Hangar 24 AirFest '18

HuggyU2

This event continues to grow, and is a two-day event this year.  19-20 May, in Redlands, CA... about 1 hour west of Palm Springs.  

This not your father's airshow:  it's a beer festival, concert, with an airshow component.  

And there is more craft beer at AirFest than at any airshow in the US.  

The Canadians are bringing the CF-18 Demo Team for one of their very few US performances, including a twilight performance on Saturday evening.  F-16 Demo will be there too.  The civilian performers are stellar.  

FYI:  the Sunday show is going to be different.  The planes will fly, but about half of the show will not be announced.  Instead, the bands will play while the aircraft fly overhead.  Should be a laid back vibe, with a a lot of "beermosas" flowing... and should make for a relaxed Sunday.  

Click on the Redlands date for the dropdown menu:  https://www.hangar24airfest.com

If interested in bringing a static display, drop me a note, and I'll pass your info on.  

https://hangar24brewing.com

On 4/12/2018 at 1:08 PM, HuggyU2 said:

Should be a laid back vibe, with a a lot of "beermosas" flowing... and should make for a relaxed Sunday.  

You're using High Life for those beermosas, right? The champagne of beers is the only way to do it.

099e5cf7c22e3064db81abfcef0b661c.jpg

16 hours ago, ThreeHoler said:

Nah this runway is larger than the min LxW. Probably doesn’t have the WBC though.

I know anyone else can look this up pretty easily, but

Runway Information

Runway 8/26

Dimensions:  4504 x 75 ft. / 1373 x 23 m
Surface:  asphalt, in good condition
Weight bearing capacity: 
Single wheel:  12.5
Runway edge lights:  medium intensity
  RUNWAY 8    RUNWAY 26
Latitude:  34-05.113665N   34-05.118037N
Longitude:  117-09.228998W   117-08.336917W
Elevation:  1471.7 ft.   1574.4 ft.
Gradient:  2.1%   2.1%
Traffic pattern:  left   right
Runway heading:  076 magnetic, 090 true   256 magnetic, 270 true
Markings:  basic, in good condition   basic, in fair condition
Visual slope indicator:  2-light PAPI on left (3.00 degrees glide path)    
Runway end identifier lights:  yes   yes
Touchdown point:  yes, no lights   yes, no lights
Obstructions:  4 ft. fence, 300 ft. from runway, 125 ft. left of centerline, 25:1 slope to clear   60 ft. trees, 1500 ft. from runway, 120 ft. left of centerline, 22:1 slope to clear

https://www.airnav.com/airport/KREI

I think the limiting factor would probably be taxiway widths, obstructions and exits from the runway.  But what do I know, I was a sweaty, not the driver.

Personally I think it'd be really cool to have a C-17 on the ground for this one Huggy if it's even possible, but I'm biased cuz I was a -17 guy.  At the very least, could there be some sort of aerial demo, and not just the one pass by the March guys there was last year?

I know, Clayton.  But the ramp is slammed.  They are just about out of room.  

And I'm pretty sure the throat from the taxiway to the ramp isn't big enough for a C-17.  

• 4 weeks later...

Great show. Brought the family up to Redlands today. Well organized, relatively easy to get in and out, musical and flying performances were great, and that announcer was okay too I guess.  Recommend. First time to this show and will be back for future events. 

I wish you'd have stopped by and said hi.  

Saturday was packed.  The international beer festival that ran before the show was a huge hit, it seemed.  

Sunday had a more laid back feel by design.  

Pretty impressive lineup all around.  

Edited by HuggyU2

Thought about it, but my boys’ (7 & 10) fun meters pegged around 430. Watched the viper demo from the parking lot as we were packing the car up. Maybe next year. 😎  Interesting tidbit: one of your performers this year (who is a co-worker of mine) happens to be a MiG killer. All in all it was a good atmosphere and much easier to get the wifey to come along willingly with live music and good booze on offer. This will definitely be an annual event I’ll try not to miss.  

21 hours ago, Prozac said:

Interesting tidbit: one of your performers this year (who is a co-worker of mine) happens to be a MiG killer. 

Yes, he's a great guy!  I've announced a number of shows for him (and them) over the past few years.