Raptor Gear Up at Fallon?

RTB

2 hours ago, YoungnDumb said:

Okay, so young guy question (check user name).  What' the likely course of action for this?  Like FEB, slap on the wrist, Q3, nothing?  Just curious

Depends: is he a HPO?

• Upvote 1

Low transition = suck the gear up as early as possible, stay as low as possible on the deck while gaining all the knots you can, pull up at end of runway, look cool.

Doesnt work if you yank the gear with minimal flying speed and settle back down onto the runway.  

3 hours ago, ayz33 said:

Does gear go up with weight on wheels? Also, is ground effect much of a thing on fighters?

Wingspan is smaller on fighters, thus ground effect is not as yuge as larger aircraft.

Edited by FishBowl
TIMS flagged me as retarded.

Low transition = suck the gear up as early as possible, stay as low as possible on the deck while gaining all the knots you can, pull up at end of runway, look cool.

Doesnt work if you yank the gear with minimal flying speed and settle back down onto the runway.  

C’mon, this is a f-22 with some serious thrusties. Either a monumental rotation f-up or engine issue is all I can figure. Ground effect, gear door drag n/a

10 hours ago, BolterKing said:

AKA standard takeoff.  Unless you're in the Navy where they lose their shit over fighter pilots being fighter pilots.

18 hours ago, Buddy Spike said:

AKA standard takeoff.  Unless you're in the Navy where they lose their shit over fighter pilots being fighter pilots.

Says the USAF guy?!?

On 5/25/2018 at 4:49 AM, Buddy Spike said:

Says the guy who spent 6 years in a Navy Hornet squadron and had a very good friend get FNAEB'd for it.  

As a Hornet guy in the guard now, the USAF aus way more F’d up.  The FNAEB process isn’t perfect, but it’s way more democratic/pragmatic.  Just look at the outcome of the sky writers.  You telling me the USAF would’ve ever let them keep their wings, let alone keep flying?

8 hours ago, BolterKing said:

As a Hornet guy in the guard now, the USAF aus way more F’d up.  The FNAEB process isn’t perfect, but it’s way more democratic/pragmatic.  Just look at the outcome of the sky writers.  You telling me the USAF would’ve ever let them keep their wings, let alone keep flying?

You've obviously spent zero time in the Navy Reserve.  Comparing the two reserve forces (which is valid, not comparing AD to AD), the Navy Reserve is about as fucked up as it gets. I can't tell you how many months in 6 years we had one - YES - ONE jet available to fly.  I didn't even know what a hot pit/hot seat was until it became a necessity just to maintain currency.

I doubt the sky writer thing would've ever happened because, well, the ARC has better things to do than dick around on a 1 v 0.  But as for risk aversion, well, every day I'd listen to dudes (and leadership) in the ready room marvel at the eagles doing closed patterns or unrestricted climbs and marvel at how they still had their wings. The biggest myth in aviation is that the Navy treats its pilots like adults.  No, they don't, they just give you more rope to hang yourself with nebulous rules that can be used against you at their leisure.

And I'll bet you went through an actual TX and MQT when you transitioned to the Guard, right?  Not a "CAT Other" 8 hr checkout and a "go watch the DVD to learn BFM" directive?

Meanwhile the flying schedule would get delayed twice a week so we could all gather round in the base gym and do group PT/jazzercise at 0730.  Yeah, the Navy is definitely less fucked up.  

• 5 months later...

Copy, guy cant read the TOLD on his line up card, even though it was wrong.

I do this crazy thing in the jet where, I circle the important TOLD data on the line up card in the brief, then I takeoff IAW my TOLD data and feel out what the jet wants to do. I also wait to put the gear up until I'm comfortably climbing away from the ground...

Edited by Kenny Powers

Just now, LiquidSky said:

Sounded to me more like a community wide issue based off the charts presented in P.16 of the AIB and end of the article. Not just one guy.

I didn't read the whole thing but, what I will say, is that as a single seat fighter pilot you're the Mayor of Cockpit City. I do what I want in my jet. I am more than happy to take lessons learned from others and apply them to my jet to make me better/safer.

This is just a dumbass mistake, nothing more. We all make mistakes at some point, this dude made an expensive one.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

To follow up; if, as a fighter pilot,  you say "well someone told me this and I dont know/remember why", then you're full of shit and lack credibility. Everything we need to do to execute well /safely is written in our pubs.

Everything else is technique

Priceless comment dude. Allow me to paraphrase...”you’re an idiot if you don’t read, but I’m too lazy to read the whole AIB.”

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Standby said:

Priceless comment dude. Allow me to paraphrase...”you’re an idiot if you don’t read, but I’m too lazy to read the whole AIB.”

WTF are you talking about? I read all I needed to read to know what happened.

Please, enlighten me about your prestigious comment.

The AIB went way easier on the guy than the rumors I had heard. How the fuck you rotate 20 knots early is really beyond me. Seems like basic airmanship would prevent that from happening. Student pilots don’t make that mistake. 

Edited by BashiChuni

6 hours ago, BashiChuni said:

The AIB went way easier on the guy than the rumors I hard heard. How the fuck you rotate 20 knots early is really beyond me. Seems like basic airmanship would prevent that from happening. Student pilots don’t make that mistake. 

Contraire young Padawan, there's more than 1 F-16 class A that involves early rotation and gear retraction.

Edited by matmacwc
  • Like 1