Stratux?

Does anyone have any experience with the Stratux ADS-B puck? I’m looking into buying one because, from all appearances, it offers similar functionality to the Stratus 2S at 1/4 the cost.

I just bought one, should be here this week. I'll try to PIREP when I get a chance. My setup is Fltplan Go with an android tablet. The form factor leaves something to be desired with the external antennas, and battery pack being strapped together with a velcro strap all bush league. But I just wanted the cheapest compatible ADSB-in for my EFB client, which this one is.

For the past 6 years I've used an old single-band Skyradar puck with its dedicated software. It's wifi is only detectable by iCrap products and I got sick and tired of toting a second device (disconnected iphone 4S acting as a de facto ipod touch) in order to run the skyradar app when I need to play frogger with the weather. Can't believe the thing retailed for 700 bucks in 2012. Things have come a long way.

My only interest in ADSB-in hardware is the FIS-B feed goodies; I couldn't care less about TIS or portable AHRS functionality, though I'm sure it's fine for it. Now, if you're asking about attempting to sneak one of these things for work as a "SA builder"? The form factor is a no-go for me. I'd want an all in one puck in order to keep everything simple and FOD-proof. But of course this is all hypothetical because we AETC warriors don't do EFB. We very much prefer to get violated while shuffling through reams of ripped apart charts and [crewdog-standard] hastily stuffed bible-page approach books at mach snot into DFW class B, busting headings and altitudes with a CAPster in the FCP, while everybody else taps on a glass screen and voilá. LOL

• Upvote 1

I've had one for over year.  I used it temporarily while my Navworx box was being repaired.  I've since replaced that with another panel mounted solution.

Stratux units work fine and can be built quite inexpensively or you can buy turnkey units from a variety of resellers off Amazon.    There are literally dozens of antenna options, some more elegant than others.  I prefer the antennas that attach directly to the SDR.   The only real issue that I had was that the USB power cable would vibrate loose causing intermittent power issues.  In all fairness, that may be a function of the design of the case not supporting the adapter adequately.

I never bothered with the AHRS features.  I already had three in the panel and a fourth would have been just a waste of money.

Even in my RV, I prefer panel mounted devices over a bunch of boxes sitting on the glareshield or someplace else.

Cannot speak to Stratux but highly recommend Stratus. My unit bought them the minute they were approved and it is a huge SA tool paired with ForeFlight on the EFBs. We use the Stratux on every sortie unless our profile won't allow it. It works in the low-level environment up to FL410+. Can't believe the AF hasn't embraced this more.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Right Seat Driver said:

Can't believe the AF hasn't embraced this more.

It’s far too logical a low-cost COTS solution for that. It’s the perfect paradoxical opposition, really. 

It performs so seemlessly and economically that GSC is trying to kill it for savings. Over what amounts to a rounding error in their budget. 

• 3 years later...

Just bought one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071HMQY19/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and used it for a long cross country through the recent thunderstorm swath across the NE, paired it with the Ipad mini (a 5 I believe) and Fight plan go (free from garmin).  Worked very well, can build it cheaper than they sell it, but I needed it and wasn't sure of the learning curve... came with a battery and it turns on by plugging the battery into the unit which I don't necessarily love, but don't have a good alternative to yet. I then plug the battery into ships 5v usb supply, seems to work fine.  If only the damn Ipad didn't overheat in the sun...

AHRS looks accurate, have to calibrate it for the installation location on the aircraft, but might come in handy one day.

ADS-B + Weather is simply awesome, amazing how far we've come!