11 minutes ago, TeafChief said:

Out of curiosity, for those who aren’t going to Pueblo, has anyone received actual UPT class dates? 

I have not. Just my RNLTD for PCS. I called the squadron to see and they told me to expect a class around 30 days after arrival. That's for Vance.

• Like 1

I'm headed to Laughlin on 15 Oct! Does anyone know if we have to live in the dorms since we're older and already have furnishings and such? I'm not married so I could handle it I guess. 

Also, I know basically nothing about what to bring or where to get that info, for upt, ift, or even mfs. Like are we supposed to wear abus to the physical? Can you guys please help me out with this? Any info is appreciated. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LiterallyMaverick said:

I'm headed to Laughlin on 15 Oct! Does anyone know if we have to live in the dorms since we're older and already have furnishings and such? I'm not married so I could handle it I guess. 

Also, I know basically nothing about what to bring or where to get that info, for upt, ift, or even mfs. Like are we supposed to wear abus to the physical? Can you guys please help me out with this? Any info is appreciated. 

For MFS you are fine with ABU’s and for IFT and UFT you will need your flight suits before getting there.

13 hours ago, LiterallyMaverick said:

Go to Laughlin’s website, and there should be a newcomers guide for UPT. It’s pretty dated, but should still be somewhat accurate. At any rate, it should have the SDO extension; give that a call and they’ll help you with what you need

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Bob Uecker said:

Has anyone here know of or tried a waiver for declining rated in AFROTC? I declined a URT slot in AFROTC for non-rated, and want to get on this next board.

Check last cycle's PSDM on myPers.  You need an ETP to reapply since you denied a slot previously.  From the PSDM, it might be difficult to get that.  Buuuuutttt they're also short a couple hundred this fiscal year so it might pan out in your favor.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, WannaFly2019 said:

Check last cycle's PSDM on myPers.  You need an ETP to reapply since you denied a slot previously.  From the PSDM, it might be difficult to get that.  Buuuuutttt they're also short a couple hundred this fiscal year so it might pan out in your favor.

Thanks! Ive checked out the PSDM and the AFI on it, the ETP process looks simple enough. I think I have a better chance as in my counseling with my old det/cc, it was written that I was only being disqualified from rated consideration in AFROTC. I still have the signed counseling form. He repeatedly assured me that it wouldn’t effect my AD rated attempts, but look where we are now.

Edited by Bob Uecker

7 hours ago, Bob Uecker said:

Has anyone here know of or tried a waiver for declining rated in AFROTC? I declined a URT slot in AFROTC for non-rated, and want to get on this next board.

I would recommend reaching out to the rated board and asking. I declined URT on a supplemental board in AFROTC and the board said they had no record of that and I was good to apply without an ETP. 

• Upvote 1

On 3/13/2019 at 4:00 PM, MC2112 said:

I would recommend reaching out to the rated board and asking. I declined URT on a supplemental board in AFROTC and the board said they had no record of that and I was good to apply without an ETP. 

Same situation here. I’ll do that in the morning, and let you all know. Thanks for the heads up!

edit: board member says they don’t save that record from academy/rotc

Edited by Bob Uecker

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Bob Uecker said:

A comment on last years UFT portal page says the FY20 board will be held in September.

This is a true statement.  I got notification from the workflow org box that the PSDM should be dropping soon (this was 3 weeks ago) and that the board is 24-26 Sept.

As a disclosure, I've searched through this entire thread but couldn't find the answer.  I'm a current ANG enlisted member who's interviewed at only 2 guard units so far.

How does the AD selection work?  Do applicants actually interview with the board?  It seems as if candidates are chosen based on the package?

7 hours ago, Ligma said:

As a disclosure, I've searched through this entire thread but couldn't find the answer.  I'm a current ANG enlisted member who's interviewed at only 2 guard units so far.

How does the AD selection work?  Do applicants actually interview with the board?  It seems as if candidates are chosen based on the package?

Completely packaged based for AD boards, no interviews

• Thanks 1

As I was headed to the airport on Thursday I was called by the MFS and was told that my TDY was cancelled and that I no longer am allowed to attend. They said since I took the color vision test as a cadet back in '13 and scored below the minimum that they're disqualifying my flight class I physical, even though I scored above the mins in '15 and '18. Looks like my pilot career is killed (again) thanks to medical.

1 hour ago, CaptD said:

As I was headed to the airport on Thursday I was called by the MFS and was told that my TDY was cancelled and that I no longer am allowed to attend. They said since I took the color vision test as a cadet back in '13 and scored below the minimum that they're disqualifying my flight class I physical, even though I scored above the mins in '15 and '18. Looks like my pilot career is killed (again) thanks to medical.

I'm no expert on Color Vision stuff, but if you passed in 2015 and 2018 I'm going to assume you got a fighting chance. If you really want it DO NOT GIVE UP. Where there is a will, there is a way and the people on this forum will do their best to help you achieve it. So since you aren't quitting, what is your next step from here?

Edited by jonlbs

2 hours ago, CaptD said:

Got a couple of messages so far, so I figured I'd give more insight. When I went to MFS as a cadet in '13 I scored a 50 on one eye for green on the color vision test (min back then was 75). The next day I had to take a slew of other color vision tests so they can build an argument saying I have a deficiency and "too much of a risk" to be a pilot and was DQ'd. Back in '15 I took a Flight Class III physical because I was competing to go combat, I scored a 65 on the test (min was still 75 back then) and got rejected again. Last year they changed the min score from 75 to 55, so I reapplied for pilot and scored a 60 when I did my FCI last Sept. As I was headed to the airport last Tuesday, MFS called me and said that because I scored a 50 back in '13 that's it disqualifies my passing FCI physical even though I scored above the 55 threshold in '15 and '18. The doc that called me told me since there's 2000 pilot applicants in the same pool they're not going to take the risk on one candidate with a medical issue.

There's no fighting with medical, they're the approval authority and waiver authority. I went down that road when I was a cadet/2dLt.  The only option I see is an exception to policy (ETP). Seriously, f*** medical.

Edited by CaptD

38 minutes ago, CaptD said:

Got a couple of messages so far so I figured I give more insight. When I went to MFS as a cadet in '13 I scored a 50 on one eye for green on the color vision test (min back then was 75). The next day I had to take a slew of other color vision tests so they can build an argument saying I have a deficiency and "too much of a risk" to be a pilot and was DQ'd. Back in '15 I took a Flight Class III physical because I was competing to go combat, I scored a 65 on the test (min was still 75 back then) and got rejected again. Last year they changed the min score from 75 to 55, so I reapplied for pilot and scored a 60 when I did my FCI last Sept. As I was headed to the airport last Tuesday, MFS called me and said that because I scored a 50 back in '13 that's it disqualifies my passing FCI physical even though I scored above the 55 threshold in '15 and '18. The doc that called me told me since there's 2000 pilot applicants in the same pool they're not going to take the risk on one candidate with a medical issue.

There's no fighting with medical, they're the approval authority and waiver authority. I went down that road when I was a cadet/2dLt.  The only option I see is an exception to policy (ETP). Seriously, f*** medical.

Its definitely shitty as hell and I’ve been there and feel your pain. But by the looks of it you have a real decent foot to stand on (You did pass the standards). Go check out the ETP thread and see if applying to AFMSA (medical) for a waiver works for your case. They are the other medical approval authority besides AETC. Gonna take a lot of emails and lots of persistence though, cause people are gonna just want you to give up and quit.

Shoot me a message if you want to pursue the ETP route at the same time and I can pass along all the info I have accumulated.

Also what is your current situation military wise? Active, rotc, guard/reserve, civilian?

Edited by jonlbs

Sucks to hear about the DNIF.

I am a bastard from another branch (Army Chinooks). I was hired by an ANG unit a few months ago. Currently waiting on school dates.

While I was at the Chinook course in 2013, there was a guy in my class (mid 30s) that had a similar issue. Tried to get a medical ETP, even got a congressman involved. At the end, he got tired of fighting and come to the Army as a warrant officer. If you goal is to be a pilot, know that there are other options available. The Army will take you in a heard beat. You will probably not get to use a hotel rewards card in the army, and the only nice places you'll ever get to see fall along the lines of Iraq or Afghanistan. Also forget about a pickle suit, Army leadership goes above and beyond to make your feel like you are not a pilot.

With that being said, if you goal is to be a pilot and fly, know that there are alternatives available.

Good Luck!

1 hour ago, CharlieHotel47 said:

Sucks to hear about the DNIF.

I am a bastard from another branch (Army Chinooks). I was hired by an ANG unit a few months ago. Currently waiting on school dates.

While I was at the Chinook course in 2013, there was a guy in my class (mid 30s) that had a similar issue. Tried to get a medical ETP, even got a congressman involved. At the end, he got tired of fighting and come to the Army as a warrant officer. If you goal is to be a pilot, know that there are other options available. The Army will take you in a heard beat. You will probably not get to use a hotel rewards card in the army, and the only nice places you'll ever get to see fall along the lines of Iraq or Afghanistan. Also forget about a pickle suit, Army leadership goes above and beyond to make your feel like you are not a pilot.

With that being said, if you goal is to be a pilot and fly, know that there are alternatives available.

Good Luck!

Anyone know a process of an inter service transfer from AF to navy/army to try and fly?

3 hours ago, UPTApplicant 102 said:

Anyone know a process of an inter service transfer from AF to navy/army to try and fly?

Are you interested in active duty? Would you be interested in NG or Reserves? NG & Reserves are not bad gigs and its not a weekend warrior thing. It the Chinook and Apache world, you fly so much to maintain minimums that it makes it impossible to have a full time civilian job. Most bros that I know are full time tech and AGR. I could give you some contact for NG units hiring pilots. Not sure how to attack the Active duty route.

7 hours ago, CharlieHotel47 said:

At the end, he got tired of fighting and come to the Army as a warrant officer. If you goal is to be a pilot, know that there are other options available. The Army will take you in a heard beat.

I too considered the Army route but I’m hesitant to do it if I have to become a warrant.  Really want to fly but I also don’t want to have to give up my full commission; if the Army would let me fly and stay commissioned I would jump on it in a heartbeat.

That being said, I’m leaning towards trying to get an inter-service transfer to either the Navy or Coast Guard, or if I can’t get a transfer approved then maybe just waiting till my service commitment w/the AF is up and getting a direct commission into one of those services.