MEPS Briefing Form for OTS Applicant (Oath/Contract)

Rycast

Question

Hey everyone, I'm applying active duty for the 2nd time. My first time was pilot only. I'm on the fence about whether to apply for all officer positions or pilot only again. My recruiter is really pushing for me to apply for all officer positions. I'm not sure I want to.

Anyway, I have to redo my medical at MEPS and she has a new form for me to sign before I get there. It says, "I understand that I am going to the MEPS to join the Active Duty Air Force, take the oath of enlistment, sign a contract and I will enter the Air Force Delayed Entry Program (DEP)."

I never had to sign a contract or take the oath of enlistment while at MEPS last time I applied for a commission. I asked her about this and she says "this only applies to enlisted applicants." If that's the case, why am I signing this? I'm paranoid about signing things after having been ripped off in the past, so if anyone can ease my mind about this, I'd appreciate it.

Thank you.

3 answers to this question

I've gotta have this signed (or not) by tomorrow, can anyone provide a yes or no if they had to sign something like this for an officer commission?

It looks to me like if I sign this, I could be legally held at MEPS until I accept an enlistment contract and take an oath.

See attached doc: MEPS Brief (Group).pdf

It's just strange to me that I didn't sign anything like this before.

I didn't go quite the same path as you, but I definitely had to swear in as enlisted before going to OTS. You'll probably be fine, the Air Force isn't so hard up for personnel that they're pulling the old switcheroo on officer applicants.

You definitely don't have to swear in to DEP just to apply for the OTS boards. You do it after you're selected, and then swear in once more (this time to Extended Active Duty) just before leaving for OTS. That said, swearing in to DEP doesn't obligate you to anything and you can be discharged per your own request (per AFRSI 36-2001 paragraph 2.40.1.6.), so if you're worried about your recruiter blowing you off for pushing back and you just want to get the ball rolling, it's probably not going to hurt anything to go ahead and sign. Chances are that once you get to MEPS for your physical, the Air Force personnel there will know what you're there for and they're not going to go try to make you randomly swear in for something you haven't been selected for yet (i.e. there won't even be a contract for you yet).

Edited by mb1685