AFOQT scores too low?

SrA_Sloan

I have tried to do everything I can to make myself a good candidate for UPT, as being an AF pilot has always been my dream. I think I did alright with all of it except for some of my AFOQT scores. I have been invited to interview at 2 units (wasn't selected), but have been passed over by the last 3 I have applied to, and I'm getting a little beaten down. I have been visiting the units i'm applying to for meet and greets and a drill or two if I can, and I feel like they go well. I'm a crew chief in the guard now and about a month away from 28 years old. What are my chances? Also, any advise is always welcome. I watch GuardReserveJobs and BogiDope for job announcements, if there are more sources, I'd appreciate that info too. 

PCSM: 86

GPA: 3.211 (Ohio State, Aviation, complete)

PPL: 130 hours

AFOQT: Pilot:83 Nav: 43 AA: 39 Verb: 29 Quan: 22 

I am studying to retake the AFOQT if needed, but I'm not quite there yet.

Apply to the AFRC board unsponsored. Some of the averages for various non-pilot AFOQT sections have been in the 60s-70s, so there are guys with low scores getting picked up. Can’t hurt to try, and it’s an avenue to UPT. Midnight tomorrow is the deadline for paperwork submission for the May board, which will take unsponsored candidates but depends on the number of sponsored dudes. No idea what the rest of the year’s AFRC unsponsored hiring will look like. But getting close to age waiver territory, I would consider it. 

Edited by FlyArmy

Okay hopeful, you have had enough fun for today. No need to try and sway the guys who actually have a shot to be hired at a ANG unit.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, FlyArmy said:

Apply to the AFRC board unsponsored. Some of the averages for various non-pilot AFOQT sections have been in the 60s-70s, so there are guys with low scores getting picked up. Can’t hurt to try, and it’s an avenue to UPT. Midnight tomorrow is the deadline for paperwork submission for the May board, which will take unsponsored candidates but depends on the number of sponsored dudes. No idea what the rest of the year’s AFRC unsponsored hiring will look like. But getting close to age waiver territory, I would consider it. 

I'll have to search for a thread or website with more information on that. I just heard about it a few days ago and know nothing about it, but I'm definitely interested.