8 minutes ago, Sit On Acorns said:

Twenty PCSM? 

Ya, you never know... They've had a CSO with a 1 PCSM. It's possible. I think it shows they really do look at the whole person, but the things that you can control like your PCSM and PPL can help boost you. I know someone picked up with a 65, no PPL last year. I was trying to tell him to wait a year and boost his score to make sure he'd get a pilot slot over one of the others. I was clearly wrong. He walked away with the pilot slot. Then there are people with PPLs getting passed over if you look at last year's thread.

I will say that one take away from last year's board that I see. Is reading through the old thread and seeing those that got picked up, I think Big Blue is sending a pretty clear message. That is that they want as fresh of bodies as possible to retain in the long run. It looks like the less time in service you have, it may give you a better shot. 

9 minutes ago, UPT_Hopeful said:

I was trying to tell him to wait a year and boost his score to make sure he'd get a pilot slot over one of the others. 

Is there a limited amount of times you can apply? Why wouldn't one just keep applying each year while improving their application year to year?

1 minute ago, Sit On Acorns said:

Is there a limited amount of times you can apply? Why wouldn't one just keep applying each year while improving their application year to year?

You can apply three times, but you must rank all jobs you are medically qualified for each time. If selected for any slot and you reject that selection, then you cannot reapply for the UFT board. If you're asking about my reasoning for waiting, that is because had he been picked up for CSO instead of pilot, he would have had to take it or stay his original AFSC. All of this information is in the board release by the way. If you haven't read it, I would highly recommend you do. 

Does anyone know how they look at the letter of recommendation?  Talking with a few people who applied last year, some said that all that mattered was the rank of the person who signed it (the bigger the better), but others think it is important to get a pilot or at least an aviator to sign it.  None of us got picked up though.  My installation commander is an army 2 star with no flying experience, but my commander is a CSO weapons officer OR should I try for a senator/congressman to see if they do that sort of thing.

I'm currently an EWO and will need a TFCS waiver, but I feel my package is pretty competitive.  99 Pilot AFOQT, 89 PCSM, a couple good strats, no PPL though.  The letter that is making my scratch my head, I was wondering if you guys had any thoughts.  Is rank/status the only thing that matters or is experience more important?

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, UPTDreamer said:

With a little over a month and a half till deadline. Has anyone heard any rumors on how many they are picking up this year and why the board was moved up really early this year? 

Full disclosure, I have absolutely 0 insider knowledge, this is purely a personal guess... I would speculate the board was moved up because we are expected to have the 2019 NDAA signed into law on time for the first time in two decades (potentially tomorrow). Traditionally, the AF hasn't known it's FY budget until months into the FY which has made it difficult to figure out how many selects can be picked up. I'd imagine that's why it has been in January/February. Last year's board hinted that the budgets had influence when the release for last year's was actually postponed after the budget NDAA announcement came out, and we saw an increase in selects. As far as number of selectees, I would imagine it would be similar to last year or maybe a little more. That is speculation based on the fact that the pool of applicants will probably be smaller this year with the boards moving up (therefore the same number of selects would mean a higher overall selection rate), and the fact that the AF has publicly stated they are increasing pilot production by 200 more pilots a year going forward. Once again though, this is all my own personal opinion on the question you asked. Best of luck to you, if you're submitting this year!

5 hours ago, UPTDreamer said:

With a little over a month and a half till deadline. Has anyone heard any rumors on how many they are picking up this year and why the board was moved up really early this year? 

I have heard anything one way or another, but I have had several friends in non-rated AFSCs be approached by their commanders about applying.  Taskers came down having commanders talk to CGOs about applying, per what my friend said.  If I had to make an educated guess with that info I would assume some kind on increase over last year.  

• 2 weeks later...

Do we have anybody here that can share their experience with age and TFCSD waivers? I did not get the UPT endorsement from the wg/cc this year, but I will re-apply again FY20. I believe I am fully qualified for UPT this year (non-rated) but going up with mostly rated guys so that’s that. I got all endorsements from unit cc to deployment commander, but for some reason I did not get it from the wing. Weird but eh, I will re-apply next year. Note, the wing held interviews with the applicants and evaluated their nominations to the boards.

Edited by flat4power

From the PSDM, officially its a TFCSD waiver that's needed (versus the TAFCSD).  Lame I know but for ROTC folks, those are two different dates.  Just thought I'd throw that out there.  Did you receive any feedback why you weren't endorsed?  Working on a TFCSD waiver myself, got the wing/cc endorsement but not sure how often the MAJCOM or HAF level A1 disapproves them.  If anyone has experience with that, it would be sweet.

I’m applying for RPAs only (all I’m medically qualified for) and need a TAFCS waiver.  My package got endorsed by the wing/cc last week and is headed to the MAJCOM for waiver endorsement.  I’m in a small non-flying wing and will be the wing’s only UFT applicant unless someone else comes out of the woodwork in the next month.  Did you ask for feedback regarding the non-endorsement?

28 minutes ago, MSCguy said:

I’m applying for RPAs only (all I’m medically qualified for) and need a TAFCS waiver.  My package got endorsed by the wing/cc last week and is headed to the MAJCOM for waiver endorsement.  I’m in a small non-flying wing and will be the wing’s only UFT applicant unless someone else comes out of the woodwork in the next month.  Did you ask for feedback regarding the non-endorsement?

Good luck dude! I’m setting up a teleconference with him this week as I’m currently deployed. I will found out the feedback then. I had competitive score too.  My best guess is critical manning issues within my unit so he wants me to stay a bit longer. Just my best guess.  

On 8/13/2018 at 5:22 AM, Mr.Elephant said:

From the PSDM, officially its a TFCSD waiver that's needed (versus the TAFCSD).  Lame I know but for ROTC folks, those are two different dates.  Just thought I'd throw that out there.  Did you receive any feedback why you weren't endorsed?  Working on a TFCSD waiver myself, got the wing/cc endorsement but not sure how often the MAJCOM or HAF level A1 disapproves them.  If anyone has experience with that, it would be sweet.

On 8/13/2018 at 5:22 AM, Mr.Elephant said:

TFCSD corrected.  I’m gettting the feedback this week.  From what I have read and heard, ETPs are not hard to get approved these days. 

Update: As of two days ago, my package is going to be sent to the boards after all after some misunderstanding of the PSDM guidelines.

Goodluck to everyone!

Edited by flat4power

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

AFPC just announced a blanket ETP for this year’s UFT board.  Pilot, CSO, and ABM applicants up to the age of 33 and all applicants under 8 years TAFCS can apply now without having to route an age or TAFCS ETP.

I just sent my package in (RPAs only) as I don’t need that TAFCS ETP now.  Good luck to everyone and hope to see you at IFT soon!

2 hours ago, MSCguy said:

AFPC just announced a blanket ETP for this year’s UFT board.  Pilot, CSO, and ABM applicants up to the age of 33 and all applicants under 8 years TAFCS can apply now without having to route an age or TAFCS ETP.

I just sent my package in (RPAs only) as I don’t need that TAFCS ETP now.  Good luck to everyone and hope to see you at IFT soon!

I just saw that as well.  Do you know if the Guard will be following suit?

Edited by JustHangingOut

53 minutes ago, JustHangingOut said:

I don’t know for sure but traditionally AD has always been more uptight on age waivers, etc.  than the guard.  I’ve been following this stuff for about a decade now and this is a first for Air staff to grant a blanket waiver for age and TAFCS.

5 hours ago, JustHangingOut said:

I contacted one of the ANG unit (I forgot which one actually, lol), but when I talked to their Lt, he said that it depends on the commander whether they are going to accept age waivers or not.  Regardless, he told me to send an app in.  It won't hurt asking the unit you're interested in.

And what?! Up to 33 years of age and 8 years of TFCSD.  That's gucci!

Goodluck to everyone!  Also, I am scheduled for my PPL checkride in November.  I wonder if they will still accept AF215 updates then since they moved the app deadline to the right.

Damn between this and pushing the due date back until Oct 26 seems like they are really looking for a lot of applicants this year.  Hopefully good news for all!

With the board scheduled for the second week in November, I'm assuming the Nov 2(?) date to update will remain the same.  Although as I race to finish my PPL a slight bump to the right would certainly be nice.

2 hours ago, flat4power said:

I contacted one of the ANG unit (I forgot which one actually, lol), but when I talked to their Lt, he said that it depends on the commander whether they are going to accept age waivers or not.  Regardless, he told me to send an app in.  It won't hurt asking the unit you're interested in.

Goodluck to everyone!  Also, I am scheduled for my PPL checkride in November.  I wonder if they will still accept AF215 updates then since they moved the app deadline to the right.

Thanks!  I’ve already been hired and the unit is working an ETP.  I’m just hoping to not have a 6 month wait for it to process

On 9/18/2018 at 7:23 PM, flat4power said:

Hopefully good news for everyone that applies! 

If you accomplish your PPL prior to the board meeting you can send  it in separately. The board meeting deadline is usually hard set 

On 9/20/2018 at 12:12 PM, UPTDreamer said:

Hopefully good news for everyone that applies! 

If you accomplish your PPL prior to the board meeting you can send  it in separately. The board meeting deadline is usually hard set 

Sounds good. I have been deployed and just recent got back (on R&R) so I miss the breaking news on the blanket age waivers.  Of note, given the budget this FY from the NDAA, we are surely building our services.  

• 3 weeks later...

Can anyone give me an honest idea of what my chances are to get picked up on this board? I have a 77 Pilot 75 PCSM and no Ppl. Currently working on the ppl but it won’t make it in time to the board. The thing is I’m an oddball applicant. Without getting into too much detail, I am rated by the AF as an RPA pilot and have flown a decent amount of hours in RPAs, I also have some very good recommendations from a couple of Majors. Can someone offer some insight? 

Edited by BK-Iron