AD to ANG TAMP eligibility

So, my local AFRC has not been much help because I thought going AD to guard made you eligible for TAMP?   I thought a briefer in my TAPS class said I was, but that was five months ago, and I found this is the quote straight from the Tricare website:

"Separating from regular active duty service and agree to become a member of the Selected Reserve of a Reserve Component. The Service member must become a Selected Reservist the day immediately following release from regular active duty service to qualify. "

However, the main AFRC TAPS guy had me reference a three letter code on my sep orders, which he told me that it indicated I was not eligible.  Is this three letter code on my sep orders because my PF has not been completed yet, or is there something my gaining guard unit is supposed to doing in the various computer systems?  

I am starting to get close to my final out and it was a surprise to me when the AFRC guy said this to me.  I am waiting on some final paper work from my guard recruiter, but I don't believe I will have a break in service.  Stopping by my local Tricare and finishing up some final med stuff was on my to do over the next week, but I thought I would ask here to see if anyone has recent first hand knowledge. 

I went reserve last year, but hopefully this helps. There isn't any paperwork involved. The key is the date of separation. The orders don't flow until after the DOS and they take some time. They *should* get back dated to your DOS, but there will be a break in real-time for a few weeks (but no break on paper once it is finalized). Talk to the recruiter, not the TAPS guy. Mine acted like it was a non-issue. I bugged my DET a lot because I didn't want a gap in healthcare coverage, but you can just wait until the paperwork goes through to file any Tricare claims. Are you taking terminal after your final out?

As long as you swear into your ARC unit the day after your DOS (i.e. No break in service) you will get TAMP. The code on your sep orders is irrelevant. Your gaining ARC unit will take care of the TAMP stuff; recruiter and TAPs guy has nothing to do with it (and also is clueless).

Thanks for the reply's all!  I am taking terminal, about a month's worth.  Brabus, I was thinking that was the case but it scared me a bit when I am 2.5 months or so out and the local AFRC scares me into thinking I am not going to have coverage (or having to pay that ridiculous 1500 Tricare gap premium).  I will keep reaching out to my new unit.... just trying to keep the balance of staying on top of things vs. being the annoying new guy to a new platform/new guard unit.   As of now, I would prefer the free TAMP vs guard/airline healthcare.  

• 1 year later...

Anyone experience the apparent change in TAMP coverage following an ARC deployment?  Specifically, 60 day deployment = 6 months of Tricare Prime coverage followed by 6 months Tricare "Select" coverage (my case currently).  It should (has always been) 6 mo Tricare Prime before and after deployment.  Tricare Select (Tricare Standard over a year ago) is basically same as Tricare Reserve Select w/ NO monthly fees (you still have copayments/deductibles/catastrophic cap).  Am I missing something?

• 9 months later...

Is there a way to see in Milconnect or somewhere else my TAMP eligibility (AFRC part timer, doin orders for a month and a half - not necessarily a deployment, but Title 10 man days)?  Confirm ANY Title 10 orders over 31 days, allows for Tricare Prime while on orders, then 6 months of TAMP Tricare Prime after orders?  Just trying to find that reassurance somewhere instead of waiting until off orders to find out.