PPL in Pueblo, CO after IFT

Anyone know of a place in Pueblo Colorado to known out the remainder of the PPL requirements after IFT is complete? I'm looking to take leave to get that knocked out, preferably on the same air frame (DA20) while it's all fresh. One place I found there was giving me email kick backs, which is never a good sign.

Anyone know of a place in Pueblo Colorado to known out the remainder of the PPL requirements after IFT is complete? I'm looking to take leave to get that knocked out, preferably on the same air frame (DA20) while it's all fresh. One place I found there was giving me email kick backs, which is never a good sign.

Honestly dude. Just go to UPT, focus on that flying, finish that up and get your commercial rating. That’s a lot cheaper and better overall rating. Just need to take a test from a local place.

3 minutes ago, B.L said:

Honestly dude. Just go to UPT, focus on that flying, finish that up and get your commercial rating. That’s a lot cheaper and better overall rating. Just need to take a test from a local place.

Should've specified. I'm in the URT track for RPA pilot. Although UPT can happen because our unit has manned platforms, more than likely I'll stay URT.

This is what I found over at airforceots.com, I remember them talking about it in more detail, but I can't find any other threads over there. I'd bet if you call up Doss Aviation, they'll be able to walk you through what other people have done in the past (maybe they can do it as well?) http://www.dossaviation.com/our-services/flight-training

From: https://airforceots.com/viewtopic.php?f=142&t=33435&sid=59b6003b22a6ed59fe08ea305b7b30b3

jringeno wrote:I know someone had mentioned that IFS (IFQ) doesn't fulfill all of the PPL requirments, but you might be able to get it after via PTDY. Is this true and how do you go about making that happen. Thanks.

You have heard correctly. 558th SQ leadership makes it easy to get approved. Just coordinate with them toward the end of your time at IFS and you will get it approved via leaveweb. It goes without saying that it's a privilege and not a right, but I haven't heard of anyone getting denied. 

Expect to spend about $2000-$2500 to finish up. Typically takes about a week. The rest of the info will be readily available at IFS as they are very familiar with the process.

Edited by Sit On Acorns

The IFT brief says that training should cover roughly 80% of the PPL requirements. Does your $2k - $2.5k cover that remaining 20%? Or is your estimate for the CSO and UPT pilots who only go to IFT for roughly a month? The URT trainees end up flying more than anyone else in IFT and I'm trying to plan in advance to cover costs and see if its worth getting right after

Sorry, that made for a bad copy & paste, but that was from the other forum and I don't really know specifics. I'd start with calling Doss, though. Their website says they have a part 141 school as well and I'm sure they're familiar with people wanting to do exactly what you're trying to. Either they can do it or point you to people who can.

1 hour ago, Bobert said:

The IFT brief says that training should cover roughly 80% of the PPL requirements. Does your $2k - $2.5k cover that remaining 20%? Or is your estimate for the CSO and UPT pilots who only go to IFT for roughly a month? The URT trainees end up flying more than anyone else in IFT and I'm trying to plan in advance to cover costs and see if its worth getting right after

That guy mentioned the 558th FTS specifically (for approving the PTDY) so I'm pretty sure he's talking about RPA and therefore his cost estimate is for that remaining 20%. Plus $2.5k seems like it'd be implausibly cheap for any significantly greater amount than 20% of the hours required for a PPL.

Why would you get a PPL if you are going to be trained in military air craft?

If you have a PPL they send you to the “special” course. It’s much easier and you get Friday’s off. That’s the only reason I know of.
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

If nothing else, start a civilian logbook and have your instructor do the sign off on each entry. Then, if you can't finish (or choose not to) your ppl right after IFS, you can take your logbook to another CFI elsewhere to finish up.

Circa 2012 some of the Doss IPs bought a DA-20 that they keep at Pueblo to do PpL topoffs. Find someone at the 558 who recently got back from Pueblo and they should know more. If that doesn’t work call Doss.