It’s a good deal.

• Thanks 1

The whole "you can't apply for two services/components at the same time" thing has a grain of truth, your paperwork can't process through MEPS for two at the same time, so if you get that far along and are still working both ends you can get held up.

5 hours ago, Stoker said:

The whole "you can't apply for two services/components at the same time" thing has a grain of truth, your paperwork can't process through MEPS for two at the same time, so if you get that far along and are still working both ends you can get held up.

This is correct. You can still apply for Guard and Reserve unit boards though since most of them won’t require you to start doing all that stuff until after the unit selects you.

If I could turn back the clock, I’d put all of my efforts into rushing Guard/Reserve units (which in your situation would mean getting a good chunk of flight time, preferably a PPL). If you still haven’t gotten hired once the age limits start creeping up on you, then start considering Active Duty.

The Navy’s age limit for no prior service is really low — you have to commission by age 27, so if you’re just as open to the Navy as you are to the USAF/USAFR/ANG, you might want to get the ball rolling on that by the time you turn 26 so that opportunity doesn’t escape you. I was a former Navy OCS select (disenrolled due to a family emergency and then busted the age limit) and I thought it was the easiest selection method. As long as you meet the minimums to apply, doing well on the ASTB is practically guaranteed to get you selected. I also found the ASTB easier than the AFOQT and my scores reflected that. I got picked up with a 3.11 GPA, 1 hour of flight time, decent letters of recommendation, and a pretty unimpressive background. The only thing I really had going for me was good ASTB scores (60 9/9/8). Flight hours aren’t a part of the equation, unlike the Air Force PCSM.

If you’re not all that crazy about the Navy then I’d say to forego applying since that will give you another few years to keep rushing Guard and Reserve units. Since the age limit is to start UPT by age 30, most units will stop considering you around your 28th birthday. The Active Duty AF accessions OTS boards also requires the timing to work out so that the selection board meets prior to your 28th birthday (might be waiverable, I’m not sure). So if you still haven’t had any luck and time keeps ticking, I’d put it an Active Duty OTS application last.

You’re in good shape for any of the avenues as long as you get some flight time, can snag some solid letters of recommendation, and aren’t a douche.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, PilotPitts said:

You can apply for both at the same time.

You’ll for sure get a Navy slot. You’ll probably get an AF active duty slot.

This is coming from someone who got a Navy OCS pilot slot in college and left it for an ANG UPT slot.

My advice? Apply to the ANG/Reserves. It’s a good deal.

can I apply ANG or reserve without having pilot licence or flying hours? If so what are the benefits/ differences from active duty OCS or OTS (environment, commitment, requirements....)

Thanks 

36 minutes ago, louis123 said:

can I apply ANG or reserve without having pilot licence or flying hours? If so what are the benefits/ differences from active duty OCS or OTS (environment, commitment, requirements....)

Thanks 

You can apply, your chances are significantly reduced. Most fighter squadrons and some tanker/transport squadrons require a PPL to apply. Hours also factor significantly into your PCSM score, so it hurts you on both ends. That said, people with no / few hours have been hired, it just means you need to be likeable and your resume be good on everything else.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Engineer2Pilot said:

Use the search button my friend. A lot of knowledge in this forum, do some browsing. 

Thank you,

How many hours reserve/ANG fly?

Do they have the same training like OTS?

can they work for commercial airlines while off duty?

19 hours ago, PilotPitts said:

Depends

Yes

Yes

You’ll find everything you’re looking for already posted.

Thanks you,

So I did more research and still have some questions  since you were fortunate enough to get both ANG and AD offers  why would ANG in your opinion be better choice than AD?

ANG pros: 

no deployment (mostly)

can work civilian 

You know what you’re flying before committing

you can choose where to live (mostly) 

its easier to go AD if u want too

ANG cons:

not much flying hours unless you have seniority and connections

not much of military benefits 

ANG sounds like a sweet deal but will airlines hire me straight out of ANG UPT training without flying hours? Or I will have to work other jobs until I build up some hours

thanks again for your time

On 5/10/2018 at 11:48 AM, louis123 said:

Thanks you,

So I did more research and still have some questions  since you were fortunate enough to get both ANG and AD offers  why would ANG in your opinion be better choice than AD?

ANG pros: 

no deployment (mostly)

can work civilian 

You know what you’re flying before committing

you can choose where to live (mostly) 

its easier to go AD if u want too

ANG cons:

not much flying hours unless you have seniority and connections

not much of military benefits 

ANG sounds like a sweet deal but will airlines hire me straight out of ANG UPT training without flying hours? Or I will have to work other jobs until I build up some hours

thanks again for your time

ANG Pros:

You're in control of your life.

AD Pros:

Luck and timing will occasionally come up JACKPOT and you can do cool stuff you never expected.