Change to Air Force Color Vision Policy

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/8/2020 at 3:19 PM, stuckindayton said:

There have been some ETPs and even some waivers granted for people who are below on only one eye by a very small margin, but I can't give you any rhyme or reason who gets them and who doesn't.  While they have happened, I think it was the exception, not the rule.

Sir, 

Are you able to give any additional information on this. Have the regs changed at all stating that waivers can be approved for those who are not prior rated? I have tried in the past to get one as I have since passsed the CCT with no luck. Thanks in advance for any information. 

3 minutes ago, DoublerDoud said:

Sir, 

Are you able to give any additional information on this. Have the regs changed at all stating that waivers can be approved for those who are not prior rated? I have tried in the past to get one as I have since passsed the CCT with no luck. Thanks in advance for any information. 

I PM'd you.

• 2 months later...

Hello,

I am currently contracting with the Marines and have always had issues regarding my red cone. I fail the PIP test consistently falling below a passing score by a small margin. I scored a 95 on all cones with the exception of the red which was a 40 on my CCT. My OSO recommended I reclass to an Air Intel Contract and attempt a lateral transfer with an in-service waiver. Has anyone heard of waivers such as this or should I just move on. I've wasted a good year and a half trying to get around this issue with no luck. 

Appreciate any advice,

Mike

• 5 months later...
On 10/8/2020 at 2:19 PM, stuckindayton said:

There have been some ETPs and even some waivers granted for people who are below on only one eye by a very small margin, but I can't give you any rhyme or reason who gets them and who doesn't.  While they have happened, I think it was the exception, not the rule.

Just got disqualified with this exact situation and this post gave me a glimmer of hope. Any trends in these being approved/denied as of late? Thanks for all the info you provide! 

Edited by GHawk

12 hours ago, GHawk said:

Just got disqualified with this exact situation and this post gave me a glimmer of hope. Any trends in these being approved/denied as of late? Thanks for all the info you provide! 

GHawk,

I'm sorry I don't really have an answer.  I left Wright-Patt last fall and don't have any privy to recent events.  I will say that many of these "exceptions" are based on who is sitting in the decision making seat so they do change with personnel changes.  All I do know for sure is that there have been very borderline cases where an applicant was given the thumbs up.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, CavGuy said:

I was told Wright Pat is now getting rid of the CCT all together, going to a test called the "CCTV" or something like that. This supposedly comes from ACS itself since so many people fail the CCT. 

It may be possible.  I don't know, but it would surprise me.  The two devices agree with each about 98-99% of the time so changing wouldn't affect the pass/fail rate to any meaningful extent.  I'll ask the folks at ACS and let you know what I hear.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Can anyone tell me if they’re still using the version of the CCT with the letters? I passed that with good scores except green (55 in each eye), but I’ve heard they may have switched to the directional C test? How would you guys say that compares to the letter version? I plan on giving flight med a ring tomorrow and seeing if they’d be willing to come let me try the new test a time or two so I’m not going to WP totally in the dark  

If I end up getting a 50 in an eye, are they medical personnel amenable to a retest? I’ve just been picked up with a pilot slot in the AD board and am awaiting MFS dates (certified FC1 Jan 2019, never got around to applying). Thanks for any information! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/17/2022 at 11:00 AM, Nate B said:

Can anyone tell me if they’re still using the version of the CCT with the letters? I passed that with good scores except green (55 in each eye), but I’ve heard they may have switched to the directional C test? How would you guys say that compares to the letter version? I plan on giving flight med a ring tomorrow and seeing if they’d be willing to come let me try the new test a time or two so I’m not going to WP totally in the dark  

If I end up getting a 50 in an eye, are they medical personnel amenable to a retest? I’ve just been picked up with a pilot slot in the AD board and am awaiting MFS dates (certified FC1 Jan 2019, never got around to applying). Thanks for any information! 

I could never pass the letter version of the CCT. The Landolt version with the C's is easier for me and I can pass it on a good day with rested eyes and a lot of focus. Wright Pat will not let you retake the CCT, at least not back in 2021. You will go through a battery of other color vision tests if you fail the CCT. YMMV. 

2 hours ago, CavGuy said:

I could never pass the letter version of the CCT. The Landolt version with the C's is easier for me and I can pass it on a good day with rested eyes and a lot of focus. Wright Pat will not let you retake the CCT, at least not back in 2021. You will go through a battery of other color vision tests if you fail the CCT. YMMV. 

Awesome to hear, thank you. Still no dates for MFS but when it happens I’ll post experience in the IFC1 thread.