C146 Wolfhound Info

Bode

So I just had a C-146 assignment tossed onto my plate. It’s not official but it’s a question as to if I want it. I’m not sure how much time I have to figure it out, so I’m looking for anyone who can speak intelligently about the program.

- How’s the lifestyle?

- Sq life?

- Ops tempo?

- Pros/Cons?

Duke Field itself is a pretty shitty base as far as bases go since they are a bastard child off Eglin AFB (who is primarily concerned with AFMC funding). However, the surrounding areas of Destin and FWB are fantastic. 

45 minutes ago, Vimix22 said:

Duke Field itself is a pretty shitty base as far as bases go since they are a bastard child off Eglin AFB (who is primarily concerned with AFMC funding). However, the surrounding areas of Destin and FWB are fantastic. 

Duke is an excellent base!

The 524th is an AFSOC unit on an AFMC base and both pretty much leaves everybody on Duke alone...

On 3/22/2018 at 7:22 PM, BashiChuni said:

In what world is duke a shitty base?! Jesus. 

My buddies there love everything about it. Can’t beat the beaches. 

I'm strictly speaking about the quality of buildings, support agencies, etc. Duke Field is in dire need of facilities and infrastructure upgrades and it seems like they keep putting more and more AFSOC units out there and they are running out of space. On the positive side, they do have an amazing out door gym filled will your latest Rogue fitness equipment and the 7 SFG is just down the road and they have a pretty good DFAC. 

In terms of what is available to do outside of the base, there is not much better in the DoD.

On 3/20/2018 at 9:02 AM, Bode said:

So I just had a C-146 assignment tossed onto my plate. It’s not official but it’s a question as to if I want it. I’m not sure how much time I have to figure it out, so I’m looking for anyone who can speak intelligently about the program.

- How’s the lifestyle?

- Sq life?

- Ops tempo?

- Pros/Cons?

What was your prior flying experience? I’m interested in the C-146 and I’m wondering what type of previous flying experience would be desirable to open up that door.

Edited by tx_flyer
Just trying to make more sense

• 4 months later...
2 hours ago, ClearedHot said:

Yes

Thanks.  I'm guessing the B-course is about 3-4 months.  I'm trying to time out scenarios to separate, then get hired by the airlines while also getting hired in the reserves.  My only known quantity in the process is that wherever I land in the airlines, I want to put in at least a solid year before I take any significant months away for mil activities (if possible).  I refuse to game the system to the detriment of my reputation or flying skills. 

I'll be in an API-6 billet near duke, so it's possible I could get qual'd in the C-146 before transitioning out of AD, though unlikely, especially with that new ADSC guidance.  I might not even get re-qual'd in the herk.  Not worth 3 more years of big blue's concept of "stability".  Not really sure how to weave it all together in such a way that it's not a drain on the reserve unit, but still build my continuity in the airlines. 

The  most feasible scenario in my head is to wait until after the first year of the airlines and then try and get hired in the reserves.  It's either that, or find a C-130J unit to work for (will need an in-house requal).  Duke would make it great as I wouldn't have to commute to work there though.

I'm open to wisdom on the transition.

• 4 weeks later...

Thread revival. 

Im very interested in applying to the reserve C-146 unit at duke field. Not a lot of information online that I could find. Do they hire dudes off the street? Also if anyone flys the plane or does the NSAv mission and would be willing to share I’m most interested in that. Seems like a very cool low key mission

They hire off the street but they can't tell you much about the mission. You've got to trust that it's an insanely cool gig... the most they told me was "we do a regular mission with sprinkles on top" sounded awesome but they also said once they have you they have you. You'll be at Duke for the long haul if you get in. 

51 minutes ago, Siegzy said:

They hire off the street but they can't tell you much about the mission. You've got to trust that it's an insanely cool gig... the most they told me was "we do a regular mission with sprinkles on top" sounded awesome but they also said once they have you they have you. You'll be at Duke for the long haul if you get in. 

It’s SOF airlift...not much of a secret. If you’re wanting to know more, find someone in the squadron and talk offline. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Siegzy said:

What an odd post. 

You've met the 10% rule criteria, well played.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Siegzy said:

Sprinkles??? Lol

1 hour ago, Cork said:

Can someone that has flown this thing please help a bro out. You guys are either really secretive or really busy bc it’s hard to find love on this forum. 

Thanks 

Google is a wonderful thing...

https://www.af.mil/About-Us/Fact-Sheets/Display/Article/467729/c-146a-wolfhound/

http://www.americanspecialops.com/usaf-special-operations/intra-theater-aircraft/

https://www.airforce-technology.com/projects/c-146a-wolfhound-transport-aircraft/

As for contact info, look up 859 SOS at Eglin on the global and start calling or emailing...  It’s that simple!

Edited by Tank

1 hour ago, Cork said:

Hey guys I really appreciate the info. I’ve read all there is about the airplane and mission that’s available on google but I wanted to talk to a pilot of one of these things if they even exist. 

Some questions:

1.) Do you live near Duke?

2.) Are you already in the military / pilot?

If the answer to both is yes , stop in the squadron and see them in person.  If the answer is no to #1 and yes to #2, get on the global and call or email them.  If the answer is no to both, then you’re probably SOL.