Young ANG/AFR guys, what did you do full time

If you weren't AGR or technician, and had some type of job you worked either part time or "full" time, what did you do? Any non-flying jobs? Just trying to get an idea of what some guys did that was forgiving for their mil obligation in case i don't end up on some sort of full time status.

Thanks!

Edited by ayz33

Get familiar with USERRA protections if not already. I had a gig at an airline throwing bags paying my way through school. Told Mgmt i’m entering active duty, they said send my EAD orders to HR, they collected my badge and sent me off no questions asked. I also sent a copy of orders to my union too for record.

Been out 5.5 years and still have my position if i choose to go back. Still have flight benefits, been able to add my wife and kids to them as the years went on, it’s been pretty sweet. Word on the street is i still have my locker in our break room still too haha.

If anything i’d suggest a place with a large workforce that will have the manpower to cover your loss should you end up on 6 month orders short notice...that is if u care. If u dont, any company that supports your lifestyle between orders works in my experiences.

For insight into the “professional” companies, had a mentor working for Berkshire Hathaway doing “professional” type things.  He was on orders for like 4 years, BH did away with his former position and made a new one for him when his orders ended...then he ended up on long term orders again soon after he went back.

Edited by IMUA
  • Upvote 3

Definitely learn more about USERRA.  It's not a choice of whether a company is "forgiving" of service.  It's the law, they have to keep your job while you are away on orders.  

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, jonlbs said:

Anyone have any experience with PhD level engineering work for a company like JPL or similar? Is it feasible to balance such FULL time work with guard/reserve flying? I understand that being an engineer itself is definitely feasible but is it also possible for an engineering gig with a lot more responsibility? Like leading the team that designs the control system and algorithms for a rover that lands on titan or something similar for example.

I personally cannot attest to what you're asking for. However I worked for Lockheed Martin and I worked with a guy who flew in the reserves (Vipers) and said it was tough. He was often gone and when it came to performance review time he definitely felt he got short changed compared to others who were there year around. It's not supposed to have an effect on your job however it does. Just keep that in mind.

Edited by scott2375
Bad grammar
  • Upvote 1

Many of us have found that it's tough to do airlines and keep flying in the ARC, and airline FO sure as hell ain't PhD rocket surgery.  

IMHO and USERRA aside, if your team will notice you're gone and constantly have to pick up your slack, it's not a great match for ARC flying.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, nunya said:

Many of us have found that it's tough to do airlines and keep flying in the ARC, and airline FO sure as hell ain't PhD rocket surgery.  

IMHO and USERRA aside, if your team will notice you're gone and constantly have to pick up your slack, it's not a great match for ARC flying.

Really? Airline is the most common denominator of jobs people do. What is your ARC background? I'd be interested to hear your experience

Thanks all, i am aware of USERRA but like guys said some jobs just don't have the slack in them for you to be gone in random spurts (nondeployment) especially if you're a team lead or something of that nature.

I worked at Boeing while i was enlisted in ANG and they were cool with my AT's but flying is another beast. I guess it depends on how much flying per month is required? Also, how much advance do guard/reserve flyers get for the days they will be flying in the month to stay current?