Raptor Gear Up at Fallon?

RTB

2 hours ago, RTB said:

Saw this on FB...have heard the pictures are legit but no other info...

whatever the cause, it's going to be pricey!

raptor.thumb.jpg.b1fc9c61cdf4c3bfbd8180720d551c1f.jpg

So? Were the Navy guys impressed?

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, HuggyU2 said:

A few years ago, a Raptor landed gear up when the pilot neglected to lower the gear. 

Do do any of you know if that pilot flew again in the USAF?

Yep, he did.  Touch and go gone wrong.  Reserve O-4 or O-5, sat for a while but went on to finish the TX then off to his Reserve unit.

I take it the 22 doesn’t have weight on wheels switch that keeps the gear from being retracted?

I’m sure it does. Maybe this guy retracted and the door drag made it settle. That happened with a viper t-g a few years back. Not sure the -22 sequencing.

Sad thing is, you can bet your ass this f-up will trickle down in the form of some reg for the rest of us.
  • Upvote 1

Density altitude can be an issue at Fallon, and I would guess that gear door drag and less than sea-level performance may have played a role here.  Engine failure would also make sense of course.

Edited by WheelzUp

Density altitude can be an issue at Fallon, and I would guess that gear door drag and less than sea-level performance may have played a role here.  Engine failure would also make sense of course.

None of which should cause a mishap on their own but I guess that’s why we have an SIB...or AIB here.

13 hours ago, di1630 said:

I’m sure it does. Maybe this guy retracted and the door drag made it settle. That happened with a viper t-g a few years back. Not sure the -22 sequencing.

Sad thing is, you can bet your ass this f-up will trickle down in the form of some reg for the rest of us.

Door drag? Seriously?

The F-16 flaperons start retracting when the gear goes up.  If the aircraft is heavy and or hot with high density altitude you can settle/sink a little bit when you put the gear up.  F-22 probably has something similar, if you’re going with that theory.

Edited by matmacwc

UPDATE from sources: "Info on the Raptor mishap at Fallon: The slide happened on takeoff. Appears to have been a left engine flameout when the pilot throttled up to take off. By the time he realized the engine was dead, he had already been airborne for a few seconds and raised the gear. The jet bounced for around 1500 feet, and then slide for about 5000 feet. They got it off the ground and on its landing gear last night, so the runway is clear. Chain is wanting it to be quiet still. It's very fresh obviously. But it's looking like the second engine failure on Elmo jets in a 7 day period."

2 hours ago, matmacwc said:

Door drag? Seriously?

Ohhhhh... he meant gear door drag as in actually dragging on the runway.  That could cause problems.  :aviator:

As far as losing an engine at brake release?......... and not realizing it?......... lots to say but I'll refrain..... other than a general observation.  You've got a kick-ass set of engines if you can't even tell you've popped one between pushing up the power and rotating.  Just sayin'

• Upvote 3