ADSC Waiver to Retire

Bode

So I know there is an entire thread on ADSC waivers associated w/ PC. Does anyone have any data points on waivers for retiring.

I currently have 1 ADSC for the GI bill which takes me 6 months passed the period at which I am eligible to retire. Looking for any information on probably, or not, if getting a waiver to retire earlier.

Thanks.

Bode

Is it possible to separate/retire before the GI Bill transfer ADSC is up?  It seems to me that you’d just be giving up the GI Bill benefits in that case since you didn’t fulfill the transfer ADSC. Asking for a friend. 

Herk is correct. I’m in process of retiring and can corroborate. The obvious question is why did you take the three year gi bill adsc if you wanted to retire ASAP? 

Damn good question I don’t have a great answer to.

6 hours ago, Runr6730 said:

Is it possible to separate/retire before the GI Bill transfer ADSC is up?  It seems to me that you’d just be giving up the GI Bill benefits in that case since you didn’t fulfill the transfer ADSC. Asking for a friend. 

Anything is possible but I haven't seen these approved.  

4 hours ago, HU&W said:

Good topic.  Which ADSCs are waiverable if you're eligible to retire?  Promotion?  PCS?  IDE/SDE?

SecAF is the authority for ADSC waivers.

Situations where chances are high: Asking for less than 12 months, ADSC gave you no 'benefit' (i.e. bonus, education benefits), AFSC is overmanned, etc.  

Situations where chance are slim to zero: Basically the opposite of the above.

Generally no ADSC for promotion, although TIG requirements won't usually be waived to retain your grade. 

PCS ADSC's under 12 months are usually good to go.

IDE/SDE tougher.

GI Bill, AvB, etc. probably won't happen. 

• 2 months later...

How does one apply? I have a PCS ADSC that ends 7 months after retirement eligibility.  Can I apply to retire and then work the ADSC waiver? I'd effectively be pushing the button 19 months out from the PCS ADSC and 12 months prior to retirement elegibility.

Edited by Tonka
clarifying words

I don't get why the ADSC for this starts on the day you "transfer" and not retroactively to when you first became eligible.  If I was eligible to transfer x years ago, but didn't, why should I have to serve 4 more years just because I didn't do paperwork online?  What a boondoggle. We should either be given benefits or not based on years of service, not when we "elected" to transfer. You don't have to "Opt in" to retirement at 10 years, and then if you miss the sweet spot have to serve a total of 21 or 22 years to get the benefit.

1 hour ago, juacey said:

I don't get why the ADSC for this starts on the day you "transfer" and not retroactively to when you first became eligible.  If I was eligible to transfer x years ago, but didn't, why should I have to serve 4 more years just because I didn't do paperwork online?  What a boondoggle. We should either be given benefits or not based on years of service, not when we "elected" to transfer. You don't have to "Opt in" to retirement at 10 years, and then if you miss the sweet spot have to serve a total of 21 or 22 years to get the benefit.

Because it's a retention tool and quid pro quo not a free benefit.

• 10 months later...

Anyone still monitoring this post that could shed some light on an ADSC waiver of 10 months for SDE?  I think I have an above average “benefit of the AF” argument but if AFPC isn’t even entertaining these waivers I won’t bore the crowd.

I was recently denied for a 2 month waiver... I tried "benefit of the AF" and hardship.  Long story but fell right in line with "deploy or get out" and I can't deploy for various reasons.  It's a clown show, with a TSgt making the call and he could care less what some policy outside of his regs says.

Was this an SDE ADSC?  Were you tasked to deploy before applying for retirement?  Did your CC support?  Any details would be helpful, please share the long story if possible.  I am currently a SQ/CC, I should change out summer 2020 and would deny any assignment as I would not have the needed retainability. I would end up just hanging around the base for six months or so with out a real job.

21 hours ago, AFguy said:

Was this an SDE ADSC?  Were you tasked to deploy before applying for retirement?  Did your CC support?  Any details would be helpful, please share the long story if possible.  I am currently a SQ/CC, I should change out summer 2020 and would deny any assignment as I would not have the needed retainability. I would end up just hanging around the base for six months or so with out a real job.

former Sq/CC as well... PCS ADSC, no tasking, CC supported...The stupid form on MyPers doesn't allow much room to do any explaining, it is limited to a very small number of characters... not nearly enough to explain your reasons.  I'm medically non-deployable and thought I was doing good by not being that "guy" that collects the benefits and can't pay the dues... and since I won't be able to fly I was looking to enter into training/school to give me a better skill.  Who would have thought 2 months out of 20.5 years would be so important, apparently there is a pilot shortage and even keeping pilots that can't fly "counts"!