Diego Garcia

Guest Pogo

Seen a similar posting elsewhere, has anyone heard of any problems out in Diego Garcia since the quakes etc in the last few days?

Guest C5Heavy

It is a problem since the maxium elevation is 22 feet and average elevation is 4 feet.

Geological Report:

1983, November 30. A magnitude 7.6 Ms (USGS) earthquake at 17:46 UT caused some damage (MMI VI) to buildings and piers on Diego Garcia in the Indian Ocean. There was a 1.5- meter rise in water height in the lagoon and significant wave damage near the southeastern tip of the island. Four-centimeter waves with 20-minute periods were recorded at Victoria,Seychelles,and a large zone of discolored seawater was seen 35 to 40 nautical miles NNW of Diego Garcia.

Latest report was in 2003.

[ 27. December 2004, 09:35: Message edited by: C5Heavy ]

Got this from another (RAF) forum, when someone asked if DG was close to the epicenter:

Not really, relatively about the same distance as Gan in the Maldives. Gan one of the islands of Addu Atol, southernmost atoll of the Maldives - 42 miles south of the Equator. Diego Garcia is part of the Chagos group, about 400 miles further south again. Like the Maldives, they would have experienced waves around 4-5ft at that distance I reckon. Still high enough to swamp the island though as it topped out at around 3-4 ft above sea level when I was there during the initial building stages (Project Reindeer Station).
Still, haven't heard from anyone who was there. Maybe they are all out surfing?

Cheers! M2

Guest MitchBaernet

THIS from globalsecurity.org:

Initial indications are that Diego Garcia was not affected by the Andaman Tsunami of 26 December 2004. It is located south of the tip of India, well with in range of what the tsunami, with a max elevation of 22 and an average elevation of only 4 feet. Civilians monitoring shortwave radio reported on rec.radio.shortwave that a female operator, in answer to a query from an aircraft after giving weather information, reported no ill effects from the earthquake. So everything appears well on Diego Garcia.

[ 27. December 2004, 12:10: Message edited by: Mitch ]

Ah sounds good, isn't it odd we learnt because a hobbyist heard something probably on treble-one HF and posted it to the Internet?!

My sources tell me there was only about 3-4' waves with no damage at least to the airfield or downtown. Sounds like it didn't do much of anything other than stir up some mud in the lagoon.

I would have been real pissed off if I couldn't make my own pizza at the turner club anymore.

[ 27. December 2004, 18:08: Message edited by: GBock ]