AF Reserve Age Limit

1 hour ago, shirkc1 said:

So I heard rumors that the Reserves have or are pushing the max age limit without a waiver to 35. Does anyone know if there is any truth in this, possibly with some supporting documentation?

Haven’t heard that. Had to get an ETP for the recent AFRC UPT board. 

• 2 months later...

I have a question on age limit regarding CA ANG. I served 4 yrs active USCG honorable, and was interested in ANG. I am 45 and I contacted AF Reserve and my age prevents me from joining, so I was wondering if age requirements apply to ANG. Any help would be appreciated

On June 13, 2018 at 8:03 PM, Possum_Tacos said:

I have a question on age limit regarding CA ANG. I served 4 yrs active USCG honorable, and was interested in ANG. I am 45 and I contacted AF Reserve and my age prevents me from joining, so I was wondering if age requirements apply to ANG. Any help would be appreciated

You have a better chance getting a waiver in the reserves than you do in the guard in my experience. The age limits are the same in both components.

13 hours ago, wannabe88 said:

You have a better chance getting a waiver in the reserves than you do in the guard in my experience. The age limits are the same in both components

I've actually experienced some of the opposite as non-prior service, with a few Reserves units saying no dice on NPS ETPs and ANG hasn't said anything. There's some conflicting regulations in the AFIs for ETPs for non-prior. 

In the Policies and Procedures (don't see an AFI number on it) for applying to UPT revised 4 Jan 2018, Attachment 3, section 2, says this about ETPs for age: "Beginning with the Nov 2012 HQ AFRC UFT selection board, applications from non-prior service members containing an ETP request for relief from age limits will not be accepted." It goes on to reference AFI 36-2205.

However, AFI 36-2105, released 25 May 2018, supersedes 36-2205 and has eased the language on ETPs (leaving discretion with the Wing Commander, as I see it, and having applications go right from the wing to AFRC/A3C, apparently skipping the NAF) and says nothing about restrictions for NPS applicants. 

So, honestly, I'm confused. It seems like there have been a few stories I've heard of NPS getting ETPs and hired recently, but I also don't know if maybe those are just NGB hires and Reserves have had a block in place that NGB doesn't. Or is that restriction just for Unsponsored UPT slots?

Am I missing or misreading something, or is there some other way that's getting bypassed?

On June 20, 2018 at 9:46 AM, FDNYOldGuy said:

I've actually experienced some of the opposite as non-prior service, with a few Reserves units saying no dice on NPS ETPs and ANG hasn't said anything. There's some conflicting regulations in the AFIs for ETPs for non-prior. 

In the Policies and Procedures (don't see an AFI number on it) for applying to UPT revised 4 Jan 2018, Attachment 3, section 2, says this about ETPs for age: "Beginning with the Nov 2012 HQ AFRC UFT selection board, applications from non-prior service members containing an ETP request for relief from age limits will not be accepted." It goes on to reference AFI 36-2205.

However, AFI 36-2105, released 25 May 2018, supersedes 36-2205 and has eased the language on ETPs (leaving discretion with the Wing Commander, as I see it, and having applications go right from the wing to AFRC/A3C, apparently skipping the NAF) and says nothing about restrictions for NPS applicants. 

So, honestly, I'm confused. It seems like there have been a few stories I've heard of NPS getting ETPs and hired recently, but I also don't know if maybe those are just NGB hires and Reserves have had a block in place that NGB doesn't. Or is that restriction just for Unsponsored UPT slots?

Am I missing or misreading something, or is there some other way that's getting bypassed?

Hey brotha, great information!  I am by no means an expert and am prior, so my experience has been a little different than it probably is for NPS guys/gals. I've actually been hired with an ETP by two ANG units, so I'm by no means saying you can't get an ETP on the guard side.  When I had been speaking with the reserves recruiters they all seemed to make ETP's seem like they're pretty simple as long as you get sponsored by a unit. The time table seems to be a little quicker on the reserves side for FC1's and final approvals. The last time I spoke with a reserves recruiter he told me that you could not apply unsponsored needing an ETP. At the end of the day, you miss 100 percent of the shots you don't take.