Pilot's Attitude/Personality

Guest Critical Mass

Guest Critical Mass

How often do you run into a pilot on active duty that could be a top notch officer, but doesn't fit the role of pilot well due to attitude or personality issues?

Currently I know of a cadet who will be going to ENJJPT once she commissions. She is certainly a top notch cadet when it comes to everything that factors into pilot selection, but I have a VERY hard time envisioning her dropping ordinance on another human being, regardless of how vile an enemy. In addition, I wouldn't have much confidence in her reaction to a life or death situation in the cockpit since she seems to want to fly because in her mind it will be all fun and games, not realizing it could be fatal.

Also, she has a habit of scolding others for unethical behavior (according to HER Christian beliefs) which I don't think will help her through UPT since she will certainly not agree with, or join in on, the "typical" weekend festivities.

I think that she could make an excellent officer but should perhaps stay away from pilot, maintenance, and other equally as "harsh" career fields.

Do those on active duty ever encounter pilots that make it through UPT that have similar personalities which prevent them from being effective pilots (or from bonding with the pilots around them)?

It's not all fun and games?

Seriously, there are those types out there. I had a person like that in my squadron, and it is tough to bond with them when they are never around in social situations. But when it's time to fly personal opinions take a backseat to getting the job done.

As long as the mission is accomplished, it doesn't really matter to most. I personally know a guy that Pray's for the other crew members during crew rest when they go out to party and drink and do whatever else they can find to do thats immoral and sinful...

C-Mass

If it is bad enough, the system should weed her out, either at UPT or RTU. Notice I said "should," not "will," there is no guarantee, but as you assessment is based on one person's opinion (nothing personal, just a fact), there is no telling whether it will happen or not; but I can tell you for the most part the USAF has its ways and for the most part they work.

Also, as discussed on other forums, if she washes out then at this time the chances of her being retained are slim. The AF is going through a "shaping" program to reduce the number of officers it has on AD, so unless she can fill a critical shortage in another career field, she will most likely be cut loose.

Cheers! M2

Guest Animal

I've dropped bombs with Mormons before.

Have faith in the system. ENJJPTIP will make sure she can make decisions in the cockpit at UPT. Hacker will ensure she can make it in an airplane that goes upside down at IFF. Toro will make sure she can master an MWS at RTU. M2 and I will have a crack at her (STS) in an Ops squadron. As mentioned above, as long as she can accomplish the misssion bewteen show time and crew rest...well, the rest of it don't matter then.

ANIMAL

We have not washed any females out of ENJJPT in quite a while, though we did have a couple of them quite within the last year. With the pace that ENJJPT/UPT takes, if you don't truly want to be here and think that you need to be here, you won't make it though. As IPs, one of the first things we can pick up on, long before we see how good your hands are, is your attitude, and attitude can make-or-break you at UPT.

As the other guys stated, there are many different types of people who make it through UPT, from the holiest of the Mormons to the most hedonistic sinners that you can find......like Beaver said, as long as you can do your job, that is all that really matters.

[ 09. January 2005, 09:18: Message edited by: ENJJPT IP ]

As far as the Mormon comment you sound your shocked.I knew an F-15E pilot who was a mormon and he said he get comments like that and thinks that there funny.There are tons of mormons in the service and as long there protecting there country its alright.

[ 09. January 2005, 13:05: Message edited by: scoobs ]

Guest Animal
Originally posted by scoobs:

As far as the Mormon comment you sound your shocked.I knew an F-15E pilot who was a mormon and he said he get comments like that and thinks that there funny.There are tons of mormons in the service and as long there protecting there country its alright.

That was exactly my point. It doesn't matter what your personal beliefs are...just your abilities and determination.

Guest Walter_Sobchak

One of the DGs out of my pilot training class was about the most devout Christian I know. What?'s comment above is correct, but just to make the point he's a Mormon and never drank BUT always made the effort to be part of the group. There was never anybody in the class or IPs who held his beliefs and choices against him. As far as fun and games go, just remember that simply because somebody enjoys their job dosen't mean they aren't acutely aware of the seriousness of it. I know people who've morted or come very close to it, but I love this work and wouldn't rather do anything else. I think pretty much anybody who's going to be a military pilot for any length of time is aware of the risks but dosen't dwell on them. Bottom line, Animal and ENJJPT IP are right - if she can't hack it, the system will figure that out sooner or later. For now just worry about getting yourself through the program.