Secondary Flight Physical; Is It Required?

Amish

Hey everybody!

I'm a pilot select who's hopefully looking at June 26th for his OTS class.

Finally, 10 months after selection , I've got my flight physical back from Wright-Patt. When I went in January, it was a single day: getting my eyes check out, teeth, hearing, all the fun stuff. Later, I was told  there would be second part that I would return for. My recruiter wasn't very detailed but he told me it would be some cognitive tests at the building across the parking lot from the Flight Med Clinic.

Fast forward to last week, I get that initial physical returned and am immediately told that I'm good to go for my June 26th class. When I voiced concerns about not completing the second physical, my recruiter emails me:

I am not 100% on the second part of the physical yet. There are changes being made. I was on a conference call yesterday which discussed some changes but we do not have final answers yet.

While I'm told it should be coming soon, I haven't received a class letter and I haven't been able to get a hold of my selection officer (who's retiring soon.) I have nothing in writing other than what my recruiter has told me. I don't feel comfortable enough to give notice to my current job. I feel like I'm going to be flagged as ineligible without this second physical and I'm going to get my class date pushed back months.

It's less than 8 weeks to the class start and I still don't have an answer. Two years in this program so I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Can anyone advise on this?

Attached is an image of a penguin. Nearly 3% of Antarctic glaciers are made of penguin pee.

slide.jpg

Are you going AD or Guard/Reserve?

The other part of the physical is called MFS (Medical Flight Screening). If you're going AD, it's standard to do MFS after OTS but before starting UPT, so it shouldn't affect your eligibility to go to OTS. If you're going Guard/Reserve, they usually knock out everything all at the same time at Wright-Patt I believe (before OTS).

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Amish said:

Hey everybody!

I'm a pilot select who's hopefully looking at June 26th for his OTS class.

Finally, 10 months after selection , I've got my flight physical back from Wright-Patt. When I went in January, it was a single day: getting my eyes check out, teeth, hearing, all the fun stuff. Later, I was told  there would be second part that I would return for. My recruiter wasn't very detailed but he told me it would be some cognitive tests at the building across the parking lot from the Flight Med Clinic.

Fast forward to last week, I get that initial physical returned and am immediately told that I'm good to go for my June 26th class. When I voiced concerns about not completing the second physical, my recruiter emails me:

While I'm told it should be coming soon, I haven't received a class letter and I haven't been able to get a hold of my selection officer (who's retiring soon.) I have nothing in writing other than what my recruiter has told me. I don't feel comfortable enough to give notice to my current job. I feel like I'm going to be flagged as ineligible without this second physical and I'm going to get my class date pushed back months.

It's less than 8 weeks to the class start and I still don't have an answer. Two years in this program so I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Can anyone advise on this

When you say you went to Wright-Patt, did you get your physical at the medical center or in Bldg 840 over in area B?  If you were seen at 840, there is no need to return.  Everything would have been done at one time.

5 hours ago, Amish said:

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, mb1685 said:

Are you going AD or Guard/Reserve?

The other part of the physical is called MFS (Medical Flight Screening). If you're going AD, it's standard to do MFS after OTS but before starting UPT, so it shouldn't affect your eligibility to go to OTS. If you're going Guard/Reserve, they usually knock out everything all at the same time at Wright-Patt I believe (before OTS).

Thanks for the reply! I am going AD. From what I have heard, I think there's been a recent effort to try and get AD selectees through MFS (thanks for putting a name to it) before OTS. However, from my recruiter's email, it seems like they might be reconsidering that.

2 hours ago, stuckindayton said:

When you say you went to Wright-Patt, did you get your physical at the medical center or in Bldg 840 over in area B?  If you were seen at 840, there is no need to return.  Everything would have been done at one time.

Thanks for the reply! Sorry for not being specific; I was at the Flight Medicine Clinic at Bldg 675 in Area B for eyes and hearing. Then they sent me over to the mainside Base Medical Center for dental, fluids, and x-rays.

We've been trying to get this changed forever, but you're coming back to Wright Patt for MFS which consists of red lens test, color vision, corneal topography, anthropometrics (height/weight) and neuro-psych (computer test).  It's a totally inefficient system (who would expect that from the USAF).