Raptor Gear Up at Fallon?

RTB

I feel bad for whoever gets fragged for this SIB.  Not only do they lose a month+ of flying, but they have to listen to Raptor dudes refer to their jet in the 3rd person.  ("And then, Raptor did....")

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 9

Door drag? Seriously?

Well I’m trying to get something out better than “f-22 pilot made a UPT student on the road to washout” mistake.

Climbing away before gear up is something I learned in a prop retractable and every plane since.

And if a combat loaded hog can lose an engine on takeoff and keep flying, a F-22 is really out of excuses on how this happened.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, di1630 said:

Well I’m trying to get something out better than “f-22 pilot made a UPT student on the road to washout mistake. 

You have noticed the bar being slowly lowered over the last decade or so .... right?

14 hours ago, M2 said:
UPDATE from sources: "Info on the Raptor mishap at Fallon: The slide happened on takeoff. Appears to have been a left engine flameout when the pilot throttled up to take off. By the time he realized the engine was dead, he had already been airborne for a few seconds and raised the gear. The jet bounced for around 1500 feet, and then slide for about 5000 feet. They got it off the ground and on its landing gear last night, so the runway is clear. Chain is wanting it to be quiet still. It's very fresh obviously. But it's looking like the second engine failure on Elmo jets in a 7 day period."

This would be consistent with what everyone who saw it thought was a low transition gone wrong.  Still hard to believe it couldn’t fly away on one, it was a cool day and DA shouldn’t have been a factor.  

7 hours ago, Ram said:

I feel bad for whoever gets fragged for this SIB.  Not only do they lose a month+ of flying, but they have to listen to Raptor dudes refer to their jet in the 3rd person.  ("And then, Raptor did....")

Hilarious, because it's true!  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Or you could say nothing and wait for the SIB. Rule #1...anyone...anyone?

Here’s a real question: in a case like this where non-fatal, non-injury, no direct ties on this board, everything based on open source speculation and internet photos, I’ll bite....what’s the harm of discussing probable scenarios and causes?

15 minutes ago, di1630 said:

Here’s a real question: in a case like this where non-fatal, non-injury, no direct ties on this board, everything based on open source speculation and internet photos, I’ll bite....what’s the harm of discussing probable scenarios and causes?

Because Raptor will become self aware, travel back in time and try to kill your mom.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, matmacwc said:

......or he didn’t have/use enough grunt to get it airborne.

use enough? - I'll grant you that.  If Mr. Left hand wasn't locked in the forward-most position, that may be a contributing factor.

have enough?  From what I've been told, if just one of those dino-burning monsters was full up, that lad had as many thrusties available as I used to start out every takeoff roll with in the might-mighty.  Whether he opted to use them in a time appropriate manner may be the question 'o the day.  Time will tell.

4 hours ago, di1630 said:

Let’s cut to the chase then.

If he wasn’t Green Dot current, look no further.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

3 hours ago, BFM this said:

Let’s cut to the chase then.

If he wasn’t Green Dot current, look no further.

Nope.  His cyber awareness training expired and the jet locked his account at a very inopportune moment.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, FourFans130 said:

Nope.  His cyber awareness training expired and the jet locked his account at a very inopportune moment.

Then how’d he even sign for the jet?!  I suspect the lack of use of his hand was the fear installed from SAPR training.  

• 5 weeks later...

Navy speak, must of tried a low approach and settled on the runway, or as a lot of us surmised, what happened.

My favorite Navy speak briefing with Hornets, "We are going to bring our section to the break and bounce."  WTF are you talking about?

Edited by matmacwc