6 hours ago, UPTApplicant 102 said:

Anyone know a process of an inter service transfer from AF to navy/army to try and fly?

Let us know if you hear anything on this.  I talked to a guy over on the AirWarriors forum who claimed to have been a prior non-rated AF officer and got a transfer to the Navy to fly.  Though maybe difficult it does seem possible.

1 hour ago, Tex232 said:

I too considered the Army route but I’m hesitant to do it if I have to become a warrant.  Really want to fly but I also don’t want to have to give up my full commission; if the Army would let me fly and stay commissioned I would jump on it in a heartbeat.

That being said, I’m leaning towards trying to get an inter-service transfer to either the Navy or Coast Guard, or if I can’t get a transfer approved then maybe just waiting till my service commitment w/the AF is up and getting a direct commission into one of those services.

I hear ya in the commission thing. Go talk to army bros that have commissions in aviation and I bet you 110% that they wish they were warrant officers. Warrants just fly and are technical experts. Officers fly as part time and try officering warrants the rest of the time along with flying a desk. I started my aviation career as a warrant. After a few years I went commissioned because my unit was in need of it. Worst decision I’ve ever meet. 

If you just want to fly and focus on being an aviator, go warrant. The money will be about the same. Believe me when I say a W5 has more pull than an O3 or O4 as far as how to fly or execute missions. I know, it sounds crazy but army aviation is hard to comprehend at first. 

If you are really married to your commission and feel like you would be less of a soldier without it, I am sure a guard unit will take you as is. I had a few army bros in South Carolina that were AMB In the Air Force. Couldn’t get a flight slot because of age with big blue. Came to the guard and traded the O3 for a W2 Apache slot. Those bros seem pretty happy flying guns. 

I have the contact for South Carolina guard flight school recruiting if any of you bros are interested.

cheers 

18 minutes ago, Uptapplicant2019 said:

Looking for some info about IFT... I see day one has a fitness test, anyone know it’s its just the standard Air Force test? Making sure I run enough to not suck ass at altitude.

also any recs on what to bring? 

They did away with the PT test; but you’ll still have to do PT and log your hours there. Recommend bringing a knee-board. 

• Upvote 2

On 4/15/2019 at 10:49 AM, jonlbs said:

Its definitely shitty as hell and I’ve been there and feel your pain. But by the looks of it you have a real decent foot to stand on (You did pass the standards). Go check out the ETP thread and see if applying to AFMSA (medical) for a waiver works for your case. They are the other medical approval authority besides AETC. Gonna take a lot of emails and lots of persistence though, cause people are gonna just want you to give up and quit.

Shoot me a message if you want to pursue the ETP route at the same time and I can pass along all the info I have accumulated.

Also what is your current situation military wise? Active, rotc, guard/reserve, civilian?

Jon, which ETP thread are you referring to? Any chance you can send me your ETP stuff so I check it out? What is AFMSA and how can it override an AETC/SG DQ?

6 minutes ago, CaptD said:

Jon, which ETP thread are you referring to? Any chance you can send me your ETP stuff so I check it out? What is AFMSA and how can it override an AETC/SG DQ?

ETP Thread

And AFMSA is Air Force Medical Support Agency. ETP thread goes over some of the details and I'm not exactly sure what they do (maybe advise the air force on medical stuff?). If you dig around into the waiver authority AFI's when I last looked they are an approving authority and can therefor approve your waiver. Wouldn't call it overriding but you would end up approved so. I'd read up on the thread in detail as there is lots of good info, though some of it is outdated, most probably still stands.

7 hours ago, Uptapplicant2019 said:

No one, go to flight med and tell them you need a FC1 and they’ll schedule you. At least that’s how it went for me

Not working for me right now. Flight med at my base are telling me they need a letter from my CC and an AFPC email before they can start.

That’s complete BS. Everyone here basically went to their own flight med and said “hey I’m applying for this board and it requires me to get a physical”. The push back seems unheard of. 

Where are you stationed? I bet someone in this thread from your base has already done this and can get you with the right people. 

Edited by TeafChief

3 hours ago, Bob Uecker said:

Not working for me right now. Flight med at my base are telling me they need a letter from my CC and an AFPC email before they can start.

Yea this is B.S. you don't need to provide anything to start your FC1. I did two at two different bases and the process was the same both times. Just call or walk in and schedule the appointment. Easy. 

I got a lot of push back, and I had to give them a bunch of shit in order for them to start mine. It was pain in the ass, but they absolutely wouldn't budge. I ended up getting an MFR from my O6 pretty much saying:

"I support the Lt in applying for cross training into a rated career field. You don't need anything from AFPC to start the process. Please schedule the necessary flight physical for his application package. If there are any questions, contact me directly at (123)-456-7890."

On 4/18/2019 at 8:29 AM, Bob Uecker said:

Have you showed them the PSDM that says you need a certified IFC to submit a package?  I got pushback from my flight med clinic but showed the verbiage in the PSDM and that was enough to get it scheduled.

Hi all, just an update for my issue before, I called back flight med, and was able to get it pushed through, which is great because my physical isn’t till next month. Thanks for the help!

Also, PSDM is to be released in the next few days. Board is 24-26 Sept, applications due 12 August. Probably start a new thread once the PSDM drops.

6 hours ago, Bob Uecker said:

Hi all, just an update for my issue before, I called back flight med, and was able to get it pushed through, which is great because my physical isn’t till next month. Thanks for the help!

Also, PSDM is to be released in the next few days. Board is 24-26 Sept, applications due 12 August. Probably start a new thread once the PSDM drops.

Damn, that's a real short turn around compared to previous years.  Think they're going to push it all back again?

9 minutes ago, LiterallyMaverick said:

Hey do you guys know if we need to bring blues to IFT? I heard from somewhere that we don't get to wear flight suits at first and have to wear blues instead. Is that true, or do we just show up with only flight suits? 

I called them direct to ask bc I heard the same thing, but blues aren't on the reporting instructions.

Major who answered the phone said not to bring blues, flight suits only.

11 minutes ago, Uptapplicant2019 said:

I called them direct to ask bc I heard the same thing, but blues aren't on the reporting instructions.

Major who answered the phone said not to bring blues, flight suits only.

This is correct. Follow the reporting instructions on the Doss website, it’s accurate. Only significant change was the removal of the PT test upon arrival. You’ll do PT, but there is no longer an official test on day 1. 

2 hours ago, UPTApplicant 102 said:

I’m not sure they can push it back if it’s an FY19 board because FY19 ends 31 Sept

They've said it's the FY20 board filling slots for CY20, just going to be held in FY19.  That's on their Portal UFT page.