Jump to content
Baseops Forums
Sign in to follow this  
stuckindayton

Change to Air Force Color Vision Policy

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, FlyingFisher said:

I was deficient for Green in my left eye but still had a passing score of 60 so I'm not sure what would happen if you were lower than 55, but I had to do a battery of 4 extra color vision tests the following day just for research purposes. I imagine those may be used for further testing if you were below standards on the first day. Just make sure your eyes are well rested both days, it makes more of a difference than you think.

Thanks. So it sounds like if youre borderline they will administer additional tests. A catch 22 if you pass the CCT but for whatever reason can't pass one of the additional tests. I've had years of experience with the Ishihara and FALANT tests to know that depending on the day you could very well fail one of those. Curious if you pass CCT, but borderline, and fail the additional test, they hold that against you.

Edited by CavGuy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The CCT is the only test that will determine your status.  The other tests are only done for comparison/correlation purposes.  If you pass the CCT and bomb the others it is not held against you, you still pass.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello stuckindayton, I came across this forum when seeking answers about color blindness in the Air Force, specifically for pilots. I wanted to know where you got this information, and if it's credible. I'm 24, and joining the USAF is my next step in life. My dream above all else is to fly F-22s. So when reading this, it gives me hope. I just want to know if this hope is backed by real information from the USAF themselves. The Ishihara tests tell me I have minor protan, aka red/green color blindness. I find this to be a bunch of BS. I have 0 problems with red and green in the real world. I looked at that cone test that was posted here, and I could see the bottom row for a perfect score. I've just been very confused about this all. The reason I haven't taken this to a recruiter is because I'm horrified that I'll be told I could never be a pilot or something like that on the spot. Although, I currently have no bachelors and wanted to go in just to work on the F-22s at first, and shoot for officer/pilot down the line. 

Please give me some clarity. Thanks! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Resurrecting this thread again, sorry. 
I was reading on here that as of 2017 a different version of the CCT was implemented from previous versions? I took the, AFAIK, the only version available at the time (Rabin CCT) in 2015 at various civ ophthalmologists. Would the new version be a shock to the system if you're seeing it for the first time?

Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, CavGuy said:

Resurrecting this thread again, sorry. 
I was reading on here that as of 2017 a different version of the CCT was implemented from previous versions? I took the, AFAIK, the only version available at the time (Rabin CCT) in 2015 at various civ ophthalmologists. Would the new version be a shock to the system if you're seeing it for the first time?

Cheers

The new version looks a little different than the CCT from 2015 and uses and slightly different strategy, but it is based on the same science and the results from the two will be very similar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great, thank you Sir. Is it just an updated version of the Rabin or different manufacturer? I'd like to find one at a civ doc to see if I can even pass it just to be safe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Currently there are two manufacturers (Innova and NCI).   NCI  produces the updated test you previously asked about.  I'd be surprised if you can find a civilian that has the test.  Maybe if they are an AME, but even then the cost of the test is more than most civilians want to stomach.

Edited by stuckindayton
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There have been a lot of discussions relating to being Wright-Patt being the gold standard when it comes to test administration/validation. I was wondering if anyone has experience with regulations or AFI's which support the notion that WP is the end all be all. There seems to be a decent amount of discrepancies from the base level to ACS level and I was wondering if anyone here has experienced the same. I am looking to pursue some alternative options and anyone's previous experiences would be of great insight. Feel free to shoot me a PM and let me know!

 

Just know there is ALWAYS another way forward and there will people who are there to support and people who will be there to serve as barriers; the people who you may think are in your corner, may very well not be. Food for thought.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Need serious help and hoping to shed some light on current MFS at Wright Patt.  Took the CCT two years ago at my local flight med clinic.  Passed the CCT twice (once initially and again on my official FC1) with high scores.  I had a previous failure as a cadet at USAFA, but AD flight med was convinced the test the Academy did was bogus and I was indeed not color deficient.  Fast forward two years of hard work, I have my guard fighter slot with Palace Front set for May.  I attended MFS last week, scored a 55/50 on Green for CCT, fine on all other colors.  Ironically my AD flight med configured their test wrong...twice.  They set the test for long distance testing and had me sit close, which  is why I passed it. Since I failed at MFS, I am DQ from my FC1. They did a full color work up and it's true, I am mild green deficient, so no arguing the test.  After two years of absolutely grinding to get a slot, Wright patt says I am ####ed and my fighter/flying dreams are over.  I say I want this more than anything and will cut my arm off with a rusty spoon to be a fighter pilot. It seems this would have to go the way of an ETP which from what I have heard, I have a better chance at winning the lottery.  My packet is going to AFMRA this week and next which they will stamp disqualified.  What would you do?  What can I do?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BigCat said:

Need serious help and hoping to shed some light on current MFS at Wright Patt.  Took the CCT two years ago at my local flight med clinic.  Passed the CCT twice (once initially and again on my official FC1) with high scores.  I had a previous failure as a cadet at USAFA, but AD flight med was convinced the test the Academy did was bogus and I was indeed not color deficient.  Fast forward two years of hard work, I have my guard fighter slot with Palace Front set for May.  I attended MFS last week, scored a 55/50 on Green for CCT, fine on all other colors.  Ironically my AD flight med configured their test wrong...twice.  They set the test for long distance testing and had me sit close, which  is why I passed it. Since I failed at MFS, I am DQ from my FC1. They did a full color work up and it's true, I am mild green deficient, so no arguing the test.  After two years of absolutely grinding to get a slot, Wright patt says I am ####ed and my fighter/flying dreams are over.  I say I want this more than anything and will cut my arm off with a rusty spoon to be a fighter pilot. It seems this would have to go the way of an ETP which from what I have heard, I have a better chance at winning the lottery.  My packet is going to AFMRA this week and next which they will stamp disqualified.  What would you do?  What can I do?  

What would I do?

Go for the ETP. 

Medically this is how I would attack it (I'd consult an optometrist or someone who knows shit about color vision and flying first though). Do your best to reason that operationally with binocular vision you have full functionality and can pass the test. It is a binocular world and they have their reasons for testing it monocular but if it works with two eyes in the test it is going to work with two eyes in the plane (maybe?). To me that is the best argument (only argument?) you have, that it really isn't a crazy risk to let you fly.

After that, all that's left is literally selling yourself as the best damn candidate that has ever graced the USAF. You have to convince them why taking BigCat is worth all this extra risk (which hopefully you outlined as over exaggerated risk). 

You do a good job with both those things and you got a fighting chance if you ask me. 

 

In the end, can't hurt since they have already said no. I may be grasping at straws cause it truly may be a big risk to put you in the cockpit and if that's the case then it may be for your own good. Either way that's for them to decide. Still gonna send it.

 

Image result for are you silly im still gonna send it gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/10/2020 at 7:21 AM, UPTApplicant 102 said:

Anyone have any luck fighting a CCT score of 50 in one eye? ETP or waiver?

Was this during your FC 1 or during MFS? In any case, see if you can try and take the test again...if not, fight it until you can't anymore. Not sure if you are hired yet, but asking around within a squadron or knowing someone in the AF that can help you out would be huge. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So you're telling me that as long as I pass the CCT, I could become, say, a 1A9 or a 1A2? 1A9 is my dream career in the Air Force, even if it is such a long pipe-line.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/24/2018 at 5:15 PM, stuckindayton said:

Hey folks,

Big news today.  The AF has officially adopted a new (more lenient) color vision policy that is more in line with the Army and Navy.  Waivers are now available for ALL flying classes, including pilot applicants, as long as your CCT score is at least 55 with each eye on all cone types (i.e. red, green and blue letters).  If you have recently been disqualified for color vision and you think you meet the waiver criteria, PM me and we'll see if we can get a waiver put in on your behalf.  This will certainly be no problem for anyone recently DQ'd at Wright-Patt.  If it was at a different location, there may be a little more legwork, but it should be do-able.  If you are not sure whether you meet the waiver criteria, I'm happy to look into your physical and let you know.


 

 

 

My boyfriend was just disqualified for a position. Are you still working at WPAFB 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/25/2020 at 10:37 AM, Payneec said:

My boyfriend was just disqualified for a position. Are you still working at WPAFB 

Yes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dumb question on this one--does the color vision test result in a final "overall" score? Or is it each eye, each cone? Just read the waiver guide and the relook memo and didn't see reference there. Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Square said:

Dumb question on this one--does the color vision test result in a final "overall" score? Or is it each eye, each cone? Just read the waiver guide and the relook memo and didn't see reference there. Thanks.

Each eye, each cone type.  So a total of six scores (right eye red, green, blue; left eye red, green, blue).  All have to be 55 or above.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...