Guard Seasoning to Reserve Unit

elvis

Question

Hi all, 

If selected for a Guard F-16 unit, after RTU, in the two years of seasoning, can you go to a reserve F-16 unit to accomplish that seasoning? Or does it specifically have to be a Guard unit that sponsors your seasoning? 

elvis 

Edited by elvis
wording

6 answers to this question

1 hour ago, elvis said:

Hi all, 

If selected for a Guard F-16 unit, after RTU, in the two years of seasoning, can you go to a reserve F-16 unit to accomplish that seasoning? Or does it specifically have to be a Guard unit that sponsors your seasoning? 

elvis 

As far as I know, you would go back to your home unit for seasoning.  I doubt your unit is going to pay a reserve unit to spin you up for 2 years.  You belong to that guard unit.  A guard unit isn't really a sponsor in the sense that I understand reserve units sponsoring folks.  You are hired to a specific guard unit, and they own you. 

4 hours ago, black hills tj said:

As far as I know, you would go back to your home unit for seasoning.  I doubt your unit is going to pay a reserve unit to spin you up for 2 years.  You belong to that guard unit.  A guard unit isn't really a sponsor in the sense that I understand reserve units sponsoring folks.  You are hired to a specific guard unit, and they own you. 

Thanks for the response, black hills tj. I should've added specific details, for example an ANG unit that is an RTU base as well. If you get picked up by them and you HAVE to leave for your seasoning of 2 years to an active base, at that point can you pick an active F-16 Guard or Reserve to do those 2 years of seasoning or does it still have to be specifically Guard F-16's. 

On 4/17/2018 at 11:19 PM, FlyArmy said:

I know of a guy in that situation who ended up in a reserve squadron for seasoning and has the choice to stay or go back once seasoning is over.

Awesome, that's exactly what I was looking to hear. Appreciate the response, FlyArmy. 

14 hours ago, elvis said:

Revitalizing this thread for a similar question. Since I can't return to my unit for seasoning, can I go to an overseas active duty base for the 2-3 years? 

I know 1 F-16 dude personally that did it years ago, it can be done.  Call AFPC and tell them exactly what you want and when, what are they gonna do, say no?

• Like 1