Baseops Forums

On 2/13/2019 at 1:19 PM, fishandbike said:

Hello, so I just graduated, commissioned, got my pilot slot, passed flight physical, got my security clearance and am now waiting to EAD. I got two questions,

One: I am curious if by the time I go to UPT (presumably starting the summer of 2019) will I be able to track F-35/F-22 directly? Or will I still need to track something more common such as F-15 or F-16 first and then transfer down the road? I know it all depends on what is available for my class, but lets assume there are available F-35/22s... would those even come up as options for brand new UPT grads?

Two: n00b question sorry! Do I find out which airframe I fly before or after I am selected to track T38? Like when you finish on the T-6 do they say "Congrats, you are flying the F22! go hop in a T38 now" or do they say "Congrats, you've been assigned fighter, go hop in a T38 and we'll tell you which fighter you get after you are finished with the T38"?

Thanks in advance!

I'd focus on EADing first, if I were in your shoes.

Edited by Warriorboy16

On ‎2‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 12:19 AM, fishandbike said:

Hello, so I just graduated, commissioned, got my pilot slot, passed flight physical, got my security clearance and am now waiting to EAD. I got two questions,

One: I am curious if by the time I go to UPT (presumably starting the summer of 2019) will I be able to track F-35/F-22 directly? Or will I still need to track something more common such as F-15 or F-16 first and then transfer down the road? I know it all depends on what is available for my class, but lets assume there are available F-35/22s... would those even come up as options for brand new UPT grads?

Two: n00b question sorry! Do I find out which airframe I fly before or after I am selected to track T38? Like when you finish on the T-6 do they say "Congrats, you are flying the F22! go hop in a T38 now" or do they say "Congrats, you've been assigned fighter, go hop in a T38 and we'll tell you which fighter you get after you are finished with the T38"?

Thanks in advance!

Answers to both questions is NO. T-38's don't guarantee a fighter either. We have 5-7 T-38 grads in my AWACS squadron. Needs of the AF.

All you should care about is being a student pilot and learning to fly. It's good to have goals. But manage your expectations. No one flies solo, so being a good team player is the key to success. The instructors don't care how good of hands you have, if you taze your bros to better yourself, you'll be flying the furthest thing from a fighter if they don't wash you out for airmanship.

I want a 5th gen as well, but it's last on my priority list of what I want to get out of UPT. I'm just happy and thankful to have the opportunity to be there, period dot.

"Just Happy To Be Here".

• Upvote 1

Definitely focus on the nearest alligator, but I haven't heard of any 35's outside of ENJJPT yet, but there have been a few 22's out of standard UPT but they're unicornish.

Also, track select is just the track; you won't get your airframe assignment until the very end. For T1's you are guaranteed heavies only, for T38's you are able to get fighter/bomber, but you are eligible for literally every fixed wing in inventory if needed. If you really want them, bust your butt. It's probably safe to say all T38's will have it as their first choice on their dream sheet.

Edited by Rated2014

11 minutes ago, TeafChief said:

Out of curiosity, for those who aren’t going to Pueblo, has anyone received actual UPT class dates? 

I have not. Just my RNLTD for PCS. I called the squadron to see and they told me to expect a class around 30 days after arrival. That's for Vance.

• Like 1

I'm headed to Laughlin on 15 Oct! Does anyone know if we have to live in the dorms since we're older and already have furnishings and such? I'm not married so I could handle it I guess. 

Also, I know basically nothing about what to bring or where to get that info, for upt, ift, or even mfs. Like are we supposed to wear abus to the physical? Can you guys please help me out with this? Any info is appreciated. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LiterallyMaverick said:

I'm headed to Laughlin on 15 Oct! Does anyone know if we have to live in the dorms since we're older and already have furnishings and such? I'm not married so I could handle it I guess. 

Also, I know basically nothing about what to bring or where to get that info, for upt, ift, or even mfs. Like are we supposed to wear abus to the physical? Can you guys please help me out with this? Any info is appreciated. 

For MFS you are fine with ABU’s and for IFT and UFT you will need your flight suits before getting there.

13 hours ago, LiterallyMaverick said:

Go to Laughlin’s website, and there should be a newcomers guide for UPT. It’s pretty dated, but should still be somewhat accurate. At any rate, it should have the SDO extension; give that a call and they’ll help you with what you need