Baseops Forums
Sign in to follow this  
HuggyU2

GA Aircraft Flown

14 hours ago, brickhistory said:

Is the mini going to be big/enough to display enough info at a size an old guy can read without constant sizing actions, especially as a student learning instruments? (Hopefully, that made sense).

The display on the mini is nearly the same size as the paper approach plates. The only time I've had to zoom is to look at some of the details on the Jepp plates.

On 9/3/2020 at 9:25 AM, brickhistory said:

1.  Recommendations for headset? 

Bose A20 or the LIghtspeed.  

I've got an old pair of Bose X, and they are great.  When they die, I'm getting the A20 since it is TSO'd for airline use, noise cancelling, and extremely comfortable.  It is a step up from my Bose X (which is very good).  

If the Lightspeed price is significantly better, and you can live with a non-TSO headset, that might be a very good option.  I've borrowed them a couple of times and they work well.  

Edited by HuggyU2

Thanks to all for the gouge.  Just gonna have to buy and see what works, then adjust as necessary when it's actual use time.

I am grateful for the decades of experience that folks gave in their advice.

19 hours ago, brickhistory said:

Some follow-ups, if I may.  And not arguing, simply don't know...

Is the mini going to be big/enough to display enough info at a size an old guy can read without constant sizing actions, especially as a student learning instruments? (Hopefully, that made sense).

From my days 30 years ago, the fit then in a 152/172 was tight, esp I'm still as tall (6'5"), but 60 lbs heavier (230).  Room for any of these as a kneeboard kind of a thing (especially a bigger one like the Pro) or a suction cup on a window?

Roger on the Bose A20s.  They are proud of their prices, aren't they?

Unscientifically determined, but the mini displays approach plates the same size as a real, paper one. I use a RAM mount suctioned to the window. Works great in a 172 if you mount it on the little side window, where it does not block too much of your view. 

RE: the A20, yeah they’re pricey, but worth it. I can’t fly with anything else now. Periodically, Bose will run deals. I got mine on a $90/month for 10 months, no interest financing. 

• Upvote 1

Late to the fight here, but I have used the mini and find it to be perfect for GA.   An air or pro would block too much crap IMO.  

If you can handle the feeling of earplugs, check out Clarity Aloft or Halo QT.  I've been using Halo's for GA (non-warbird) flying for the last 8 years or so.  They are great, no batteries to change and super light.  

So in the last three days, I have flown, with an instructor, a Cirrus SR20, a Diamond DA40, and a Cessna 172.  All had the G1000 panels.

In the San Antonio area in September - hot and humid.

First, nice to realize that some mechanical skills come back without too much effort - can turn while holding altitude, other very basic flying things.  It's been literally 30 years since I last did so.

Second, glass is great!  The intricacies of using the panel is still in the future, but I'll be going to ground and refresher school for that, so no worries.  But the ease of use/interpretation was much better than I imagined since I last used the round steam gauges for everything.  Not having to have a paper explosion when crossing sectional boundaries, or when I get my instrument rating, having approach plate pages flop to the wrong one, etc. will be nice.

Third, and this is how I tried to explain it too my non-flying wife - the Cirrus with its performance, interior, and AIR CONDITIONING was like being in a really nice Mercedes or BMW.  The side yoke also made it much more comfortable for a 6'4" guy for leg room.  My instructor used a 8x11 iPad and had plenty of room to use it on his lap as a kneeboard.  I want one of these.  @500K and up new, of course.

The Diamond with it's stick and lots of plexiglass was new to me.  Damned hot all day.  Got queasy while skull down trying to read/play with the G1000 for some of the gee whiz stuff while bouncing around at 2500 ft.  Not as roomy as the Cirrus or the Cessna especially for long legs.  My instructor used an iPad Mini on a suction cup on the side window.

The Cessna was old home week.  Like being in a 1968 VW Bug with the mother of all stereos for the G1000.  Also hot, but less so than the Diamond since it was less plexiglass to heat up.   The yoke coming back into the lap thing is making me reassess my plan of buying a full size iPad (cuz I'm old as are my eyes) and going with the Mini.  Just ain't as much room in the thing now as when I weighed a whopping 160 back then.

Sticking with the David Clark's for now until I've tried multiple other headsets and decide to drop $1K or more

Bottom line:  Air conditioning is great in a small plane.  It should be considered a basic human right.

I am really grateful for all the inputs received here for recommendations and gouge.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, brickhistory said:

First, nice to realize that some mechanical skills come back without too much effort - can turn while holding altitude, other very basic flying things.  It's been literally 30 years since I last so

Welcome back. General aviation is great. Come on in...the water is fine.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, brickhistory said:

Bottom line:  Air conditioning is great in a small plane.  It should be considered a basic human right.

Welcome back to the GA world, I started back up last year and have been having a blast, while making lots of new friends.  Was driving home from the rents today and stopped by an airport because I saw a Stearman inside an open hangar.  Wandered up to the hangar to say hey and walked away with a bunch of ideas for my Stearman (plus their offer to help), and a planned 3-ship Stearman outing next weekend.  As I was leaving I ran into a retired UAL Captain I know, so we took his Cub up and bounced around the local grass fields.  Great people that just love aviation.

Did you say air conditioning?

20200714_192140.jpg

Little bit too much AC this day...hoodie wasn't quite enough!

20200512_120040.jpg

Edited by SocialD
  • Like 6
  • Upvote 2

If you like the Cirrus wait until you discover Lancair, 200kts cruise, glass in front, side stick and only $235k

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

GA really is a top notch community. Mostly. Gonna have your grumps, but people are just good in general I've found. 

• Upvote 3

Just started back while on the staff and forgot how how much fun this is. I dug out the old ASA headset they have us at NIFT at Pensacola and freshened it up with a few things from Oregon Aero. No regearts but I’ll try out the uflymike [https://uflymike.com] before throwing down on the $869 and up ANR sets. 

On 9/14/2020 at 8:00 AM, EvilEagle said:

If you can handle the feeling of earplugs, check out Clarity Aloft or Halo QT.  I've been using Halo's for GA (non-warbird) flying for the last 8 years or so.  They are great, no batteries to change and super light.  

+1 for the Halo.  Would not fly with anything else.  No interference wearing a hat or sunglasses.  Light and comfortable.