ANG to AFRES Questions

Searched a bit but no good info on how the process works if someone wanted to transfer from an ANG unit to AFRES.

Been in the Guard a while but know almost nothing about AFRES. Location of the AFRES base and proximity to family is the motivating factor. Currently rated in a fighter and would be going to another fighter if it happened.

Is the process similar to getting hired in the guard? Are there any major drawbacks going to the reserves? Part time vs. Full time work better in one vs. the other?

• 3 weeks later...

Went ANG to AFRES. Biggest hurdle was getting the wing to get off their rear and finish processing the 1288. There was some other medical shenanigans needed by the AFRES that the ANG hadn't documented, but the AFRES recruiter handled it for me. 

Still needed to go through a recruiter, even though I had a gaining unit with a position number.

Disregard what I said above: I was thinking about the reverse transfer, ie AFRES to ANG.

What the reg says is in AFI 36-2005, 6.2.

Practically speaking, you'll need only a 1288, but then the medical folks will want you to have some kind of statement saying you're fit for further service. Traditionally, this was on a Form 422, but you'll have to ask the gaining medical people what they want or need, plus consult with the gaining recruiter. The gaining recruiter is who will help you with initiating the 1288, so after you have a promise of hire from the squadron, your next stop should be the recruiter that services that squadron's area. After that, you'll work with your losing and gaining MPF to help the 1288 along the way. No doubt they'll want all manner of documents from you.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

What are the odds, as a traditional, that a reservist gets picked for a 179 or 365 somewhere? Does that happen still? I remember reservists in the B-course at Luke getting these 1 off deployments, as opposed to the Guard where you only really deploy when your squadron goes.

I'm pretty ignorant to the whole deployment process for the reserves.

Edited by Kenny Powers

• 8 months later...

Adding to this thread and bringing it to the top.

If current unit stalls on the 1288 or does not want to sign it; is there a "Plan B"? Could one flat out separate from the ANG and come back into an AFRES/IMA job right away?

• 2 months later...

K Powers:

I've been in AFRC for a while after my 11 & change on AD. I've never heard of 179 or 365's being mandated by AFRC. Remember that you're the talent and they strongly prefer to keep you...especially all 11's which they're hemorrhaging. It's not like AD where there's always a replacement behind the guy that just fell out. Plenty of volunteer opportunities for 365's if that's your bag on VPC. Participating TR's (those that actually fly their scheduled lines and reschedule UTA's PRIOR to the UTA) walk on water...

...That said not all units in AFRC are created equal. I'm sure the same could be said for the Guard. 

-Wheeler Walker Jr.

• 2 weeks later...

Quick question about going the other way, AFRES to ANG. Does the state pay retirement or the AF? If I went to a guard unit and did at least 3 years for the aircraft transition, could I retire or would I have to do a lot more? If you retire from the guard as a traditional, are you basically an AFRES retiree? 

Quick question about going the other way, AFRES to ANG. Does the state pay retirement or the AF? If I went to a guard unit and did at least 3 years for the aircraft transition, could I retire or would I have to do a lot more? If you retire from the guard as a traditional, are you basically an AFRES retiree? 

As far as I know, 20 yrs of AD time is 20 yrs of AD time, regardless of where it’s accrued.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

Herkbum,

Thanks for responding, but I was referring to the traditional side of the house. Can you switch to a Guard unit and retire 3 years later after hitting 20. Do states mandate so many years in the unit before you can retire or is the Guard Bureau/AF paying the retirement? 

Herkbum,

Thanks for responding, but I was referring to the traditional side of the house. Can you switch to a Guard unit and retire 3 years later after hitting 20. Do states mandate so many years in the unit before you can retire or is the Guard Bureau/AF paying the retirement? 

I don’t see why not, but as all things ANG, it depends on the unit. I have not personally seen a mandate on how long you stay in a unit. If you’ve earned an AD retirement, then I don’t think anyone would get worked up over it.

For example, I just PCS’d to a new instate ANG unit. I have 20.5 yrs AD time, so I could retire tomorrow. But I came from an RPA unit, so currency is an issue. Going to a new FTU in December and will regain currency then, but I would also like to get some proficiency. Call me the oddball, but I still enjoy putting the uniform on every morning. I’m likely to hang around for a while, whether that’s as a full-timer or a DSG. When it’s no longer fun, I’m gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

• 2 weeks later...