Baseops Forums
Sign in to follow this  
stuckindayton

Change to Air Force Color Vision Policy

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, FlyingFisher said:

I was deficient for Green in my left eye but still had a passing score of 60 so I'm not sure what would happen if you were lower than 55, but I had to do a battery of 4 extra color vision tests the following day just for research purposes. I imagine those may be used for further testing if you were below standards on the first day. Just make sure your eyes are well rested both days, it makes more of a difference than you think.

Thanks. So it sounds like if youre borderline they will administer additional tests. A catch 22 if you pass the CCT but for whatever reason can't pass one of the additional tests. I've had years of experience with the Ishihara and FALANT tests to know that depending on the day you could very well fail one of those. Curious if you pass CCT, but borderline, and fail the additional test, they hold that against you.

Edited by CavGuy

The CCT is the only test that will determine your status.  The other tests are only done for comparison/correlation purposes.  If you pass the CCT and bomb the others it is not held against you, you still pass.

Hello stuckindayton, I came across this forum when seeking answers about color blindness in the Air Force, specifically for pilots. I wanted to know where you got this information, and if it's credible. I'm 24, and joining the USAF is my next step in life. My dream above all else is to fly F-22s. So when reading this, it gives me hope. I just want to know if this hope is backed by real information from the USAF themselves. The Ishihara tests tell me I have minor protan, aka red/green color blindness. I find this to be a bunch of BS. I have 0 problems with red and green in the real world. I looked at that cone test that was posted here, and I could see the bottom row for a perfect score. I've just been very confused about this all. The reason I haven't taken this to a recruiter is because I'm horrified that I'll be told I could never be a pilot or something like that on the spot. Although, I currently have no bachelors and wanted to go in just to work on the F-22s at first, and shoot for officer/pilot down the line. 

Please give me some clarity. Thanks! 

Resurrecting this thread again, sorry. 
I was reading on here that as of 2017 a different version of the CCT was implemented from previous versions? I took the, AFAIK, the only version available at the time (Rabin CCT) in 2015 at various civ ophthalmologists. Would the new version be a shock to the system if you're seeing it for the first time?

Cheers

5 hours ago, CavGuy said:

Resurrecting this thread again, sorry. 
I was reading on here that as of 2017 a different version of the CCT was implemented from previous versions? I took the, AFAIK, the only version available at the time (Rabin CCT) in 2015 at various civ ophthalmologists. Would the new version be a shock to the system if you're seeing it for the first time?

Cheers

The new version looks a little different than the CCT from 2015 and uses and slightly different strategy, but it is based on the same science and the results from the two will be very similar.

Great, thank you Sir. Is it just an updated version of the Rabin or different manufacturer? I'd like to find one at a civ doc to see if I can even pass it just to be safe.

Posted (edited)

Currently there are two manufacturers (Innova and NCI).   NCI  produces the updated test you previously asked about.  I'd be surprised if you can find a civilian that has the test.  Maybe if they are an AME, but even then the cost of the test is more than most civilians want to stomach.

Edited by stuckindayton
  • Upvote 1

There have been a lot of discussions relating to being Wright-Patt being the gold standard when it comes to test administration/validation. I was wondering if anyone has experience with regulations or AFI's which support the notion that WP is the end all be all. There seems to be a decent amount of discrepancies from the base level to ACS level and I was wondering if anyone here has experienced the same. I am looking to pursue some alternative options and anyone's previous experiences would be of great insight. Feel free to shoot me a PM and let me know!

Just know there is ALWAYS another way forward and there will people who are there to support and people who will be there to serve as barriers; the people who you may think are in your corner, may very well not be. Food for thought.