Chances on Finding Unit

A little bit about me. I have always wanted to join the Reserves or ANG as a pilot. Growing up i never thought it to be possible since i was trying to chase after a career in architecture. Well after some conversation with a friend of mine from high school who is a C-5 pilot and a flight instructor for the Air Force he told me i still have a chance. Currently i am in the process of taking may ARE exams to become a licensed architect while doing all necessary items to obtain a flying position with the Reserves or ANG as a C-17 or C-130 pilot. 

I would like advice on how to increase my chances for such a position in a competitive market even with a pilot shortage. I feel i am also at a huge disadvantage because i am going up against guys who are enlisted or comissioned and chasing after positions within their squadrons. I was told to try to rush squadrons but feel that it doesn't really work nor do i know best practices/where to start with that. 

I am 28 and will turn 29 during the summer, i have about 22 hours towards my PPL while trying to budget to finish it. Its just hard to spend so much money on a "possibility" thats not guaranteed and its also hard to explain that to the wife when finances are tight due to the recent move and purchase of a condo. I have heard of individuals being picked up of the street in my similar situation so i feel there is hope. I just need to know what to do to market myself as far as experience, leadership, work ethic and whatever else that's appealing to a pilot candidate for the Air Force. Also I will be retaking my AFOQT/TBAS tests within the next couple of months for better scores. 

I have had a whirlwind of a time dealing with recruiters and testing controllers. Recruiters tell me that they will not do anything to help me until i get my PPL, and how adornment they are about civilians not being picked up unless they have a ppl, and test controllers tell me i need to go through recruiters. Fortunately i found a test controller who is willing to help me achieve my dream. This guy has gone above and beyond to help me when others have not. I relocated to Nashville TN from columbus Ohio, and when i am ready to retake my test, i will make the 6 hour road trip to test with him seeing as how there are time frames of testing in the Nashville area for their cadets. All applications that i have submitted have been without a recruiter by my side guiding me on what to do.

Any advice on how to increase my chances of trying to chase after a dream is greatly appreciated.

A little bit about me. I have always wanted to join the Reserves or ANG as a pilot. Growing up i never thought it to be possible since i was trying to chase after a career in architecture. Well after some conversation with a friend of mine from high school who is a C-5 pilot and a flight instructor for the Air Force he told me i still have a chance. Currently i am in the process of taking may ARE exams to become a licensed architect while doing all necessary items to obtain a flying position with the Reserves or ANG as a C-17 or C-130 pilot. 
I would like advice on how to increase my chances for such a position in a competitive market even with a pilot shortage. I feel i am also at a huge disadvantage because i am going up against guys who are enlisted or comissioned and chasing after positions within their squadrons. I was told to try to rush squadrons but feel that it doesn't really work nor do i know best practices/where to start with that. 
I am 28 and will turn 29 during the summer, i have about 22 hours towards my PPL while trying to budget to finish it. Its just hard to spend so much money on a "possibility" thats not guaranteed and its also hard to explain that to the wife when finances are tight due to the recent move and purchase of a condo. I have heard of individuals being picked up of the street in my similar situation so i feel there is hope. I just need to know what to do to market myself as far as experience, leadership, work ethic and whatever else that's appealing to a pilot candidate for the Air Force. Also I will be retaking my AFOQT/TBAS tests within the next couple of months for better scores. 
I have had a whirlwind of a time dealing with recruiters and testing controllers. Recruiters tell me that they will not do anything to help me until i get my PPL, and how adornment they are about civilians not being picked up unless they have a ppl, and test controllers tell me i need to go through recruiters. Fortunately i found a test controller who is willing to help me achieve my dream. This guy has gone above and beyond to help me when others have not. I relocated to Nashville TN from columbus Ohio, and when i am ready to retake my test, i will make the 6 hour road trip to test with him seeing as how there are time frames of testing in the Nashville area for their cadets. All applications that i have submitted have been without a recruiter by my side guiding me on what to do.
Any advice on how to increase my chances of trying to chase after a dream is greatly appreciated.

If I were you, I’d start throwing apps out now and to every place hiring. You’re getting up in the territory where you’ll need an age waiver. Not a huge deal but an added factor.

Also, I’m not sure you have to go through a test controller for the AFOQT/TBAS. I went the ANG route and just called up the local ROTC detachment and they put me on the roster to take the AFOQT the next time they gave it.

I’d get the PPL. Understood it’s spending money on a possibility. But it’s a competitive business and will only increase your chances of success.

22 minutes ago, Darkness14 said:

I wouldn't worry about being "disadvantaged" because someone from the unit is rushing. Control what you can control. Maybe if someone has been turning wrenches on their airplanes in all sorts of weather since high school you should ask them about the unit.

Rushing squadrons: Show up on drill weekends prior to them having a board, bring a bottle to show appreciation... The rest you kind of just have to figure out.

Getting a PPL is expensive, and so is travelling around to different units... But I know people who have spent a ton of money and borrowed even more to do so. Some have gotten hired already, some haven't. All the more reason to show up and put maximum effort into getting hired.

Don't know about the reserve side, but you don't "need" a recruiter until you get the job... And at that point you'll pretty much have their contact info and it's relatively smooth. You only need a recruiter if you're trying to set up testing, which it seems you already have figured out.

Jump in there, bro. If you really want to know what they're looking for, just ask them.

In my experience, scores are a fairly big factor in getting interviews, especially recently. So when you take the tests make it count since you can only take each one twice in your lifetime. 

A ppl is not required but highly recommended plus will help you with the TBAS and AFOQT.

Im in the same boat as you age wise but there is still some time left for you to even go unsponsored to the AFRC board.

If you want, I  have a current list of recruiters and unit POCs for the AFRC that I can send you.

20 minutes ago, va121mir said:

In my experience, scores are a fairly big factor in getting interviews, especially recently. So when you take the tests make it count since you can only take each one twice in your lifetime. 

A ppl is not required but highly recommended plus will help you with the TBAS and AFOQT.

Im in the same boat as you age wise but there is still some time left for you to even go unsponsored to the AFRC board.

If you want, I  have a current list of recruiters and unit POCs for the AFRC that I can send you.

That would be dope, very much appreciated man. Not sure if there is a way to PM someone through this forum, if not let me know and i can give you my personal email address

On 4/4/2018 at 9:51 PM, va121mir said:

Hey I dropped you a message about the the recruiter's info. I am in the same boat starting the journey, waiting on AFOQT scores.