First off, congrats to all of those that were selected for the 2018 board! I know the MyPers release has not dropped yet, but I wanted to go ahead and put this thread up because last year one of the board members was nice enough to reach out and give us info early on here. Also, it lets everyone thinking of applying get a head start on asking questions. Best of luck to everyone, and I look forward to seeing the updates!

Edited by UPT_Hopeful

Not sure there's anyway to know that until the release drops, but I would speculate that that will be the case again. They ran into the problem of not being able to fill ABM and CSO slots two boards ago because not enough people ranked them, so by making you rank all of them, then they can fill all their slots. Who knows though? Maybe they'll change their mind. It does appear those slots are going to people with lower scores when you check out the stats on the portal. There also are far few of those slots than pilot, so it doesn't seem that likely you'd get them if you put in a little time to get a competitive package. The ones I know that have gotten those slots, are the ones that just wanted a career change and didn't really care what they got. 

20 hours ago, Salted_Butter said:

That's good news. I'm currently RPA trying for Pilot and didn't want to end up having to either choose CSO or ABM or not being able to apply again. Also don't have access to the Portal yet so its been a struggle to get information.

I guess there's good and bad news there for you. Last year rated applicants weren't required to rank ABM, so you wouldn't have to worry about that one atleast. The bad news... You said you don't have portal access? Does that mean you are new to AD and are in the RPA pipeline right now? If so, I believe you have to have 2.5 years post training to apply. That'll also in the board release when it drops though. 

3 hours ago, UPT_Hopeful said:

I guess there's good and bad news there for you. Last year rated applicants weren't required to rank ABM, so you wouldn't have to worry about that one atleast. The bad news... You said you don't have portal access? Does that mean you are new to AD and are in the RPA pipeline right now? If so, I believe you have to have 2.5 years post training to apply. That'll also in the board release when it drops though. 

So I commissioned last may but I don't go on Active Duty for another 2 weeks... Not on AD= no CAC = no Portal Access. So technically I am in the training pipeline but its just extremely backed up. As far as waiting post training goes I don't think that's true as far as i know. I've met 1 RPA guy that got picked up for UPT a little after he went to IFT.

On 4/13/2018 at 4:50 AM, Capt Ahab said:

Stats from 2018. To beat the average, I’d say you’d want to be over 80 PCSM still and getting your PPL doesn’t hurt. Also, really check out that thread from the year before for changes/consideration issues.

IMG_3562.JPG.2777299ef2b056821a6775ddf461a79a.JPG

Thanks for sharing the chart. I’ve been told that mid 80s on PCSM will increase the odds.

On 4/13/2018 at 12:15 AM, Salted_Butter said:

So I commissioned last may but I don't go on Active Duty for another 2 weeks... Not on AD= no CAC = no Portal Access. So technically I am in the training pipeline but its just extremely backed up. As far as waiting post training goes I don't think that's true as far as i know. I've met 1 RPA guy that got picked up for UPT a little after he went to IFT.

Once you have wings on your chest (RPA or otherwise), I believe the rule is to wait 2 years to apply, and 2.5 years to actually leave the career field. At least that's the way it was when I applied a couple years ago if I recall correctly. Good luck

Just had his happen to my buddy. They pulled a few guys from RPA as long as they did well at IFT and hadn’t started the next phase of training. Luck and timing.

On 4/12/2018 at 5:20 PM, Capt Ahab said:

Stats from 2018. To beat the average, I’d say you’d want to be over 80 PCSM still and getting your PPL doesn’t hurt. Also, really check out that thread from the year before for changes/consideration issues.

Do the people who run the board or whomever made this chart not know how to edit the y axis on an excel chart?  

Does whomever posted this have the full slide deck with the other rated options?

Found the full slide deck: https://www.my.af.mil/USAF/AFP40/d/s330D98A14DFE211B014E2178A7BD03FF/Files/editorial/UFT Statistics FY 14-18.pdf

And this is on the portal page: The UFT Board is tentatively scheduled to convene 14-16 Nov 18 with applications being due NLT 21 Sep 18. 

That is a few months earlier than this past year when applications were due in November and the board did not meet until January. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 6/5/2018 at 11:43 AM, Mortdude said:

So interesting news, went to finish up my FC1 physical and the doc said they reduced the eye requirement last week... So turns out I won't need a waiver for my PRK surgery. 

So the reduction means you don't have to get a waiver for eye surgery anymore? My physical is already submitted with a waiver for LASIK so I'm just wondering. 

1 hour ago, UPT_Hopeful said:

So the reduction means you don't have to get a waiver for eye surgery anymore? My physical is already submitted with a waiver for LASIK so I'm just wondering. 

According to my flight doc, as long as there were no complications and you pass the FC1 eye exam you don't need a waiver anymore for eye surgery

On 4/23/2018 at 11:42 AM, afguy123 said:

Found the full slide deck: https://www.my.af.mil/USAF/AFP40/d/s330D98A14DFE211B014E2178A7BD03FF/Files/editorial/UFT Statistics FY 14-18.pdf

And this is on the portal page: The UFT Board is tentatively scheduled to convene 14-16 Nov 18 with applications being due NLT 21 Sep 18. 

That is a few months earlier than this past year when applications were due in November and the board did not meet until January. 

This is only for current active duty officers? When is the board for enlisted or civilian folk?

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/10/2018 at 12:53 PM, Mortdude said:

According to my flight doc, as long as there were no complications and you pass the FC1 eye exam you don't need a waiver anymore for eye surgery

I can confirm that is definitely true. I submitted mine with a waiver a couple months ago, and it came back stating no waiver required. They are still requiring me to go to Wright-Pat though.

On 6/12/2018 at 10:23 PM, catsanddogs said:

This is only for current active duty officers? When is the board for enlisted or civilian folk?

Yes, this is for AD only. I would look for another thread for your question, not sure anyone here is going to be much help. I would guess you should be looking for OTS information though. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎4‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 3:20 AM, Capt Ahab said:

Do you know if these numbers are for only those selected for pilot, or for total applicants?

7 hours ago, Cavok said:

Do you know if these numbers are for only those selected for pilot, or for total applicants?

That graphic is the number of applicants selected for pilot from the board. 

On 4/23/2018 at 12:42 PM, afguy123 said:

Go to this link on the portal to get the full slide deck. It will give you that same info for RPA, ABM, and CSO all from the same boards. They only publish numbers selected, never the number that applied. They make the same generic post on their portal page though saying the numbers are around 200 total applicants. If you add each total up, and assume 200, you've got over a 50% shot at getting picked up for something.