Headset questions for PPL and beyond

jvlonardo

I plan on earning my PPL over the next couple of months so I can apply to AFR units by Fall. Likely C-130 units considering my location (Eastern OH). It seems worth it to purchase a headset in the long run, but wanted you guys to weigh in. Is it worth me spending the big bucks on an A20 or Lightspeed, or go for a mid-priced DC? I don't know if pilots ever use their own headset during training / in the reserve. Might be silly to buy a nice one then be gone for ~2-3 years OTS/UPT/whatever follows before I touch it again, not to mention depreciation. I did see another thread about getting a nice used pair of DC and just replacing parts as needed. I could also just work with what's available at my flight school for the ~60 hrs I'll be earning.

23 minutes ago, FlyArmy said:

Buy a used pair of A20s, then sell it if/when you’re done using it for about what you paid for it. Or buy my pair of lightspeed Zulu 2s that I haven’t used in a few years.

Thanks for the input. Seems like the high range ones hold their value pretty well but wasn't sure if I'd enjoy it being just a new flyer. How much you selling them for? I've heard a few material / ANR concerns with the zulu 2 but they (A20, zulu, sennheisers) all seem to have quirks.

For your PPL BUY a good mid-priced headset.  One that is yours, not some schoolhouse communal headset some other dudes been sweating all over the ear seals and lipping up the boom mike.  Ugh.   Used communal headsets for 20+ years as a flightline maintainer not exactly hygienic. 

Once in Mother Blue's employ you'll get issued a nice shiny new one that's compatible with military radios (single plug, civilian headsets have a dual) 

For PPL flying I've had the same DC 10--30 headset for about 10 years, may not be the most comfortable headset in the world but it works great.  Went with the DC because they also made/make the headsets we used on the flightline and we abused the crap out of those things and they kept on going and easy to repair when required. 

Your mileage may vary, but whatever you do get your own friggin headset it's worth the piece of mind and hygiene.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, jvlonardo said:

Thanks for the input. Seems like the high range ones hold their value pretty well but wasn't sure if I'd enjoy it being just a new flyer. How much you selling them for? I've heard a few material / ANR concerns with the zulu 2 but they (A20, zulu, sennheisers) all seem to have quirks.

No idea. They have about 40 hours on them and I needed a TSOd set for my airline job, so I got A20s 4 years ago when I started in the airlines. I like the A20s more than the Zulu 2s, but I know some like Zulu 2s (or others) better. Depends on nugget shape.

• Thanks 1

Once in Mother Blue's employ you'll get issued a nice shiny new one that's compatible with military radios (single plug, civilian headsets have a dual) 

I’m thinking about getting more into general aviation soon. Anyone have any personal recommendations for mil-to-civ (single to dual plug) converters (if that’s even a thing). Issued Bose A20s.

24 minutes ago, Champ Kind said:

I’m thinking about getting more into general aviation soon. Anyone have any personal recommendations for mil-to-civ (single to dual plug) converters (if that’s even a thing). Issued Bose A20s.

You can either get the converter or you can call Bose and get a whole new cord or the headset. I did the later and it’s been nice. But I’ve know guys who did the former and they said it wasn’t a problem. 

I bought the David Clark H10-13.4 for my PPL training. It's the same one they use for SIMs here at UPT. I think its pretty durable and made well but won't break your wallet like a Bose headset. I wouldn't buy anything crazy expensive until you know for sure that you will be doing GA beyond a PPL. 

• Upvote 2

https://www.amazon.com/KORE-AVIATION-P1-Aviation-Headset/dp/B01CBJ29C4/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1523414589&sr=1-4&keywords=aviation+headset

https://www.amazon.com/KORE-AVIATION-Silicone-Replacement-Aviation/dp/B017ZMU20I/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1523415547&sr=1-1-fkmr0&keywords=ORE+AVIATION+Ultra+Plush+Silicone+Gel+Ear+Seal+Replacement+for+Pilot+Aviation+Headset

If you'd like to minimize what you spend on a headset that will easily get you through your PPL and beyond, consider this one from Kore. I have two of these for when I take passengers and have never had any complaints, and the price is hard to beat given the quality and reputation Kore continues to build. The Amazon reviews speak for themselves. The ear cups that come with them are okay, but I'd recommend the gel cups in the link above. 

With that said, I've worn the same set of DC H10-20s since 2003 and probably do about 30-40 hrs of GA flying each year and they're still going strong. They're comfortable and for GA flying, I actually prefer NOT having noise cancelling due to the fact I can hear subtle changes in power better. 

In my opinion, spending money on something along the lines of the A20 is overkill, unless you can afford it/think you'll use this headset for a long time or professionally down the road. I don't know what Herk guys fly with, but I believe KC-135 guys are issued A20s. C-17s still fly with DCs but hopefully they'll eventually get A20s down the road, so depending on if/when you get hired with a unit, you may get a pair anyway that you can buy the civilian adapter for.

Edited by CPE1704TKS
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

I bought my David Clark H10-30s 19 years ago, and they are still going strong. Don't get sucked into the gadgets. They are nice if you fly 500 hours a year, but a quality set of passive DCs will work great for your PPL and occasional GA flights down the road.

• Thanks 1

You guys have me convinced to look into some DC's. No point spending a ton if I won't see them for 2 years and will get handed something even better at a unit. I'll research the H10-30s and whatever else is out there (I have no clue which model is which). Thanks for the help everyone. Hope I can make good progress over the next few post-college years and give back.

I bought a converter for my DCs that works great for about $69 all said and done. Key is to get the mic adapter as well since it's a different impedance from the mil standard. 

It's not as nice as some of the higher end sets of course, but for my occasional GA flying with a <2.0 ASD it works fine and is a fraction of the cost. 

10 hours ago, jvlonardo said:

You guys have me convinced to look into some DC's.

David Clark keeps getting mentioned because they're a standard issue set that we all have. They're certainly worth the money on the open market, but not sure if they'd be my first choice if I was buying on my own. 

• Upvote 1

On 4/11/2018 at 11:24 PM, schokie said:

David Clark keeps getting mentioned because they're a standard issue set that we all have. They're certainly worth the money on the open market, but not sure if they'd be my first choice if I was buying on my own. 

I suppose its because they seem like a safe bet over the many lower-end brands out there.