UPT Academics & Study Prep

Amish

Question

Hello All!

This is my first post; please be gentle.

I’ve been lurking here and at the AirForceOTS forums looking for a line on academics to study prior to UPT. From what I understand, you can go in without much prior knowledge and be fine.

However, if there was ever a time you said to yourself, “Yeah if I had been habitually bored in the months leading up to OTS/IFT/UPT, I wish I would have learned more about ‘X’.” I would appreciate that insight!

For example, this BaseOps link talks about academics covering aerospace physiology:

Would reading the Handbook of Operational and Aerospace Physiology (that I rapid googled after I read that) give me even the tiniest bit of scholastic edge or is it a fool’s errand?

I appreciate the pointers. I’m still trying to figure this all out.

2 answers to this question

BLUF: I wouldn't sweat the pre-study too much. As far as Phase 1 academics go, there is not much you can do to pre-study. The tests are all built around the course material so filling your brain full of extraneous material is not going to help come test time. In all of the subject areas, including AFE, they teach to the test so I wouldn't bother with anything above and beyond. 

Things you can look over are general IFR flight rules that come from the 11-217 v1-3 and the "how to fly a T-6" pub the aetcman 11-248. Make sure you are getting the latest copies from e-pubs. If you are really bored I recommend checking out some of the YouTube people like MzeroA or others that are CFIIs. The stuff they teach about IFR flight can be extremely helpful once you hit instruments/nav. Specifically, I'd look at how to read an approach plate, types of approaches, how to write/read an IFR clearance, weather requirements, radios, and maybe listen to some LiveATC for context. Good luck! 

21 hours ago, Vimix22 said:

BLUF: I wouldn't sweat the pre-study too much. As far as Phase 1 academics go, there is not much you can do to pre-study. The tests are all built around the course material so filling your brain full of extraneous material is not going to help come test time. In all of the subject areas, including AFE, they teach to the test so I wouldn't bother with anything above and beyond. 

Things you can look over are general IFR flight rules that come from the 11-217 v1-3 and the "how to fly a T-6" pub the aetcman 11-248. Make sure you are getting the latest copies from e-pubs. If you are really bored I recommend checking out some of the YouTube people like MzeroA or others that are CFIIs. The stuff they teach about IFR flight can be extremely helpful once you hit instruments/nav. Specifically, I'd look at how to read an approach plate, types of approaches, how to write/read an IFR clearance, weather requirements, radios, and maybe listen to some LiveATC for context. Good luck! 

Thanks man, I appreciate it!